Sign in to follow this  
Ukase

When to takeover poor leadership

You've seen it, I've seen it. 

You're on a pug, and it's clear that the leader may have some knowledge, but not enough to convey to everyone else what to do. 

At what point is it okay to "take over" and give direction? 

I feel so badly for the others on this team. They tried hard, but the team lead gave no direction - and when he/she did, it was clear to me at that point, they didn't understand how the abandoned sewer trial worked - or their tactic was clearly too advanced for a team as inexperienced and squishy as the rest of the team was. 

I was the only one, a blaster, who didn't die. I could go into details, but it's really sad to think of how many times that poor dominator got chewed up by hordes of ritki and hatched krakens. The MMs fared no better. Only the brute did decently, dying only once. 

Curious to know when you folks would take over and start giving instructions. I waited too late, forgot all about server maintenance. Saw the message after we first started, figured an hour would be plenty of time. 
And it should have been - if everyone knew what to do. They did not. When the leader finally quit, then I took over - and we had the head down to half before the ritki repaired the gens, and we knew we wouldn't have enough time. A shame, really. 

I learned a long time ago not to PUG the Abandoned Sewer Trial.  Most people have no idea that it actually requires strategy and just think that they can steamroll it like everything else. That usually includes the person leading it.

I tend to ask up front if everyone understands what to do.  If yes, leave it at that.  If no, then offer to explain what to expect.  I usually wait till the first team wipe before offering suggestions.  If the team takes them, good.  If not, well then I'm reminded why I rarely PuG.

Posted (edited)

You could offer the leader advice, etc. and if it's done in a non-condescending way they might just ask you to take over themselves. Especially if they know how much you've done it. And if you don't tell them their leadership is "poor" 😉

Edited by Nerio72
clarity

If I think the lead might be unsure of what to do, I'll often send a tell. That way it shouldn't hurt their pride, if they care about that, but I can basically be like "well, I'll type to you here, and you can copy paste for the rest of the team if you want" so they can still look good. I ALWAYS think going to tells is a better way to deal with things. Fighting in a public chat is often not the best idea. Plus, I'd rather say it in tell because then hopefully I can help someone who may not know as much. I wanna believe that it'd help them at least.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Alimorel said:

If I think the lead might be unsure of what to do, I'll often send a tell. That way it shouldn't hurt their pride, if they care about that, but I can basically be like "well, I'll type to you here, and you can copy paste for the rest of the team if you want" so they can still look good. I ALWAYS think going to tells is a better way to deal with things. Fighting in a public chat is often not the best idea. Plus, I'd rather say it in tell because then hopefully I can help someone who may not know as much. I wanna believe that it'd help them at least.

I appreciate this bit of advice. Candidly, it didn't occur to me. Not the idea, nor the concern about the leader looking good when they're clearly not good.  But I guess they'll never improve if someone doesn't share the knowledge. And I'm sure your approach would go over better than my "Are you nuts?!" exclamation that I wanted so much to type out this morning. 

• Haha 1

You'll never hurt my feelings by suggesting that something could be done better.   Even though I have done most of everything in game, I don't always know the absolute best way to do everything.  I welcome anyone that can help out when I am leading.   Sometimes I forget that everyone is not on the same page I am.

The fastest way to grow old is to stop learning.

• Like 1

As a slight addendum to the above, I lead iTrials on a semi (ish?) frequent basis. However, some other people have also started leading iTrials, so I joined in on theirs because I wanted to see how they did things, maybe there was a thing or two I could learn from their way to help my way. It's also just fun to help encourage new content runners too so like, there's that as well... >.> 😄

If I see something they seem to be having issues on, I send them a tell saying something like "I've seen it done this way, I hope that info is able to help you flesh out your own way of leading these"

And yes, even I sometimes have bursts of "WHY?!" but I try to keep it to myself and be as neutral as possible when dealing with stuff like that... which can sometimes be hard admittedly. It's normally just counterproductive to be upset when talking with someone.

• Like 1