I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

About a week ago I had an idea for a character and mentioned it to a couple of friends saying I would get around to making it sometime.

Then when I did the name was taken, so I had to do a contraction on part of it.  Later that afternoon one of the friends came on and said he like the idea so much he had grabbed it to make sure it didn't go and was soon as I needed it he would change so I could get it.

The character is an Electric Armour / Stone Melee Tank - Shock and Ore.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Noice!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Just got Fire Jinn which I used to rename my old main Fire-Chief (not so main on HC cause I had to use the hyphen in name it was just Fire Chief on live but I regress) anddddd cant have enough fire chars also got Solar Warden. Sooooo yeah I'm fired up lol (both on Ex).

Edited by Fire Chief
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bill3.jpg.f1ff7a242b7765691cf45caa5d829f5a.jpg

My DA page

—“too soon old, and too late smart.”  

On 7/16/2020 at 2:25 PM, Cutter said:

My kids had amazing luck bagging names on their account:

• Power Blade
  • Pistol
  • Sunset
  • Energy Blast

I like to think I've done well too:

• Hot Lead
  • Max Damage
  • Turmoil
  • Misadventure (x2)
  • Taskforce (x2)
  • Enchanted
  • Borealis
  • Moonless
  • Splash Damage
  • Ceramic
  • Lagrange
  • Beaufort (x2)
  • Scrapperlock
  • Roflstomp
  • Weathered (my most recent snag)

It's always the one-word names that I'm most pleased to get my hands on.

I always assume it isn't that no one thought of them, just that my names are so bland,. 🙂 Mostly I like imagining these origin stories and a lot of them just end up being characters that might not have much of a super name. Think Jessica Jones. So a lot of mine are just common names, from various countries/cultures cause I enjoy doing some research and imagining how mutants might come up in, say rural Argentina. 

My 6 year old's names continue to baffle me that they aren't taken. He often makes characters with a play style in mind and then a costume.

e.g. FlyShooter (a hover fighting fly (insect) looking dual pistols toon)

He has some funnier ones though. 

Blind Cat Lady (a beast summoning MM/poison where all the pets are named common kitty cat names and she throws 'catnip' [battle cry])

Old Time Spider Warrior (a VEAT iirc that was a "good person for a long time, was a grandma, but got bullied by the police and went bad.") 

• Like 3

Wow! Misadventure and Taskforce especially, good catches!

And grats to your kid. Very creative!

I remember teaming up with a player on Live, he played fine, but was very slow to respond to tells or team messages. Eventually, he confessed he was about your son's age. We cleaned up our language*, but we were delighted to have him!

* I run with the profanity filter on all the time. If I want to express my displeasure, it is a point of pride not to say anything the filter would catch. Think Python: "vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!"

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 2

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

So last night, I attempted to remake a character from live. I remembered her powers (Invuln/ss tanker, speed and flight - she was a Superman build, basically), had a vague memory of her overall look, but could not for the life of me remember what her name had been. And it'd been a good one, too. One I used to get compliments on. I've tried remaking her a few times, but always dropped it when I couldn't remember the name - or, as you will soon see happened, another idea claimed me.

Anyway, in my efforts to remember her name, I typed a lot of random things in. Stumbled upon some decent names and some really good ones that I left unclaimed. And then I hit this one, and the fact that it was unclaimed felt so improbable that I just stared for a good five minutes as a completely different character concept formed in my mind.

So, of course, I swapped out the powers to rad armor/energy melee and altered the look a little to fit my new concept. And a few minutes later. . .  (the) Improbable was born!

Seriously, how was that name not taken? It just seems so . . . improbable.

. . . still gotta figure out that supergirl character . . .

• Like 2

I'll admit, there's a few I got surprised by:

-Feral Frost

-Ruin Mage

-Epilepsy

The last one I was REALLY surprised I got, as it seems an obvious single-word name! And note, I managed to snag these on live over 3 years into the game's lifetime, too! And managed to snag them again! I'm happy... Though all have the names recycled, not had the characters recreated.

10 hours ago, MTeague said:

Another name hit me as I was making dinner, and I immiedatley dropped eveyrthing to make the character. 

Phil Harmonic

Nice

I saw a character on lfg a week or so back that had a name that started with Auntie and it got my gears turning about characters I could make Auntie Viral, Auntie Terrorist, Auntie Disestablishmentarian (probably too long).  Then it hit me and I jumped in to make a savage stalker, but the name was already taken Auntie Maim (you will have to be of a certain age to get the reference).

But it don't go to waste, I made a claws stalker instead, an out of retirement fascist fighter Auntie Fa.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I just made a villain named Big Data on Torchbearer.

Totally should have "Big Money" from Rush as your soundtrack.

Big Money goes around the world
Big Money underground
Big Money got a mighty voice
Big Money make no sound
Big Money pull a million strings
Big Money hold the prize
Big Money weave a mighty web
Big Money draw the flies

• Like 2

Just recently, I was tickled to get:

The Wavicle (Rad/Atomic Blaster)

Anthropic Principle (placeholder for now, maybe a Kheld?)

Sir Thomas Mallory (the copper-topped knight)

Auntie Depressant (Dark/Dark Defender)

And for the holiday time warp I've put some time in on Santa's Stunt Double. (You think Santa does his own stunts?)

What can I say? I'm a sucker for concepts!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TraumaTrain said:

Size Queen

Empowered fan, by any chance?

Well worth tracking down, for anyone who hasn't read them. Readable for free online at https://www.empoweredcomic.com/

(Possibly NSFW. But why are you working for such fuddy-duddies?)

Size Queen and King Size were a brother and sister who could grow to Atlas-Park-Statue heights.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:23 AM, Quinz said:

I'll admit, there's a few I got surprised by:

-Feral Frost

-Ruin Mage

-Epilepsy

The last one I was REALLY surprised I got, as it seems an obvious single-word name! And note, I managed to snag these on live over 3 years into the game's lifetime, too! And managed to snag them again! I'm happy... Though all have the names recycled, not had the characters recreated.

Because passing out and convulsions are a good thing.  Waking up and not remembering, loosing 20 minutes of your life as your mind reboots so you redo that act.  Starting a medical regime of pills for the rest of your life, not driving for up to 2.5 years taking them to show the situation is under control or you can kill someone with several tons of metal.  Chipping a tooth as your head bounces off asphalt.

Did you know seizures can be triggered by the strangest things?  Flashing lights is a common one, got to advert those eyes just incase.  Smart phones or computer screens, easy trigger if you scroll to fast.  Heard one person had seizures caused by the voice of a certain singer. 

I would know, some of those things happened to me.  Fake tooth covering like a press on nail, kinda expensive  and dentist said 3 years or so, its been 7 so she is astounded its still there. My youngest cousin has it  worst, nobody can show a phone screen and scroll too fast as she will zone out.

Not offended more dumb founded how Epilepsy is a good name.  Got some suggestions for you

- Cancer 

- Diabetes 

- Alzheimers

- PTSD

- ADHD

- Tourettes

- Downs Syndrome

- Corona totals

Plenty of diseases and physical/mentally disabilities out there for character names.  Probably available as well, because no one would want to use it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Chatting with some people on the discord, I joked about the name Dodge This, and wondered out loud if it was available, and someone said "Not any more!" but lo and behold, an hour later, I snagged the name.

I like all my character names though. If I can't come up with something good I don't even bother making the character!

• Like 1

One I just got after a comment at a hami raid:

Blonde Moment. Mind/Time Controller.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.