Biggest pet peeves...

killigraphy

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Or use initialisms and think they're acronyms, because the meaning of 'acronym' has been diluted through sloppy usage of the term. To be pedantic, an acronym is pronounced like a word -- SCUBA, LASER, etc. -- while an initialism spells out the letters -- 'CoH' pronounced as 'Cee-oh-aitch'.

Funny story...

My brother and I were talking about LASER once, and what it stood for.

He said, "Light Amplification by...Something... Emission of Radiation."

I replied, "I know that the S doesn't stand for "Something".

At the time we couldn't recall that it stood for Stimulated.

Just one of those brain-fart moments that are memorable.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Or use initialisms and think they're acronyms,

Hmmm? I do mean TLA as an acronym. It's pronounced Tah-Lah.

IKR - pronounced Ich-ar.

OIC - pronounced Oik.

SMH - pronounced Sa-ma-huh.

KFC - pronounced Kuf-ka.

Edited by Lunchmoney
IKR pronunciation corrected.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

47 minutes ago, Lunchmoney said:

Hmmm? I do mean TLA as an acronym. It's pronounced Tah-Lah.

IKR - pronounced Ichor.

OIC - pronounced Oik.

SMH - pronounced Sa-ma-huh.

KFC - pronounced Kuf-ka.

I think 'chat speak' has its own set of "rules". 

Granted one of my most used acronyms... TSTFO is one I used at an old job to mark work orders of customers the were too stupid to f'n operate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

My pet peeve (and its something I admittedly do still, but am working on it) is posts that go (and while this is specific to these forums, it can be used elsewhere)

"we need x"
"the devs need to do x"

Please stop. It's driving me up the wall and through the roof.

• Like 2

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

4 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

KILL SUPER STUNNERS FIRST! Twice for more xp.

An observation I made from a number of "defeat Freakshow in [location]" missions -- if there's no one within melee range of a Super Stunner when you drop them, they don't rez -- they need a body to draw End from in order for their self-rez to work. Since I discovered this, whether I try to get separation on Super Stunners when I drop them depends on how much my character will be affected by the End drain.

15 hours ago, Snarky said:

Not having a magic flight temp power from P2W  How many wizards, zombies and ghosts do i have at low level using a raptor pack?   jeez

10 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

You mean below lvl 4 where you can pick Mystic Flight? 🤔

There is a "temp" flight power available at the p2W vendor at level 1.

you just have to deal with getting detoggled and not being allowed to use ANY other power while it's in use.

It's the magic carpet.

Right next to the Rocketboard and void skimmer.

Would be nice if they removed the detoggling part of that and just made it suppression instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

People who say "To be honest", or "Honestly".

Does this mean you haven't been honest up to now?

This goes through my head every time I hear and see it.  It's quite distracting.  

And people tend to get put off when you mention it!  If only they would listen to what they say...

• Like 1

Another thing that is my pet peeve is perhaps very very limited in who it aims for - but the cry for transparency or to let the community have more of a hand in the development process (in any form more than what we have) drives me absolutely up the wall.

Furthermore, the aspect of specific posts that seem to pull down one's pants and shit all over the dev's current methodology, process, or current scope of the development...for their server.

• Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

4 hours ago, Rishidian said:

This goes through my head every time I hear and see it.  It's quite distracting.  

And people tend to get put off when you mention it!  If only they would listen to what they say...

I've a similar one that pet peeve is too strong to call it, but it does make me stop:  "In my opinion"  Well duh, when it's obviously an opinion and not a quote.  Often combined with "In my honest opinion".

7 hours ago, Rishidian said:

I worked in customer service for a few years and it was drilled into us to not say that to anyone. And it really grated on me whenever a particular woman who sat behind said it. 

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

7 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I've a similar one that pet peeve is too strong to call it, but it does make me stop:  "In my opinion"  Well duh, when it's obviously an opinion and not a quote.  Often combined with "In my honest opinion".

You'd think that, but 'That's just your opinion' gets thrown around so often that stating up front that, yes, indeed, this opinion that I'm stating IS my opinion can help head it off at the pass.

Or you can just start telling people that, no, actually, I'm using my mind control powers.  This is your opinion now.  This is everyone's opinion.

But then people think you're being weird about it.  :classic_sad:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

13 hours ago, Rishidian said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2