Lightsaber SFX for Katana/Ninja Blade!

Solarverse

Heya folks! Have a brand new mod here that changes your Katana and Ninja Blade's SFX and transforms them in to Lightsabers! This was requested and I seen it as a no brainer! I honestly couldn't believe that I didn't think of it, especially after creating the Star Wars Blaster SFX Mod for Dual Pistols, lol. Anyway, without further delays, here is the link to the post containing the mods...

And here is a sneak peak of the SFX! I'm going to apologize in advanced for the distorted sounds, sadly the game plays sounds at a much lowered volume, however, the game plays these sounds back without the distortion.  Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vulpoid said:

Nice!

obicoh3.jpg.7ffb7ecf91217ec4e3c435bf66448063.jpg

Ill just point out that in the old canon, Katana like swords were the pre lightsaber weapon of the early force mystics who would become the founders of the first Jedi order. Also, that outfit looks more like a tatooine moisture farmers outfit, than the uniform of a jedi knight, which is what Luke is wearing in Return of the Jedi. Specifically it was the uniform of one general obi wan kenobi, and is why it actually has elements shared with those high ranking officers we see in the Empire. Its actually in the novelization that luke's first stop on his return to the desert world he called home for so long, is to return to Obiwans home and that is how he gets the parts he needs to make his new lightsaber, as well as aquire the traditional uniform of the Knightly order he now feels worthy to represent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now if we could only make a Squib costume to go with it!

(It's OK, nobody else will get it either...)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

17 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Awesome. 

While I personally think Jedi in COH are immersion breaking,  The fact that you offer this mod is really cool. 

Jedi?

He is merely a gifted  moisture farmer, nothing more.

• Haha 1

They're supposed to be Schnauzer-like!

Unfortunately, the West End Games art department lost the originals and their in-house guys came up with the fox-like/faun-like illustrations.

Shame... They were inspired by the writer's pet Schnauzers, who, as every Schnauzer "owner" knows, consider garbage their lawful prey.

And then Disney came along, and they were excised from canon.

Sic transit gloria mundi

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

14 hours ago, Haijinx said:

All Jedi in the Galaxy dress like Tatooine moisture farmers for some reason .. 

Im one of those SW nerds that lost all excitement about the prequels the seconds I saw the first trailer and the outfits worn by Liam and Ewan. Lucas really lost touch with his own creation. when you imagine the jedi order, and council when seeing the originals, I myself tend to picture something more like the knights of the round table. The fact Obi Wan was a general in the old era hinted at them being exactly like that. And why the several thousand jedi that made up that order might sound like a healthy number, when your talking galaxy spanning defenders, then just like the green lanterns, its going to be 1 jedi per vast region of space, like entire solar systems at the least.

The real issue imo is that they never really outlined exactly what the old republic was in the original trilogy. I always saw it most like rome, and actually compared The Emperor and his taking power as akin to Julius Ceaser had done. With Vader kinda being like mark antony. We know that is basically how GL wrote anything, by just looking at something else and putting a different skin on it, so for me that is the most likely suspect in what lucas was originally inspired by when imagining a figure taking over a republic and becoming emperor via military power.

Hell look at the costume Luke wears in ROTJ, it is basically a mixture of a catholic priest, marine dress blues(colored black) with for a twist as the bib like chest of the old cowboy style shirts most famous due to being the style of shirt the lone ranger wore rather then the traditional button up.And it kinda makes sense. in GLs youth songs like the Halls of Montezuma, and the wonder warrior status of the marine( not to mention them frequently being depicted as modern knights in recruitment adds, we know he was a huge fan of the old adventure serials of his youth which the lone hero cowboy wandering the land and putting down tyranny was a major figure of, and ofcourse the catholic church and its ever present ties to knightly orders like the templars, and heavily mythologized crusades were hand in glove with.

Hell he is even a hero in black in the last film, which puts him among peers like The Shadow another serial hero from that era, one who dressed in black and wielded psychic powers.

I personally rather enjoyed the prequels. Granted, I had to force myself to pretend that Jarhead Binks didn't exist, but...the rest of it was rather entertaining I thought. What I could NOT get on board with (and have yet to watch the last two) was the sequels.  That to me is just not Star Wars....that was so far from Star Wars to me that I felt no need to watch the last two. I rather enjoyed Rogue One as it blended in with the original trilogy perfectly. However, the Solo movie was something that I can never unsee.

The only thing about the prequels that bothered me other than Jarhead Binks, was the portrayal of Anakin Skywalker. They made him a bit whiny. They could have made him a bit more professional in character and less emotional like some emo kid. I guess at least now we can see where Luke gets it from. However, the way they did Luke was perfect...Luke gradually became more mature and more cool and collective over time. His character was more believable and relatable where as Anakin Skywalker went from instant whiny and emo, (where he should have already had a bit of the collective and emotionless characteristic to him from the start) into instantly becoming the all emotionless Dark Father. (aka Darth Vader)

But all in all, I rather enjoyed the prequels. To hell with the sequels.

Edited by Solarverse

I did not care for the prequels...

Well, I kind of liked seeing a well-trained Jedi in all his glory, must confess. But I never wanted to watch them again.

Then I encountered a fan edit called "Star Wars I-III A Phantom Edit" and whooh-boy, someone found one really cool movie in amongst 3 George Lucas indulgence projects. It keeps only the climactic battle from Phantom Menace, then splices the next two into a fairly seamless movie that's actually very good. The ending is particularly well done. So much better than wasting the most iconic voice in recent films on a line like, "Nooooooo!"

Have a look for it, I think you'll be impressed. Plus, that's 4 hours of your life you get back to play some CoH!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I did not care for the prequels...

Well, I kind of liked seeing a well-trained Jedi in all his glory, must confess. But I never wanted to watch them again.

Then I encountered a fan edit called "Star Wars I-III A Phantom Edit" and whooh-boy, someone found one really cool movie in amongst 3 George Lucas indulgence projects. It keeps only the climactic battle from Phantom Menace, then splices the next two into a fairly seamless movie that's actually very good. The ending is particularly well done. So much better than wasting the most iconic voice in recent films on a line like, "Nooooooo!"

Have a look for it, I think you'll be impressed. Plus, that's 4 hours of your life you get back to play some CoH!

Pardon we already got to see a Jedi fight in his full bad assery. Did you forget the beat down Vader gave luke at the end of Empire? Imo that is still among the best fantasy fights in anything. The way Vader first uses objects to distract, then batter and wear down Luke, Making Luke have to search for him, and then that perfect moment when the young rash upstart manages to land a minor wound, and Vader is like bad puppy and cuts off his over reaching hand.

It was so much better then the force uses in the fights in the prequels. I was especially unhappy with the ones with yoda which should of been far more interesting and creative uses of the Force rather then lightsaber fights. And Darth Maul set the new precedent that lead to the ruination of the whole concept of the Sith. While I could be wrong, up till then the EU had kept them pretty vague and mysterious, and what they did have was not the dark jedi wannabe vaders we came to know today.

I seem to recall a few of the EU novels had flash back scenes between luke and yoda, or communions with his force ghost, cant recall which, that made it pretty clear that the reason yoda was in hiding, the reason vader was so damn scary, was because he was a true fully trained jedi who had gone dark side. That he was basically unique. Im pretty sure all the stuff in the EU that codified the concepts we know today had came to be in the shadow of Maul and that cursed first prequel film.

Now there was the new jedi order in the EU, and that did have an actual dark jedi order come into being with one of Lukes top students going full on dark side, pretty sure they ended up teaming with the witches of Dathomir or some such, which I am like 90% sure is what that crazy evil witch in that one ewok movie must of been. We did get mass saber on saber fighting in one book during that series I recall. But I cant recall anything set in the pre prequel era in the EU books and games that depicted the dark jedi that we tend to picture sith as since Maul.

Lightsabers and making them was supposed to be a big secret by the by.  So yes Vader having one was part of his big deal factor. I even recall a campaign from one of the early pen and paper games for SW, in which the entire focus is recovering a saber that was stolen from a tomb by a group intent on using it to learn how to mass produce them, even though they are suppose to be nearly unusable for non jedi trained folks.

Which is why I still say Frell to the prequels, and frell to the disney era stuff. I watched Rogue One and that was it because I figured that one by all accounts didnt really impact the original films in any real way, it was just a dirty dozen in space ww2 movie basically. Ill stick to the novels that while not everyone of them had a great author, over all created a fairly consistant EU for decades before we got any new films for the universe.

Became very depressed when I realized that to everyone else watching my bad-assed sounding and looking lightsaber swinging saw me dancing around with an invisible katana.

Maybe someday all these bugs will get fixed.  And, I’m sure, replaced with similar annoying ones.

Nature of the beast. These kinds of mods are client-side only, so not so much a bug as the only way it can be done. Regular teammates can be pointed here so they too can enjoy your bad-assery!

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

everyone else watching my bad-assed sounding and looking lightsaber swinging saw me dancing around with an invisible katana.

They should see a regular katana.
They still have a file called Wep_Katana.Texture in their client  .pigg . It is part of the game.
make sure you installed in  /Data/Texture_Library/ITEMS/Weapons/
If it does not work, shoot me an email.

But if they also install the mod, won't they see his lightsaber as he does? Or is it only for the wielder?

11 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

But if they also install the mod, won't they see his lightsaber as he does? Or is it only for the wielder?

If they have the mod as well, they would.

Whatever is in the local file is what the client loads when someone pulls out the sword. So if you have a lightsaber katana texture and I have a, I dunno, smiley face katana texture overriding the same file, then when I pull out my katana, you'll see a lightsaber and I'll see a smiley face.

Solarverse, smiley face katana sfx when?

• Thanks 1

OK, that's what I thought. Thanks!

I hate giving wrong information!

Nah y’all don’t understand.  FX mod or no, Katanas are invisible to all but the wielder....briefly visible during attack animation.

Literally invisible to all other players.  It’s been bugged like this since last summer.  

Edited by Crysis

From a philosophical perspective, everything anybody else sees is invisible to you.
You can only see what you see in life anyway, so a video game katana is the least of our worries here.
Italo Calvino has a wonderful story called "The Spiral" in which a mollusc laments that it evolved a beautiful shell to be perceived, while other selfish life forms evolved eyes instead.
Which is more important to you...  Seeing or being Seen?