Sign in to follow this  
Keovar

Let's use the "Guest Author" tag for non-farms.

Looking at the AE list today, I notice that nothing comes up if you select to only see "Guest Author" missions.  Dev's Choice is good, but very limited.  (Liked River of Fire, but the other one is too high-level.)

While talking to @Darmian later, the problem of finding (as a player) or promoting (as an author) any non-farm content came up.  The idea occurred that the empty Guest Author tag could be used for story-based content.  Staff likely doesn't have the time to review everything, so it might need to be a player-selected thing.  To keep it from being overrun with farms trying to cheat the filters, there could also be a warning that improperly tagging the mission as story content when it's just a farm could get the mission unpublished,  Then it's up to players to test and report if necessary.  Former Dev's Choice missions could be added to the list as well as the entries for future rounds.  Multi-mission series could all be included as a unit.   

I'm not saying AE farms are badwrongfun. I have played some myself and I like the silliness of the 'Bads" series.  I'm all for people playing what they enjoy, but we should also recognize that one type of content has flooded the system.  There needs to be a way of filtering past the farms, and I think the seemingly unused Guest Author tag might be it.   

Edited by Keovar
typo
  • Like 1

I've noticed a trend in AE where non-farm, story-oriented arcs will have "SFMA," meaning Story-Focused Mission Architect, somewhere is the description or title. Simply adding "SFMA" to your search parameters removes most - if not all - farms from the search results. Something to definitely spread around so more folks are aware of it.

Does everybody use it? No, of course not; not everyone is "in the know" about it, but it's one way you can find decently-written arcs that aren't farms.

Honestly, I think the only change that needs to be made in order to separate the farms from the stories is to add exclusionary searching features. Instead of only allowing me to search for the things I want, give me the option to exclude things I don't want from my search. If I could just add a "-farm" term in the search bar that would remove all arcs with "farm" in the title/description, I think we'd be golden. Then the farmers can keep their farms, and those of us looking to play story-focused arcs can exclude farms from the list. Everybody wins.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 1

Global Handle: @Warning Shot
Council of the Rose

"I can do it! I can do it nine times!"