Character rearranging

darkjedi_white

On the character select screen, i like to arrange my characters by level to make it easier to find them. These past few days when i log out, the order returns to what it was. Tried deleting the file in COH folder and it worked to put the characters back in created order, but when i log out after rearranging it goes right back to previous order.

• 2 weeks later

Same problem.

Also, one of my characters is missing.  (I checked all the pages and I can see the char is still in my supergroup, but just doesn't show up on the character select screen.)

A friend had the missing toon problem a while back and it just fixed itself a few weeks later.

Make sure your installation isn't in a Windows controlled folder like the Downloads, Documents, etc as the system itself may be protecting the files from modification.

Other than that, deleting the file you're inferring about is the only way to fix the character selection arrangement.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 2 weeks later

This problem comes and goes on my system as well. It affects the characters on the character select screen, as well as making the /buildsave command fail. 

I don’t have a workaround for buildsave failing, but there is a workaround for character ordering. In the tequila folder, under your account name, there’s a file named playerslots.txt. You can edit that file manually and that works fine. Each line is server name, character name, and slot number, where the first slot is slot 0. 

• 3 weeks later

Editing that file gets problematic if you have a lot of alts. Also the game has stopped writing to that file. I have only my first 20 characters on that list. The game won't write a new file if I delete it as well.

//Jack

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

1 hour ago, Jack Power said:

Editing that file gets problematic if you have a lot of alts. Also the game has stopped writing to that file. I have only my first 20 characters on that list. The game won't write a new file if I delete it as well.

//Jack

That shouldn't be correct unless there's been a background change in the code that has yet to be announced in the forums. I know from my testing experience that it creates the file if it doesn't exist every time the game launches. Any input on this @GM Tahquitz?

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• Game Master
2 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

That shouldn't be correct unless there's been a background change in the code that has yet to be announced in the forums. I know from my testing experience that it creates the file if it doesn't exist every time the game launches. Any input on this @GM Tahquitz?

Check the Tequila install location.  It might not be where you think it is, perhaps?

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

16 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Ok. But it still happens to me.

//Jack

― Groucho Marx

16 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

Check the Tequila install location.  It might not be where you think it is, perhaps?

Who me or WanderingAries? I did a few tries and the game did not write a new list in the proper folder. It seems the list is defaulted to date of character creation. But I may be misstaken on that note.

//Jack

― Groucho Marx

• Game Master
34 minutes ago, Jack Power said:

Who me or WanderingAries? I did a few tries and the game did not write a new list in the proper folder. It seems the list is defaulted to date of character creation. But I may be misstaken on that note.

//Jack

That was meant for you.

Open Tequila, check Options, and see if the Install Path matches where you're looking for the game.

• If the path is NOT the place you were looking, that will give you a hint where the files are being written.  Tequila doesn't tell the client to write to that folder, BUT the client files are updated and launched from that path.
  • If the path is under the following directories, I strongly advise moving the entire Tequila folder somewhere else.  If moving the files don't work, starting over in a folder like "c:\Games\Tequila" might be helpful:
    • c:\Program Files
    • c:\Program Files (x86)
    • c:\Windows
    • c:\Users

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

So are you saying that there should be a folder with my username in the Tequila file? And within shuch folder there should be a .txt document called playerslots which will handle the ordering of my characters on the pick character screen? And if I change the order in any way that will be reflected in that file?

Also, if I delete that file, a new one will be written... When? When I start the game? When I quit the game?

Just trying to understand. I'm not trying to be difficult on purpose.

//Jack

― Groucho Marx

The file is located in \tequila\ACCOUNT_NAME and should be created/modified somewhere between game launch and the character screen. I know that if I delete the file outright that it will be created and there after I've quit the game. I'll see about testing this as best I can (little hard to time as I play in FS mode). The location issue mentioned by @GM Tahquitzis very important to avoiding most of the Windows file protection related issues. Since all the txt files are drag/drop interchangeable, you can even test while keeping your 'real' file intact. That's likely what I'll do too.

Note: I heavily advise NOT making changes to, opening, closing, or deleting files while the game is running!

Note: I'm running Win7 and it is known for a long character loading delay that was originally theorized to be related to something like this (but likely isn't).

Ok, so the simple test results are in:

1. When is the file accessed/created/modified?
    • Shortly after clicking on a server name
  2. When is an entry added/deleted/modified?
    • Within 5-10 seconds (time it takes the server data to sync?) while in the character select screen
  3. When is an entry change made in the file reflected in-game?
    • Player must go back to the server list and re-enter the character selection screen for changes to reflect in the game
  4. What happens if I delete the file after having loaded the character screen and had been idle on the screen for at least 10s?
    • The game will recreate the file exactly as it was, likely from the active memory entry created when the page was first loaded.
  5. What happens if I delete a character entry in the file and leave the entry blank...
    • While on the character screen?
      • The entry gets re-added to the end of that server's grouping in the list and any empty space left between entries is erased from the file.
    • While the game was off?
      • The entry gets re-added to the end of that server's grouping in the list and any empty space left between entries is erased from the file.
  6. What happens if I rearrange the entries in the file while in the character screen?
    • The game allows the change and does not rearrange the entries in the file from memory
  7. What happens if I move a character entry to a different part of the file that is beyond the server grouping?
    • The game will move that entry to the end of the corresponding server grouping.
  8. What happens if I edit the file and change the server that a character is on?
    • Without loading the mistake server's character screen?
      • The game will create/fix the "missing" entry for the server group affected, place it at the end of that server group, and push the mistake entry below THAT entry.
    • After loading the server that character entry was mistakenly put into?
      • The mistake entry is removed from the file completely.
  9. How is the file sorted overall?
    • The game moves the server group entries (AS IS) for the chosen server that is actively loaded.
      • IE: If you switch from Torch to Indom, then the file will move the Indom group to the top.

Observations:

It's now obvious to me that the game simply appends entries that do not yet exist and in-place updates ones that do. When I tested not having a file at all, the file was NOT created until I started messing with characters and even Then, it only created a file to update the change I'd made. IE: I moved a character and there was a single entry for that character's new location, but none of the other characters were added unless I Also messed with their location. The game will load missing data from active memory, but doesn't care what order entries are in the file, so long as they are grouped by server.

I'll let you digest that for a bit. : p

So I moved the entire game to my second drive to isolate it from any windows folders. No luck. The game didn't write me a new list and didn't even create a new account folder for me. Validated left and right. Did this and that and nothing worked.

Last thing I tried worked. Now the game does write a list and it does update the list. 

You have to have the box 'Remember this account' checked. If not the game doesn't write to the list.txt.

//Jack

― Groucho Marx

1 hour ago, Jack Power said:

So I moved the entire game to my second drive to isolate it from any windows folders. No luck. The game didn't write me a new list and didn't even create a new account folder for me. Validated left and right. Did this and that and nothing worked.

Last thing I tried worked. Now the game does write a list and it does update the list. 

You have to have the box 'Remember this account' checked. If not the game doesn't write to the list.txt.

//Jack

Huh, now That's an interesting functionality quirk. One of those things you probably wouldn't think would have any impact beyond the obvious.

1. Checked Tequila options. Game is saving to C:\COH
  2. Checked C:\COH\InfamousBrad. There is a playerslot.txt. Deleted it.
  3. Logged in. Moved a character from one slot to another. Played that character for a few minutes.
  4. Logged out to character select screen. Character is still where I moved them to.
  5. Quit game. Restarted Tequila, logged in.
  6. Characters are back to random order.
  7. Checked C:\COH\InfamousBrad. There is no playerslot.txt file.

I haven't been able to save the order of my characters for months. Nothing works.

Edited to add: Disregard. Checking "Remember this account" worked for me, too. Dip me in peanut butter and call me a Reese's cup.

Edited by InfamousBrad

For me, as described by others in this thread, the problem was resolved when I moved the game from wherever I previously had it (possibly in program files or in documents?) to a location not protected by windows (c:\games\...), and updated my desktop shortcut accordingly.

I also have "Remember Account name" selected, and I think it has always been selected. Possibly, that setting is also part of the solution, as others have suggested above.

• 1 month later

So just to finalize the answer here for those who come to read later:

The basic solution is to make sure that you've clicked the "Remember Account Name" once you've gotten to the Game's login screen.