I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

Wardenclyffe, NJ?

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Out of interest, the feature in character genetation thatballows younto check and reserve a name.....anyone know how long that reservation lasts?

I would hope it's pretty short as otherwise, names might get checked, end up not used but still locked out when others might like them.

• Thanks 1

I meant, what name did you get?

Wardenclyffe Tower?

Tesla's Wardenclyffe?

Edison's Bane?*

*Sucker deserved it. What a jerk!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

My kids had amazing luck bagging names on their account:

• Power Blade
  • Pistol
  • Sunset
  • Energy Blast

I like to think I've done well too:

• Hot Lead
  • Max Damage
  • Turmoil
  • Misadventure (x2)
  • Taskforce (x2)
  • Enchanted
  • Borealis
  • Moonless
  • Splash Damage
  • Ceramic
  • Lagrange
  • Beaufort (x2)
  • Scrapperlock
  • Roflstomp
  • Weathered (my most recent snag)

It's always the one-word names that I'm most pleased to get my hands on.

Edited by Cutter
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

4 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I meant, what name did you get?

Wardenclyffe Tower?

Tesla's Wardenclyffe?

Edison's Bane?*

*Sucker deserved it. What a jerk!

Ah, sorry, mg confusion.

The character ended up as an automaton Tesla built to guard the tower and as a prototype mechanical police man. A sort of Victorian tech "Robocop".

On the security guard angle I ended up calling him "Warden Wardenclyffe'.

I .like your Edison's Bane suggestion btw. VERY apt.☺👌

Edited by Dafydd Hywel
  • Like 2

Just now, Cutter said:

My kids had amazing luck bagging names on their account:

• Power Blade
  • Pistol
  • Sunset
  • Energy Blast

I like to think I've done well too:

• Hot Lead
  • Max Damage
  • Turmoil
  • Misadventure (x2)
  • Taskforce (x2)
  • Enchanted
  • Borealis
  • Moonless
  • Splash Damage
  • Ceramic
  • Lagrange
  • Beaufort (x2)
  • Scrapperlock
  • Roflstomp
  • Weathered (my most recent snag)

It's always the one-word names that I'm most pleased to get my hands on.

I Like some those, good job on them. Especially Lagrange.

• Like 2

Agreed!

Plus, you can have up to 5 Lagranges!

And extra credit for Misadventure and Scrapperlock!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Agreed!

Plus, you can have up to 5 Lagranges!

And extra credit for Misadventure and Scrapperlock!

The funniest thing with Misadventure is there's a hero arc (I don't remember whose, highish-level iirc) where you fight a number of try-hard villains, one of whom is named Misadventure! That was a pleasant surprise.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Not at my computer currently, so I can’t look at the full list, but there are a number. 

Considering the number of Hex-something or others on Everlasting, I was surprised when I typed in Hex Pistols and it was available. 

But even more surprising was, when I made my grav/earth dominator a few weeks ago, Mass Hysteria wasn’t already taken. I was so certain it would be, I almost didn’t bother trying for it. 

Also managed to grab Disconnection for my dark/elec blaster. I don’t know why that surprised me as much as it did. I think I just assume common words will be taken.

And, speaking of common words and grabbing... nothing surprised me more than grabbing up Grab for my KM/shield stalker. I was making a duo with a friend, who rolled a broad sword/dark armor stalker, and that allowed us to go with Slash & Grab, although his is spelled with an uppercase i. He was not lucky enough to get Slash with the l.

Actually have two more names in mind that I don’t expect to get, but I have to wait six hours before I can go home and check...

Edited by Hexquisite
  • Like 1

Wow, some excellent catches there!

3 hours ago, Dafydd Hywel said:

Out of interest, the feature in character genetation thatballows younto check and reserve a name.....anyone know how long that reservation lasts?

I would hope it's pretty short as otherwise, names might get checked, end up not used but still locked out when others might like them.

I do not believe it holds onto a name at all, pretty sure it just checks if the name is available at the moment you check the name. This can probably be easily verified by a dual-boxer with one character sitting in the CC with an available name in the box and try to make a character with the same name on their second account.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

18 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I do not believe it holds onto a name at all, pretty sure it just checks if the name is available at the moment you check the name. This can probably be easily verified by a dual-boxer with one character sitting in the CC with an available name in the box and try to make a character with the same name on their second account.

It holds it until you finish the character generation process.  You lose the name if you get disconnected or otherwise cancel the creation of the character before hitting the "enter the city" button on the final window.

• Thanks 3

I've got Issues.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10583-vileterrors-roleplay-characters-as-of-2020-04-27/

On my main account!  I also have Resolved Issues (the less angry version) on one of my other accounts.  I'm going to switch names on the two some day, since I had foolishly rolled Issues as a Scrapper, when they should have been a Brute.

• Haha 2

My starting character, you know, the one whose name your email is attuned to?  Halfway through his run I realized he seemed rather drab, and I felt it necessary for a complete cosmetic overhaul including name change.  First characters are experimental, after all.  He's a water/psionic blaster, and after trying several names that didn't pan out, I somehow didn't shy away from typing in Aquaphobia, even though I was convinced it wouldn't work, but it did!  And on Excelsior no less.   Wow.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fitzsimmons said:

I got lucky when the name Enormous Genitals was available.  He’s genericed now, so it’s available again.  You’re welcome.

I also have Herpes.  Not the toon name.

I'm kidding, I have the toon name as well.  My fire/dark brute.  He burns things.

• Haha 4

You and Howard Phillips Lovecraft!

• Haha 1

I've been known to totally give up on a new character if I can't get a good name. I also prefer single word names over multiple word, unless it's a first/middle/last name.

Marine X is my old and new main, and I have both @Marine X & @Marine X2.

Some of the ones I was pleased to get:

Radient - Thermal/Radiation Defender

A.C. Volt - Electric/Electric Tank

Livingston - Stone/Fire Tank

Bubba Burns ( Beau Buford Burns ),

Sonny Burns ( Enos Samuel Burns Jr, ) (Twin Brothers) - Fire/Radiation Brutes

Goldfever - Illusion/Kinetic Controller

Major Meson - Radiation/Radiation Tank

Soulstice - Ice/Fire Tank

Warhorse - Shield/Mace Tank

Thunderess - Storm/Electric Defender ( Made for my Wife )

Grimmwolf - Bio-Armor/Savage Melee Tank

Polar Pyro  - Ice/Fire Tank

Amethyst Anne - Earth/Kinetic Controller ( Made for my Wife )

Cold Cuts - Ice/Dual Blades Tank

Hawkstar - Fire/Fire Sentinal

Crimson Cage - Peacebringer

and many more....

Always thinking of new ones....

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X