Attuning/Catalyzing Enhancements

Venture

Maybe a stupid question, but what about IOs that have a level cap lower than 50 like Energy Manipulator (level range of 10-20). What are the benefits and draw backs of attuning vs boosting IOs such as these?

Pretty much the same. The enhancement bonuses cap out at the highest level for the enhancement and you keep set bonuses down to three below the lowest level.

In your specific example of a set with a range of 10-20 I'd lean towards boosting over attuning. The enhancement values are going to be pretty low if you're capping out at level 20 so you benefit from boosting and you'll still keep set bonuses down to level 17 which covers most exemplaring content anyway. IMHO if the set caps out at level 30 or below I'd tend to lean for getting them regular and boosting them as opposed to attuning.

• Thanks 1

Defender Smash!

• 1 month later
  • 2 weeks later

I have a fairly large stockpile of catalysts.  I keep getting level 50 drops that I'd like to attune and pass on to lowbies to slot.  How do you attune a set IO without slotting it? 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

5 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I have a fairly large stockpile of catalysts.  I keep getting level 50 drops that I'd like to attune and pass on to lowbies to slot.  How do you attune a set IO without slotting it? 

you don't. sell the drops, buy attuned, sell the catalysts, profit.

6 hours ago, Heraclea said:

You can't...you can use some unslotters to unslot what you have, slot the lvl 50, use the catalyst, and then unslot it...

If you are really feeling charitable to specific lowbies, you can do as @Veelectric Boogaloosuggested, or gift them, and let the the lowbie sell it, or if you are feeling charitable in general, just sell them for a really low price

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I kinda assumed the lowbies in question were alts, but J.B.'s more charitable than I about people's being charitable.

If you do the unslotter thing you're now on the hook for whatever the unslotter costs and the catalyst cost. Even if you have a pile of catalysts bigger than the total number you'll need for ATOs for every future alt, you're still better off not using them for anything else. If you have a surplus sell them for 3 million or whatever, sell the level 50, rebuy it attuned. Even with auction fees there are no IOs that cost enough that you won't be better off that way (unless you lowball yourself into too big of a discrepancy on a winter IO).

The ATOs are 100 merits apiece, and most of them are seven to ten million at the AH, so the catalysts just sit there and occupy space.  I've used them to improve some important set bonuses, but there's apparently no need to use them on stuff like Miracle +Recovery, which you try to get as low as possible anyways.  I'd like to have them do something for my level 24s with empty holes. 

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

Okay, trying to improve an IO set and not succeeding. Also not finding an answer, as I'm actually not sure if what I'm trying to do is possible. Goal: take an Obliteration set (PBAOE Damage) and 'improve' it into an Avalanche set. Using an Enhancement Catalyst only Attunes the IO, and nothing else is then possible. Using an Enhancement Booster makes the IO 50+1, also not a desired outcome. Is it really not possible to do what I'm attempting? Do Avalanche and Superior Avalanche sets (and all similarly-improved sets) only come from Super Packs? Don't need answer fast; my brain needs a rest. 😬

Random thought: if you type a sentence in italics, ending with a period, how would you know if the period is in italics or not?

No.  You can't transmute anything into a Winter or ATO enhancement by using converters, catalysts, or boosters.  You can convert an IO into another IO of equal rarity; into a different IO of its class (melee damage, heal, etc.); or into a different IO of its set, using converters.  None of these processes have any chance of landing on an ATO or Winter enhancement, unless you feed it one of those kinds of enhancements, and I don't even know if in-type conversion works on those. 

10 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I don't even know if in-type conversion works on those. 

I can't speak to Winter enhancements, but you can definitely do in-kind conversions on ATOs. The Heroes & Villains and the Vigilantes & Rogues sets are both part of the same pool when it comes to conversions, so you might get a new enhancement from either set.

• 4 weeks later

OK.. there's one thing I still don't fully understand about attuned vs normal IOs.  This is related to the enhancement values, not the set bonuses.

Let me state this in an example:

If I have a level 50 damage/recharge enhancement (not attuned) slotted in a power taken at level 20, how much +damage and +recharge do I get from it when I exemplar to level 35?  Is it equal to a 50 IO?  ...or a 35 IO?  ...or no IO?

And same question with an attuned damage/recharge enhancement.... 

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

6 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

OK.. there's one thing I still don't fully understand about attuned vs normal IOs.  This is related to the enhancement values, not the set bonuses.

Let me state this in an example:

If I have a level 50 damage/recharge enhancement (not attuned) slotted in a power taken at level 20, how much +damage and +recharge do I get from it when I exemplar to level 35?  Is it equal to a 50 IO?  ...or a 35 IO?  ...or no IO?

And same question with an attuned damage/recharge enhancement.... 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Set_Bonuses#Set_Bonuses_and_Exemplaring

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Attuned

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Booster_Salvage

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Catalyst_Salvage

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

9 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

The 2nd question (about attuned IOs) was answered in link #2, Thank-you.   

Anyone have the answer to question 1 (about non-attuned IOs)?

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

17 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

The 2nd question (about attuned IOs) was answered in link #2, Thank-you.   

Anyone have the answer to question 1 (about non-attuned IOs)?

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Invention_Origin_Enhancements

@Rathstar

2 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

Based on this 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Exemplar_Effects_on_Enhancements

a lvl 50 basic IO would have the same value at 35.

Your wiki-fu is better than mine!  I concede this contest to the rightful victor.

@Rathstar

• 8 months later

I added the information in this thread to the wiki.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Attuned

It seemed especially the (Homecoming specific?) way the Auction House handles Attunement was not mentioned anywhere. I could not find it in any patch notes either. Maybe things worked like that on live as well, but I don't remember it did.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 5/23/2019 at 7:39 AM, Fatman said:

You can get both Boosters and Catalysts through the Merit Vendors and ATMs. You can also get Catalysts as a very rare drop once you hit 50 and start earning Incarnate EXP.

Has anyone noticed that Catalysts drop almost 100% of the time when you first log in? Is there an automatic drop, one daily? This has happened to me FAR too many times when I initially log in. I will log in, join a TF, mission team , etc.. And I swear, I ALWAYS get a Catalyst drop immediately. And then I never get one again until I repeat this process. Anyone else notice this too?

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Has anyone noticed that Catalysts drop almost 100% of the time when you first log in? Is there an automatic drop, one daily? This has happened to me FAR too many times when I initially log in. I will log in, join a TF, mission team , etc.. And I swear, I ALWAYS get a Catalyst drop immediately. And then I never get one again until I repeat this process. Anyone else notice this too?

They're one per toon per day, so if you're trying for more you'll need to alt.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

They're one per toon per day, so if you're trying for more you'll need to alt.

I knew it. It was just too frequent and controlled to be random. I always get one with 15 minutes of playing. Thanks for confirming!

• 1 month later

It should be noted that there is a display error in the game for attuned IOs that you have outlevelled. The information given in this thread is correct - attuned IOs which stop advancing at a certain level (say 30 or 40) will reach their stated level and not improve beyond that. However, when you mouse-over that IO and you are at a higher level it will (erroneously) tell you that it is performing at YOUR level (as if the IO kept improving).  If you do the math for the entire power you will find that the numbers don't add up to the mousever information per individual attuned IO but rather what the proper number should be. The math is much much easier to do if ED or incarnate boosts will not affect it the power.

For example: My brute is level 50. I have a power which currently uses 4 attuned miracle IOs. The Miracle set stops improving at level 40. When I mouse-over the heal (only) IO it says it is giving me +42.4% which is a lie. My Numina heal (only) IO also says it is giving me a +42.4% and the set goes to level 50 and this is correct. It is really difficult to prove that the miracle IO is giving less than the stated boost because my character is beyond the ED threshold for +heal and also his alpha slot boosts +heal. So I look at the Miracle endurance/recharge that tells me it is giving +26.5% to both END and RECH. Again, this is a lie but easily provable since there is only one other of the +end IO in that power and my alpha slot does not mess with END. The other IO(HEAL/END/RECH) is also a Miracle and is telling me it is improving my END by 21.2% (more lies!). Now I mouse over the power bar and the entire power is having its endurance drain reduced by 43.4%. If the individual IO mouse-overs were correct we would expect a 47.7% reduction. Fortunately the other Numina set has those exact IOs slotted and since that set does go to level 50 my endurance reduction for 26.5% + 21.2% does indeed add up to a 47.7% reduction which is what the power mouse-over tells me.

tl/dr - Don't trust the numbers an attuned IO is giving you if you have outlevelled its cap.

• 2 weeks later
On 6/12/2019 at 12:18 AM, Impact said:

I wish I had known this before I attuned 2 purple sets!  I just tried boosting them, and that doesn't work.  If I want them boosted, I'll have to recreate them.  What a pain.  But thanks for the helpful guide.

You can use the auction house to "de-attune" them just the same way as attuning them.