[Not Game Specific] Having to manually renew IP / restart router often

So this isn't specifically about the game, but there's plenty of network smarts on this site to help.

I have a cable modem/router in bridge mode via the ISP. I then have a Linksys EA9300 handling the traffic. The issue is that over the recent month or so I've had to either reboot the router or renew the IP manually because we'll experience a random drop in internet. Now, the modem still shows fine and it's a mixed bag whether the router is showing internet or not. Either way, we'll lose internet use until a simply cycle of the IP/router occurs.

Normally I'd look into the DHCP lease time, but it's the public IP needing renewed, not the clients and it's almost daily sometimes. Everything is on a SmartUPS w/ surge and we've had no power issues in a while. ALL cables are being surge filtered (ISP is not happy of course) and we've had no issues otherwise with the equipment. Router is Maybe 2y/o and I 'think' the modem is the same age (in home age).

Any direction to follow? My schedule makes calling the ISP very restrictive and of course Linksys reminds me that I'm out of warranty when I chat.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

From what you've said it looks like it's either your router or the bridged modem.  I recently replaced my Cox equipment for a Netgear C6250 and that fixed some connection issues I had been having.

You can try updating your firmware (if you haven't already) but if that doesn't work then try picking up a new modem/router (ie: take the your ISP's machine out of the equipment even though it's in bridge mode).  If swapping out routers does not work then take the new router back to the store then contact your ISP (many have email addy's for customers like yourself who work off-hours from their support).

Start by isolating the problem.

Plug 1 PC directly into the modem.  if the problem still occurs it's on the modem side.  If it doesn't, it's the Linksys.

If it's the modem and it is owned by your ISP, have them replace/troubleshoot.  If it's yours and you can post a log from when the connection dropped, that would be helpful.

If it's the Linksys I would start by resetting it to factory defaults.  Back up your config, if possible, first.  There should be a button on the back you can push in with a pen that when held down for 5-10 seconds will trigger a factory reset.  Then set it back up and see if the problem recurs.  If it doesn't you're fine until the config gets corrupt again, which happens on Linksys and other low end equipment.  It's the price you pay for a lower cost and something you'll have to deal with unless you're willing to shell out more money.

I'm not so I just get my junk at Walmart and deal with it.

If the problem is still happening immediately after resetting the Linksys it's chunk and move on.  I gave up on Linksys a few years back and spent a few extra bucks on Netgear and Arris for the same performance level and saw a longer life and more reliable service.

Start by isolating the problem.

Plug 1 PC directly into the modem.  if the problem still occurs it's on the modem side.  If it doesn't, it's the Linksys.

If it's the modem and it is owned by your ISP, have them replace/troubleshoot.  If it's yours and you can post a log from when the connection dropped, that would be helpful.

If it's the Linksys I would start by resetting it to factory defaults.  Back up your config, if possible, first.  There should be a button on the back you can push in with a pen that when held down for 5-10 seconds will trigger a factory reset.  Then set it back up and see if the problem recurs.  If it doesn't you're fine until the config gets corrupt again, which happens on Linksys and other low end equipment.  It's the price you pay for a lower cost and something you'll have to deal with unless you're willing to shell out more money.

I'm not so I just get my junk at Walmart and deal with it.

If the problem is still happening immediately after resetting the Linksys it's chunk and move on.  I gave up on Linksys a few years back and spent a few extra bucks on Netgear and Arris for the same performance level and saw a longer life and more reliable service.

+1 Inf, sound advice.

I'm out.

Basically what Linksys confirmed (what I already knew) as a first step. The only Problem with the step is that it's not consistent enough to know when to test. For example, I don't "think" it happened yesterday and I haven't noticed it today either. It Did happen while I was at work Wed though. It's really hard to ping down. Honestly, I thought it was doing it when I started watching the AMZ Prime Video content at first because it just Happened to do it when I'd watch! And then it did it other times and I became confused.

I really hate the new Smart Firmware on these as it's rather limited in function in some places (but awesome in others). I Hoping it's the modem as it's theirs and I'm not quite able to replace devices right now ($$). That said, I looked at an Awesome Asus that includes the pipe-dream that is channel binding. :p

If it's the Linksys I would start by resetting it to factory defaults.

Honestly, this is what I'm hoping for as it's the easiest (if not the most tedius). I'm currently running something like 20+ devices on the router (I got the EA9300 tri-band for a Reason), so any routing device change will be a headache.

I gave up on Linksys a few years back and spent a few extra bucks on Netgear and Arris for the same performance level and saw a longer life and more reliable service.

Funny enough, I've had the opposite experience. The ONLY reason I've upgraded (from previous Linksys sitting in their boxes) is because I knew that I was going to overburden the device.

I guess I was Hoping to get a known solution from all this, but thanks for the confirmations. I've been self-networking since before CoX, but it's still my weakness diagnostic/knowledge wise.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)