Looking for a little more defense

Fergz99

I had a question about this issue but it also concerns Mids. In my claws/sr build (softcapped to Incarnate defense for M/R/AoE) near the bottom of this scrapper sub-forum, I opted out of Leadership Maneuvers/Tactics in order to get Hasten (which I 2-slotted for recharge) which has been night and day in terms of increasing damage. For my last power I decided to take Stealth (the slot has the Gift of the Ancients global) in order to keep the 59% Incarnate soft cap. 

But then after reading this post I changed my mind, removed Stealth and put Maneuvers back in. But now, no matter how I try, I cannot reach the incarnate soft cap. Why? Is this a Mids issue?

@Boulis

Was mids showing you the non-combat defense of Stealth, or the suppressed value?

There's a setting that governs which value it shows, you might already know though, but ...

Options -> Configuration -> Effects & Maths -> Check the "Attacked" box under "Suppression" on the far right of that config page.

That should give Stealth the 1.88% base +def that it gives during combat.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

@Boulis

Was mids showing you the non-combat defense of Stealth, or the suppressed value?

There's a setting that governs which value it shows, you might already know though, but ...

Options -> Configuration -> Effects & Maths -> Check the "Attacked" box under "Suppression" on the far right of that config page.

That should give Stealth the 1.88% base +def that it gives during combat.

Actually I knew nothing about this Invader, thank you so much for highlighting this important feature! The reduction in defense is drastic (Maneuvers is clearly superior) so back to the drawing board for me. I'm wondering therefore why one would ever choose Stealth? My thinking is if you want to launch a massive alpha strike perhaps and want to not draw mob attention?

4 hours ago, Boulis said:

I'm wondering therefore why one would ever choose Stealth? My thinking is if you want to launch a massive alpha strike perhaps and want to not draw mob attention?

I've never taken it, but I'd think something like that, yeah. And I don't have data to back it up, but it feels like my Dark Armors' stealth delays the reactions of large groups, spreading out the alpha strike and making it less of a concern. And if Stealth stacks with the stealth IO to become full invisibility (I don't know if it does), that'd be nice on the occasions when you just want to head for the mission objectives and not bother with all the enemies in the way.

• Like 3

Yes Stealth plus a Stealth IO should stack for a total stealth of 35 + 30 = 65ft.  With 65ft you'll be unseen to all but Snipers, GM's, turrets and foes that ignore stealth (Rikti drones, certain Rularuu (the Eyeballs) being common examples.)  Which means you can position yourself anywhere wrt the mob you wish and initiate combat when you choose.  FYI, Those pesky snipers will still see you a long way off having a perception radius of 149ft ... seeing you 149 - 65ft or 84ft away.  I often use Super Speed + Stealth IO (65ft stealth) for stealthing missions.  

Edit: I've only taken the Concealment pool once that I can recall since real numbers/IO's came along and that was for concept.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

Stealth is a great pool to dive into for sets without defense of their own who want to add some mules for LotG recharge. Also good for those that who want to skip by mobs easier to get to objectives.  

But if you only have 1 pool left and need more defense then leadership would be a much better option.