Biggest pet peeves...

killigraphy

32 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Unless you are now missing approximately 1/10th of your forces, you were NOT "Decimated".

The term you were looking for was "DEVASTATED".

The OED, however, reports that decimate also has come "rhetorically or loosely" to mean, "To destroy or remove a large proportion of; to subject to severe loss, slaughter, or mortality."

35 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Unless you are now missing approximately 1/10th of your forces, you were NOT "Decimated".
The term you were looking for was "DEVASTATED".

THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!

In the same vein: definitely and defiantly are not the same and are not interchangeable. Along with loose/lose, your/you're, they're/their/there, etc.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

It has two 'r's.

It's not 'lieberry'.

I assume you are talking about LIBRARY

By the way - 'lieberry' - as you spelled it, also has 2 r's.

We must remember - the R's are separated - Li -brare -ee

Which, by the way, are almost a thing of the past - sadly - and therefore a temporary word crime.

57 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

I assume you are talking about LIBRARY

By the way - 'lieberry' - as you spelled it, also has 2 r's.

We must remember - the R's are separated - Li -brare -ee

Which, by the way, are almost a thing of the past - sadly - and therefore a temporary word crime.

I figured folks would work it out... and you did.

🙂

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

9 hours ago, srmalloy said:

The OED, however, reports that decimate also has come "rhetorically or loosely" to mean, "To destroy or remove a large proportion of; to subject to severe loss, slaughter, or mortality."

Translation.  Because of sloppy usage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Just now, Doomguide2005 said:

I believe the term is 'living' vs 'dead' ... and not in a 9/10 sort of way 😜

Again due to sloppy usage of "decimated" as opposed to "devastated".

Proper usage is 1/10th...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

In this same vein, people that use the "language evolves over time" excuse to justify their incessantly lazy and incorrect use of terminology.

Edited by ForeverLaxx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

13 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

English is not a static language, the way the Délégation générale à la langue française et aux langues de France tries to establish French versions of words and terms to keep French 'pure', like "émission à la demande" for 'podcast' (the object), with different terms for the action of making a podcast, the action of receiving a podcast, and the action of presenting podcasts for download. Common usage drives what becomes acceptable English.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

English is not a static language, the way the Délégation générale à la langue française et aux langues de France tries to establish French versions of words and terms to keep French 'pure', like "émission à la demande" for 'podcast' (the object), with different terms for the action of making a podcast, the action of receiving a podcast, and the action of presenting podcasts for download. Common usage drives what becomes acceptable English.

Still doesn't mean the usage isn't sloppy.  The term "decimate" actually pre-exists English and has an actual, specific meaning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

We 'mericans done cast our pods any damn way we please if that don't snag lightning and leave ya like a ball in high grass.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

After 14 pages of careful reading and digesting the content of this post:

Soloing presents some issues teaming does not.

Teaming presents some issues that soloing does not.

Acronyms are Cool.

PB and Banana are quite good. I also sometimes make Toasted Crunchy PB and Cheese Sandwiches.

I Prefer steaks Medium so that I don't have to fight to keep it from escaping mid-meal.

Crab is good.

Apple Pie with Ice Cream.

Baked Apples with Bacon and Cheddar, very special.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

12 hours ago, Marine X said:

After 14 pages of careful reading and digesting the content of this post:

Soloing presents some issues teaming does not.

Teaming presents some issues that soloing does not.

Acronyms are Cool.

PB and Banana are quite good. I also sometimes make Toasted Crunchy PB and Cheese Sandwiches.

I Prefer steaks Medium so that I don't have to fight to keep it from escaping mid-meal.

Crab is good.

Apple Pie with Ice Cream.

Baked Apples with Bacon and Cheddar, very special.

Interesting choice ... 'digesting'

And word play is fun!

• 3 weeks later