Redeeming AE

drdread

30 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

I don't find it difficult to believe at all. Especially for folks who had 50s since early issue 3, BEFORE IOs. And has been said that's a lot of marketing slots to put your inf into, if you have multiple alts. By end of live, I had 75 level 50s and 30-32 lower level toons who were into marketing. And I wasn't one of the folks who had max altities. 😛

I will still believe it when I see it.  Goldfarmers back in the day did not have that kind of inventory to sell.

Edited by ShardWarrior

1 hour ago, golstat2003 said:

Also this. The prices on live were ridiculous compared to what we have now. An LOTG +7.5% recharge IO was 100 mil consistently. Purples were also 100 mill. Some PVP IOs were easily 800 mil or more (and I knew of several folks with the stones to flip those!) 

In comparison an LOTG has been max 7 mill here on HC for months. With pvp and purple IOs being in the 20-30 mil range. (With some pvp IOs being even less).

Keep that in mind.

And farming and marketeering was probably more rampant on live than it was here.

yeah 100 mil for an IO is a long way from trillions lol.   I don't think anyone had trillions either.  pics or it didn't happen. 

We're possibly running across a terminology clash?

From Wikipedia:

A trillion is a number with two distinct definitions:

• 1,000,000,000,000, i.e. one million million, or 1012 (ten to the twelfth power), as defined on the short scale. This is now the meaning in both American and British English.
  • 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, i.e. 1018 (ten to the eighteenth power), as defined on the long scale. This is one million times larger than the short scale trillion. This is the former meaning in British English and the current use in many non-English-speaking countries.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a long trillion in the whole game's economy, not even on Live.

But: If each of your 1000 character slots is occupied with a character holding 100 Billion (via the AH trick), you would only need 10 accounts to hold a short trillion.

Doable, if only just. Probably wouldn't get much playing done, though!

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I don't think it's about how many accounts you have.  I wanna say there was a limit to the number of transactions a character could post in the auction house.  you'd need to spread big bids over dozens of alts using up all their transaction slots.  I forget how many emails you can have at a time but that's clogging up the account email.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:44 PM, Heraclea said:

There is no necessary inconsistency between fire farming and narrative.  My most recent story Heaven and Hell is tuned for fire armor characters.  It doesn't have an overwhelming story, but I did try to think up a scenario where it made senae for the enemies to have fire based powers,  and add a bit of characterization to the NPCs friend and enemy. 

ran #26231 yesterday. wasn't sure what the eb's would be like so i did it at +0/8.  the eb's took a while to burn but weren't too bad.  the biggest challenge was getting the ranged power enemies to stupidly come into melee range so they could cook off in my pbaoe's.  overall 3 nice quick missions with perfect maps (for the theme) and colorful enemies.  thank you for sharing.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, ShardWarrior said:

I will still believe it when I see it.  Goldfarmers back in the day did not have that kind of inventory to sell.

It might be years, possibly never with the economy the way it is now.  There simply aren't enough people in-game to support that sort of thing.

Also, the complete opening of merit-based purchases for EVERYTHING has brought a modicum of price control that was only present on live for a relatively short time.

COULD someone do it now?  On HC?

Yeah...

But they'd have to play truly hardcore, and there are now limits that didn't exist previously.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 7/28/2020 at 12:04 PM, DoctorDitko said:

We're possibly running across a terminology clash?

From Wikipedia:

A trillion is a number with two distinct definitions:

This is the term the way I'm using it.

• 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, i.e. 1018 (ten to the eighteenth power), as defined on the long scale. This is one million times larger than the short scale trillion. This is the former meaning in British English and the current use in many non-English-speaking countries.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a long trillion in the whole game's economy, not even on Live.

Yeah.  No way in hell.

Even just accommodating that much Inf would be an obnoxious hassle.

But: If each of your 1000 character slots is occupied with a character holding 100 Billion (via the AH trick), you would only need 10 accounts to hold a short trillion.

Doable, if only just. Probably wouldn't get much playing done, though!

No, 100 Billion x 1000 characters is 100 trillion.  I pretty certain that not even entire Chinese gold farming companies had this sort of resources.
Times THAT by 10 accounts, that's a short quadrillion.  This is where we're back at that "too much of a hassle" threshold.

I'm willing to draw a line in the sand here and declare NOBODY in the history of the game had this sort of Inf resources.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, ZacKing said:

yeah 100 mil for an IO is a long way from trillions lol.   I don't think anyone had trillions either.  pics or it didn't happen. 

Lemme just step back 8-ish years here...

Now where did I park my DeLorean shaped TARDIS?

Darn it!

And I'm not math-phobic, like so many of my colleagues. Just better at statistics than exponents. Thanks for the correction, I'll keep that in mind.

So, doable in theory, but still not likely practicable.

Bet 'em double or nothing?

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Darn it!

And I'm not math-phobic, like so many of my colleagues. Just better at statistics than exponents. Thanks for the correction, I'll keep that in mind.

So, doable in theory, but still not likely practicable.

Bet 'em double or nothing?

In theory?  I dunno.  At what point does a passtime become a job?

And since the value of Inf is TECHNICALLY "Zero", it's not a very well-paying career choice.
Even if you were to mule for gold farmer companies.  I know it's beyond MY tolerance for that sort of thing.

Yeah, when you can run your own server for nothing+hosting costs (if any), there is little incentive for gold farmers.

Thank goodness!