I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

2 hours ago, BastionWalls said:

A couple of my favorite cattle-based characters on Indom,

My Plant/TA Controller: Bow-Vine (honestly shocked when that was available)

My Warshade that didn't quite understand about merging with a willing host after escaping the Nictus: Udder Misteak

There needs to be a cross-server supergroup for all the cows. My herd on Everlasting are happy to support their bovine brethren!

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

2 hours ago, Cutter said:

There needs to be a cross-server supergroup for all the cows. My herd on Everlasting are happy to support their bovine brethren!

I'm pretty happy with my pair of cows: "Deja Mu" and "Pavlov's Bull"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lemming said:

I'm pretty happy with my pair of cows: "Deja Mu" and "Pavlov's Bull"

Nice.

So far I've got:

(Excelsior) Cattleclysm

(Indomitable) BEEF CANNON

(Everlasting - home of "The Herd" SG) Armoogeddon, Mooclear Winter, Grass Fed, Mootant, Boycow, BEEF CANNON, Methanephetamine

Seems my brain is always noodling beef-based puns.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I still say I'd like to see them revamp the naming system.  There's an awful lot of names that are encumbered with weird characters and letters, punctuation and so on... evidence that people couldn't make a name they liked without trying to work around the current system.

As I said before, linking the character's name to the @handle would do the trick, and has done so in other games.

(ie. My character named Ultimo would appear as Ultimo in the game, but the server would identify him as Ultimo@Ultimo1... allowing other players to have a character named Ultimo, where the server would identify them as Ultimo@handle.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later

Updates from my last post in May... Because why not? 🙂

I have acquired and use the following since then on Excelsior:

Glean.  He sucks.  Literally, enemies go down from his just standing about. 🙂  Still kinda can't believe nobody else got this one.

Super Jump.  You can guess what his specialty is.  That nobody got this is amazing to me.

The Tase. Only uses the Taser.  Yeah yeah, I know... 

Political Man. Ill/Sonic Controller.  He's a villain, naturally. 🙂

Punch One. So... maybe you've heard of some comic out there...? 

And on Everlasting, I got Gobstopper One.   I really thought that would have been taken.  Someone has 'Gobstopper' of course, but still.

Okies, that's all I got today, laters!

On 6/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, Ultimo said:

I still say I'd like to see them revamp the naming system.  There's an awful lot of names that are encumbered with weird characters and letters, punctuation and so on... evidence that people couldn't make a name they liked without trying to work around the current system.

Not as bad as the torrent of "xXxWolverinexXx" variations from back on Live that started about five femtoseconds after someone noticed that you could create almost perfect copies of the Marvel character's costumes in the costume creator. I remember using the stopwatch feature on my wristwatch to time how long it took me to see a Claws/Regen Scrapper with a 'Wolverine' ripoff variant name; is don't think I ever got past a minute until Cryptic got hit with the suit from Marvel.

18 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Not as bad as the torrent of "xXxWolverinexXx" variations from back on Live that started about five femtoseconds after someone noticed that you could create almost perfect copies of the Marvel character's costumes in the costume creator. I remember using the stopwatch feature on my wristwatch to time how long it took me to see a Claws/Regen Scrapper with a 'Wolverine' ripoff variant name; is don't think I ever got past a minute until Cryptic got hit with the suit from Marvel.

I really dislike that style where you add an x around the name or a hyphen in front or a period somewhere. Looks silly. 

I said it before but giving each account 1000 slots was a mistake. The name policy change may help that and I think it's the only way to go. I am quite certain a ton of names are just being sat on and not being used. I'm not getting back into the way I'd like to see the name policy tweaked and this is good enough.

So, when does this new name policy start?

4 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I really dislike that style where you add an x around the name or a hyphen in front or a period somewhere. Looks silly. 

I said it before but giving each account 1000 slots was a mistake. The name policy change may help that and I think it's the only way to go. I am quite certain a ton of names are just being sat on and not being used. I'm not getting back into the way I'd like to see the name policy tweaked and this is good enough.

So, when does this new name policy start?

Try being less basic and add more flare to a name - Like "Rabid Wolverine" or "Lecherous Lynx". Good luck snagging one-word(or letter/number!) names on literally any game that have been around for years.

Edited by Nayeh
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I said it before but giving each account 1000 slots was a mistake.

I admit, I do wonder what's the point of having several hundred characters.

Like, when you would go over a year playing each character once a day, how do you remember anything about them? 

But CoH has always been a massively alt-friendly game. And really, if they only allowed you 12 characters per shard per account, you would have rapidly found people making *many* accounts, because it's not like it costs money or anything. (And it literally can't cost money, or legal hammer would be brought down). I think they just decided fine, if people are gonna do it anyway, why not let them do it all on one account.

In any case, the ship has so so sailed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some one word names I'm especially pleased with having acquired on Excelsior include:

Beat - Symph/Martial Dominator

Bricks - Stone/Stone Tank

Cheater - Gravity/Energy Dominator

Darklight - Rad/Dark Blaster

Dervish - Dual Blades/Will Brute

Exciter - Rad/Rad Defender

Expert - AR/Martial Blaster

Exploiter - Poison/Sonic Defender

First - Dark/Dark Dominator

Flood - Water/Bio Sentinel

Hotness - Fire/Thermal Corruptor

Mudslinger - Water/Earth Blaster

Peerless - MA/Will Brute

Preeminence - TA/Archery Defender

Shamer - Ninja/Ninjitsu Stalker

Superstition - Fire/Dark Dominator

Violence - StJ/Bio Stalker

Weaponizer - AR/Devices Blaster

Shortest name on my list:  C-4, a Traps/AR Defender

• Like 2

Dudes and dudettes.

DUDES. And dudettes.

I have acquired maybe the greatest name ever.  

EVER.

You ain't ready for it, but here it is:

The Joy of Planting

Well, admittedly, I'll have to wait until I can add the 'the' to it because I screwed up and you can't back up once you say 'lemme in the city' in the creator, but still.

Bob Ross wannabe lookalike who can't paint, but can garden, and got mutated so he can garden anywhere, including gardening his gardening so he can garden while he gardens. 😄  Oh, and throw thorns.

Anyway, excited am I that wasn't taken. Yay me! 

Carry on. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, houtex said:

Well, admittedly, I'll have to wait until I can add the 'the' to it because I screwed up and you can't back up once you say 'lemme in the city' in the creator, but still.

Just until the next time you go to the character selection screen -- click on the character, then the pen icon in the top right, and you can rename the character if the name you want isn't already in use.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

Picked up Smacktastic on Excelsior.   I was shocked.  That was available?  I normally use Snark(then something here) but just typed this in.  

It's amazing what you can find available sometimes.  When I checked for Beat when Symphony Control was released, I had a whole list of rhythmic-themed names yet to check and was like... 🤯

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 3:21 PM, houtex said:

The Joy of Planting

Was actually surprised to get Miracle Grow - Plant/Kin troller

Otherwise recently was shocked that Creepy Mall Santa wasn't taken.

• Like 1

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Big up "Twilight Defender" who I saw yesterday on Excel. Great name for a dark toon. Don't know their @ but was v shocked it was free.

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

• 1 month later

Another couple in the list of 'whuut, NOBODY before me?' names happening along in a providincial sorta way... which is not to say that indeed someone might have, then deleted or whatever, but pressing on...

First there's Crispy Jane.  Fire Energy Blaster.  Woulda thought someone would have gotten that one, with Doom Patrol's 'Crazy Jane' being a thing, but hey, I won, so yay.

But then... I just can't hardly believe it myself, but I gotta 'cause I'm lookin' right at it:

Blazer Glory.  

Fire/Fire Blaster.  

And yes, he wears a smart blazer.  Nice dark blue one.  Although I was kind of tempted to go with the early Bon Jovi look. 🙂  Perhaps I will if the right costume contest comes forth. 😁

• Haha 1

I was floored when, checking on a whim a few days ago, I found both Cybersecurity and Cyber-Security available on Excelsior. It was really helpful because I've been searching forever for a more evocative name for my bionic time-cop with a laser shield. I'm currently sitting on both versions, but once I decide whether I like it better with or without the hyphen I'll re-release the other one (along with her old name!).

vigilant.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

I rolled a Seismic Blast/Kinetics corr a couple of days ago, and was slightly surprised to find that Seismic Shift was untaken.  Then I scored another good punny one by suggesting Freeze Radical for my duo partner's new Ice/Rad tank.  The advantages of playing on a low population server!

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!