I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

14 hours ago, Techwright said:

Hmm...I just learned today what I have.  :classic_wacko:

Anyone that doesn’t have that fear is a dangerous and unstable nut job that should be captured and studied in the lab, if you ask me.

• Haha 1

On Indomitable I have:

Dodger

Slipstream

Nuke

Buzzer

Bogey

Turbo

Buzzkill

Match

Thunderbird

On Torchbearer I have:

Nuke

Match

Bubbles

Slipstream

Buzzkill

Null

Scratchy

Buzzer.

On Excelsior:

Nuke

Buzzer.

I've moved to Reunion and no longer play these characters so if anyone wants one of these let me know.

• Like 2

Nice ones! I especially like Buzzkill and Thunderbird, good catches!

On Torch I have (named after a friend and frequent duo-er who can always seem to avoid my AOE heals and buffs):

Buff Dodger

(Of course, he has a retro spacesuit costume.)

• Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

A few I was really happy about:

Hawkmoth
Ego
Grasshopper

Kadabra

Quetzalcoatl
Thunderbird (High Five, Enormotron, I'm your Reunion counterpart!)
Soothsayer

Python

Warsuit

Sonar

Acid

Bluebottle

Man o' War

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:55 AM, Frostbiter said:

I just try combinations of two words that fit the theme/powerset. Most of the time I get something acceptable with a little thesaurus work that surprises me when it isn't taken. I tried a Fire/energy Blaster the other day and got the name "Cobalt Blaze". That ones available on Torchbearer if anyone wants it since I scrapped that character because I still don't like the fire sfx.

It gets easier to get names like that if you use a foreign language -- for example, 'Yaderniy Ogon' (Nuclear Fire, a Fire/Rad Controller).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Cutter I have Roflstomper on Reunion
@Enormotron, I used to have Buzzkill on Reunion. Went to re-roll on a diff AT lost it in the split sec of name change =(
@Hexquisite, Hex Pistols 😃  

20 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

It gets easier to get names like that if you use a foreign language -- for example, 'Yaderniy Ogon' (Nuclear Fire, a Fire/Rad Controller).

Yes, google translate is your friend, even though it probably murders the language in the process. Luckily, Reunion is comprised of friends with usually a second or third (or fifth) language in their belts, and they usually help me make things right. I have my Russian Peacebringer, Silamir which translates to Famed for strength in Slavic. 

Of my 50 alts, a few names that I really like, but not what I'd consider popular enough to be counted as a good catch are:

Dread Baron
Satin
Silver Bolt
Flame Brain
Cryo Jenny

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

I picked up Heavenfall on Excelsior today. That one being free almost makes me wonder if they have started the name dump script.

Well I know I'll be logging in every character I have tonight, just in case.  Only 2 of them are 50's, the other 34+ are at a wide mix, some in 40's, 30's, 20's, and a few sitting at lvl 1.

• Haha 2

Not my best names, but some of the ones I'm surprised weren't already taken:

Excelsior:  

Chronomancy

Staff Sergeant

Sonic Screwdriver

Plate Tectonics

Double Helix

Nervous Breakdown

Ice Axe

Torchbearer:

Sonic Screwdriver

Chernobyl Kid

Staff Sergeant Major

Golden Ticket

Verb

Jerry Rigg

Everlasting:

Power Broker

Corporate Fat Cat

Compound Interest

Boy Genius

Golden Ticket

Indominable:

Ditch Digger

Doctor Moist

Defense Complex

Fluid Situation

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

If I indeed have thalassophobia, I blame Peter Benchley.  Well, him, and John Williams.  :classic_wacko:

Steven Spielberg has a lot to answer for in this regard, also!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

One guy back in the day used the same character name (basically) on his every alt and archetype.

They were all essentially the same 'character'but wearing different suits of power armour that gave different abilities. Basically like Tony Stark and all his various versions of the Iron Man Armour.

ALL he changed each tme was the end of the name from say "MK I', to 'MK II' and so on.

Quite clever in some ways.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, Six Six said:

Yes, google translate is your friend, even though it probably murders the language in the process.

I'm not going for complicated derivations, just basic one- or two-word combinations that describe the character -- Stal'naya Deva, Obmorozheniye, Toksichniy Podlesok, Razrastaniye, Tenevoy Ogon, Deva Molniya, Luchnik, and others.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I'm not going for complicated derivations, just basic one- or two-word combinations that describe the character -- Stal'naya Deva, Obmorozheniye, Toksichniy Podlesok, Razrastaniye, Tenevoy Ogon, Deva Molniya, Luchnik, and others.

i have a tanker named Mir Prochnost.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

Normally i'm not lucky enough to get some of the more common names, but there have been a few times i've been surprised by a name.  Among a couple of the names I have, I was able to snag "Blade Kitten," "Kinetic Medic," and "Stygian Stranger."  Usually I have to think too far outside the box to be surprised by a name though.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.