Biggest pet peeves...

killigraphy

That 'Clear history' on a tab's right-click - is right next to 'delete tab'.

Grrrr.... 😤

• Like 1

" Reporting for Duty Sweetheart!." - Dropping My Knitting To Buff You Whilst Hitting! - Proudly Protecting Paragons Little Ones Since 2005.

" Wow! - You're like a Hot Yoda!.... only taller! "  - Soul Stalker.
" I knew there was Evil under that All-American girl persona! " -
RockJaw.

" Hey! - Aren't you that roleplayer that says 'up you get' all the time? " - funny (unconscious) generic hero 01.

31 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

That's when you sigh and say "Water's fine".... 

Pretty much, only I skip the whole soda thing because I quit drinking it about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 minutes ago, Mother's Love said:

That 'Clear history' on a tab's right-click - is right next to 'delete tab'.

Grrrr.... 😤

That's one of the reasons I use Ctrl+Shift+Del to access the Clear Cache/History dialog.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

16 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Me: Iced tea please.
Server:  Would you like Peach or Raspberry?
Me: I would like Tea-flavoured tea.

This has been my conversation with servers on multiple occasions.

This to me sounds like a server trying to upsell since a lot of places will charge more for flavored tea if they add the flavoring themselves.

Lot of us Texans in this thread which leads me to a pet peeve...

saying Texas is “The South”

Texas is in the southern US, but I would not consider it “The South.”  As far as regions, we would be our own region because the state varies so much. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Texas is in the southern US, but I would not consider it “The South.”  As far as regions, we would be our own region because the state varies so much. 

Texas has it's own style of BBQ so I've never considered it the South. Plus you guys were your own country for awhile.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

41 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Then do you consider The South The North?

23 minutes ago, Lines said:

I’d break up the regions like this: north East, the south, the Midwest, tornado alley, Texas, the west, west coast, Alaska, Hawaii and pacific territories. 

edit:

I could be convinced to separate west coast into California and pacific NW

Edited by 0th Power
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lines said:

Let me put it in UK terms. Imagine if the country of Ireland was separated in two by politics and war.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

51 minutes ago, Lines said:

Could be worse.  As crazy as it sounds,

• The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury.
  • Due north of the center we find the South End.
  • This is not to be confused with South Boston, which lies directly east from the South End.
  • North of the South End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End

Those are all actually true.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Texas its a whole other country...

Spent 18 hours of a 24 hour drive going through Texas.

Might have been 16 hours.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MTeague said:

Could be worse.  As crazy as it sounds,

• This is not to be confused with South Boston, which lies directly east from the South End.
  • North of the South End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End

Those are all actually true.

Someone's compass must have been proper broken.

10 hours ago, MTeague said:

From Canton to Peabody 128 South and 95 North are the same road... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

Texas its a whole other country...

Spent 18 hours of a 24 hour drive going through Texas.

Might have been 16 hours.

It’s also a whole other country because we have a special kind of crazy down there, which you may have seen exhibited by some of our politicians. Of course, I say “we” as a former resident (albeit of 50 years). Don’t miss anything down there, except breakfast tacos. No one seems to know what that is anywhere else.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:09 PM, EmmySky said:

Very common convo in my college dorm on the third floor:

Hey I'm going down to the machine to get a coke, you want one?

Sure.

What kind?

Dr. Pepper.

This is syntactically correct.  If people had preferences in tissue paper, the conversation would be along the lines of "Can you hand me a Kleenex?/What kind?/Puffs."

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 7/15/2020 at 11:32 AM, DoctorDitko said:

I'm allergic to tobacco smoke, but turns out to be the additives.

As am I. I've done some investigating, and it's one of the chemicals they use in commercial cigarette paper -- cigar smoke and pipe smoke don't bother me (unless it's crap tobacco, or it gets thick), and neither do hand-rolled cigarettes, while if I strip a commercial cigarette to burn just the paper, it makes me nauseous.

18 minutes ago, roleki said:

This is syntactically correct.  If people had preferences in tissue paper, the conversation would be along the lines of "Can you hand me a Kleenex?/What kind?/Puffs."

Furthermore, we can all agree that "Can you hand me a fruit?/What Kind?/Tomato" is somehow incorrect.

Things don't have to make sense to make sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Lines said:

Furthermore, we can all agree that "Can you hand me a fruit?/What Kind?/Tomato" is somehow incorrect.

That's due to an legal case over import duties. Vegetables were assessed import duties, fruit was not. Tomatoes had historically been taxed as vegetables, but a lawsuit was brought by an importer wanting to avoid paying the duty claiming that, because they were botanically fruit, the duty didn't apply. The court ruled that, because tomatoes were used culinarily as vegetables, they were legally vegetables for import purposes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

As am I. I've done some investigating, and it's one of the chemicals they use in commercial cigarette paper -- cigar smoke and pipe smoke don't bother me (unless it's crap tobacco, or it gets thick), and neither do hand-rolled cigarettes, while if I strip a commercial cigarette to burn just the paper, it makes me nauseous.

I wonder if they make that cigarette paper out of cat hair.

I'm allergic to cats.

But, I tend to get severe headaches when I'm around cigarette smokers.

Pipe smokers and cigar smokers don't affect me the same way.

I don't care for the smell of either, but they don't give me headaches.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, SwitchFade said:

I vote...

Pet peeve threads...

Amarite? GAH! Hate those things like butter on a skateboard.

I can't see butter on a skateboard being tasty at all. Maybe if you marinade it long enough in something acidic and herb rich but even then.....

Pet Peave?  Mmmm.....2nd Highlander movie. Even the "Renegade Version" is pretty bad. 

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

That's due to an legal case over import duties. Vegetables were assessed import duties, fruit was not. Tomatoes had historically been taxed as vegetables, but a lawsuit was brought by an importer wanting to avoid paying the duty claiming that, because they were botanically fruit, the duty didn't apply. The court ruled that, because tomatoes were used culinarily as vegetables, they were legally vegetables for import purposes.

That is fascinating.