I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

Have you ever just tried a character name, knowing there was no way you'd get it... And got it?

It's happened a few times with me, once with CAPTAIN CAPS LOCK, another time with The Merry Tsoo.

But recently I made a tiger-themed scrapper, and just for fun tried Apex Predator -- and now he's mine!

On Torchbearer. Tremble, villains of Torchbearer! The Apex Predator is on the prowl!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

One night, when it may have been the case that I had a few beers too many, I made a new alt, and was shocked that I was able to get a certain name. Upon waking up in the morning and logging in, I was greeted by Sister Psyco. Derp.

Edited by drbuzzard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was fairly surprised when no one picked up 'Ice Minstrel' or 'Jungle Jenny' on TB before I did.  

One major source of my character names is fairly obscure mythology, which means I am mildly pleased when they're taken.  Didn't expect to get plain 'Circe' so I went with 'Circe of Aeaea'; 'Medea' was taken, 'Medeia' was not.  But I was mildly taken aback when I got beaten to 'Belphoebe'   and 'Britomart'.  I did grab 'Penthesilea', though. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I just try combinations of two words that fit the theme/powerset. Most of the time I get something acceptable with a little thesaurus work that surprises me when it isn't taken. I tried a Fire/energy Blaster the other day and got the name "Cobalt Blaze". That ones available on Torchbearer if anyone wants it since I scrapped that character because I still don't like the fire sfx.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I was able to snag the name of my main on every server except the one I wound up playing on. I have managed to grab a few good ones though. I think my favorite so far is 'A Woman Scorned', and yes, last week I did finally get the 'Hell Hath No Fury' badge to match.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I was so thrilled when the name Caberet was available that I googled my spelling (I cannot spell my way out of a paper bag) only to find I had, indeed, misspelled it.  No matter, threw some taxi checks on her and a jaunty beret, took recall friend and away she goes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dafydd Hywel said:

I had the opposite earlier today. I had a character concept and a name in my head that I thought was so niche it was BOUND to be available.  Nope.

That's the way it usually goes for me, too. XP

*grumps* When I moved Harry from Everlasting to Excelsior, I couldn't even get his name. I had to improvise.

I hope whoever has Haroeris on Ex is actually using the name and it's not just parked on some abandoned level 1 alt. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

It's always been easy for me to get some name... It just varies how deep into the wordhoard to delve.

Eventually, I give up. The Cerulean Coleopterid just doesn't have the same punch as the Blue Beetle!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I surprisingly got Mr Breeze just the other day. I was listening to a Skynyrd song on the radio and I said there’s a concept I could come up with. I had been wanting  to see what Storm was all about and now I at least got a cool name to go with the concept. 

Enjoy Storm, Mr. Breeze!

Embrace the chaos!

One of my favorite sets!

14 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Eventually, I give up. The Cerulean Coleopterid just doesn't have the same punch as the Blue Beetle!

I dunno I quite like that. It has a certain lyrical quality. I also like the idea of a superhero who chooses a complicated name to confuse the bad guys. If they are busy trying to work out what the name means they are less focused on the fight!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lol! I can see that!

It might slow them down, too, if they can't pronounce it!

"Boss! It's the Cer-- uh, the Cerool-- oh, heck, it's that bug guy! He's behind-- Oh, never mind!"

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

lol!

(Possibly NSFW)

Davinci's Notebook is a local band:

Edited by DoctorDitko
nsfw

56 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Enjoy Storm, Mr. Breeze!

Embrace the chaos!

One of my favorite sets!

Yeah I have been thinking of rolling an ice/storm controller. For some reason I really love ice in this game. 

Excellent combo! (The slows help keep bad guys in range of the stormy chaos goodness.)

Hailstorm Warning is my Storm/Ice Defender (recommended), on Torch. Way too much fun!

Edited by DoctorDitko

That cries out for a Supergroup!

• Like 1

The name I figured would be a shoe in but, was taken was...Wardencyffe.

For those who don't know the origin, it's the tower Nicola Tesla built to try and transmit wireless electricity.

My respects to whoever did bag that name. I hope I run into you in game to see the character concept. I have no doubt it will be a cool one😁

With a bit of concept tweaking and, some more fexibility in my name sesrch, I still got a character I am happy with so, all worked out for me.

• Like 2