Sign in to follow this  
Keovar

Name Recycling

53 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

If the account is still active, then people are able to contact the owner and negotiate for release of the name.  The owner should not be forced to give it up just because they got it first and someone else wants it.

I'm gonna have to disagree there.

For starters,  how are you gonna track that person down?  You would have 0 idea who has that name unless you filed a petition for a GM, but that would be incredibly weird. Second, the person clearly doesn't care about that character if they played it for 5 minutes (if that) and hasn't touched it for 200 days after. 

8 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

For starters,  how are you gonna track that person down?

The /getglobalname <character name> command will tell you the person's global handle.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

For starters,  how are you gonna track that person down?  You would have 0 idea who has that name unless you filed a petition for a GM, but that would be incredibly weird. Second, the person clearly doesn't care about that character if they played it for 5 minutes (if that) and hasn't touched it for 200 days after. 

As I recall, there is a slash command (/get_globalname or something like that) to get the owners handle.  You can send the person a tell or in game email and ask them to relinquish the name.  Second, how do you know they do not want the character?  Perhaps they are working on another alt they want to finish first.  Perhaps they are away on active deployment.  Perhaps as @Doomguide2005 pointed out they are in between new computers and unable to play for a period of time.  There are any number of reasons why a character may be sitting idle, none of which in my opinion entitle someone else to a character name. 

Bottom line is, you are putting the wants of the "I want it now" person over those of the owner of the name without knowing any specifics.

There's no perfect solution here.  Some names will be genuinely abandoned and not freed up, some other names will probably be seized when the player still cares about them, at least a little.  And I'm not sure that it's worth anyone's time to try to develop a solution that's incrementally closer to perfection.

That said, if I were doing it and developer-time were no object, what I'd do is not just take a pass at retiring names, but give out "name seizure tokens."  A limited number, probably one, per player.  The deal would be, if you inputted a name and no one had it, great, you get it.  If you input a name that someone has, it checks some activity criterion -- has the player logged in in X time, how much did they play the character, etc -- and maybe it just says "no," or maybe it says, "do you want to spend your token on this?"  So, like, you have to think about it.  Is this name just okay?  Or is it something you actually want to spend your limited resource on?

If you spend your token to get the name, the token goes to the player whose name you seized.  So if you come back from deployment or some other long absence, yes, maybe you've lost some names you care about, but at least you now have a lot of power to get names that you like to replace them.  And you don't come back to find that all your low level characters have been genericed -- just ones that someone else actually cared enough about to spend their name tokens on.

Name tokens would eventually congregate in the accounts of players who have fully churned, will never come back, so you'd give out new ones periodically -- maybe once per year or so.

That said, this wouldn't be a perfect system, and would it be worth the time to code?

24 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Second, the person clearly doesn't care about that character if they played it for 5 minutes (if that) and hasn't touched it for 200 days after. 

So if I'm out on deployment doing a tour, I should get all my character names taken away because other people can't use a thesaurus?  Thanks dude.  Gotta love people on these forums.   they bitch about people "not being creative enough" for costumes meant as homages, but stealing other people's names is perfectly legit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aethereal said:

That said, if I were doing it and developer-time were no object, what I'd do is not just take a pass at retiring names, but give out "name seizure tokens." 

were it me, I'd fix the whole name thing by making it charactername@accountglobal and this whole thing becomes a non issue.

But that would be a really  really  really big pain to type names to send messages or invite to groups.   Please don't do that to us.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Patti said:

But that would be a really  really  really big pain to type names to send messages or invite to groups.   Please don't do that to us.

You would not have to.  This is a change in the back end code for how the name is associated to the account.  Cryptic did this when they upgraded the engine for Champions and STO. 

I'd ragequit and never come back if certain names were poached out from under me. Those are characters I'm deeply invested in, I played them for years on live, and I picked the shard I picked here because I could get those names here on that shard.  Losing those names now, to a "name seizure token" or anything else, .... I would feel that I'd essentially been booted off the shard, because I refuse to NOT have that name anymore.  Those characters are completely central to my CoH experience.  Not many I'd put in that category, but they exist.

I think the policy in the FAQ is a decent balance. 

If you make it to lvl 50, the name is safe forevermore.  And the names you care about the most, are probably the first characters you level up, and you probably got them to 50 already, or you're playing them often enough that you'd still be protected by the wait times outlined in the FAQ.

But I'm not that attached to the name of lvl 2 character who only finished the Tutorial and is parked in Atlas park but otherwise hasn't been played for a year.  If I received a message from a new player telling me that that was their main on live and could they please have the name, I'd agree right away. I might coordinate with them just to make sure that they're ready to select the name the moment I rename away from it, so it couldn't be scooped up by a third party, but that'd be it.  I'd refuse any payment or anything of the kind. 

3 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I think the policy in the FAQ is a decent balance. 

If you make it to lvl 50, the name is safe forevermore.  And the names you care about the most, are probably the first characters you level up, and you probably got them to 50 already, or you're playing them often enough that you'd still be protected by the wait times outlined in the FAQ.

Yeah but the "policy" is still based on guessing.  What if I started a character that isn't 50 yet and I get shipped out.  Someone else should steal the name from me and that's fair to me?  No way man.

5 minutes ago, MTeague said:

But I'm not that attached to the name of lvl 2 character who only finished the Tutorial and is parked in Atlas park but otherwise hasn't been played for a year.  If I received a message from a new player telling me that that was their main on live and could they please have the name, I'd agree right away. I might coordinate with them just to make sure that they're ready to select the name the moment I rename away from it, so it couldn't be scooped up by a third party, but that'd be it.  I'd refuse any payment or anything of the kind. 

see this here is the way to go about it.  Get in touch with the owner and ask.  I'd bet 9 times out of 10 they'll give it up to help a fellow player out.

Also some people don't want to get to 50.  A lot of role players get a character to the level they want for their story then turn off xp.  I think robokitty is one but she doesn't come to the forum any more.  50 is meaningless for telling how much someone cares about a character or their name.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aethereal said:

There's no perfect solution here.  Some names will be genuinely abandoned and not freed up, some other names will probably be seized when the player still cares about them, at least a little.  And I'm not sure that it's worth anyone's time to try to develop a solution that's incrementally closer to perfection.

That said, if I were doing it and developer-time were no object, what I'd do is not just take a pass at retiring names, but give out "name seizure tokens."  A limited number, probably one, per player.  The deal would be, if you inputted a name and no one had it, great, you get it.  If you input a name that someone has, it checks some activity criterion -- has the player logged in in X time, how much did they play the character, etc -- and maybe it just says "no," or maybe it says, "do you want to spend your token on this?"  So, like, you have to think about it.  Is this name just okay?  Or is it something you actually want to spend your limited resource on?

If you spend your token to get the name, the token goes to the player whose name you seized.  So if you come back from deployment or some other long absence, yes, maybe you've lost some names you care about, but at least you now have a lot of power to get names that you like to replace them.  And you don't come back to find that all your low level characters have been genericed -- just ones that someone else actually cared enough about to spend their name tokens on.

Name tokens would eventually congregate in the accounts of players who have fully churned, will never come back, so you'd give out new ones periodically -- maybe once per year or so.

That said, this wouldn't be a perfect system, and would it be worth the time to code?

You couldn't have come up with a more effective way to troll someone if you'd tried...

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

53 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

see this here is the way to go about it.  Get in touch with the owner and ask.  I'd bet 9 times out of 10 they'll give it up to help a fellow player out.

I mean, there are players who have just left.  They aren't coming back.  Not now, not six weeks from now, not a year from now.  Any names they hold are just useless -- they aren't getting any value out of them, and neither is anyone else.  You can't get in touch with them, because they're never logging in again.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I mean, there are players who have just left.  They aren't coming back.  Not now, not six weeks from now, not a year from now.  Any names they hold are just useless -- they aren't getting any value out of them, and neither is anyone else.  You can't get in touch with them, because they're never logging in again.

Oh well then.  Time to break out the thesaurus.  Just like the costume police folk love to say, "be more creative!"  I'm sure those dead accounts are sitting on mountains of inf and purples too.  should those get claimed by someone else?  that person clearly isn't using them anymore.

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

So if I'm out on deployment doing a tour, I should get all my character names taken away because other people can't use a thesaurus?  Thanks dude.  Gotta love people on these forums.   they bitch about people "not being creative enough" for costumes meant as homages, but stealing other people's names is perfectly legit. 

There is no way to cover all the bases here, and I am not suggesting all your names be taken away.

What there should be is some method to weight names based on activity of the Account / Character in question. A Character that has little activity for X days but is on an active account would be safer than a Character with the same activity on an inactive account for example. The more active the Character/Account the much longer buffer they receive.

1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

Oh well then.  Time to break out the thesaurus.  Just like the costume police folk love to say, "be more creative!"  I'm sure those dead accounts are sitting on mountains of inf and purples too.  should those get claimed by someone else?  that person clearly isn't using them anymore.

Drops can be re-generated, names are locked in place.

Just now, ZacKing said:

Inf and purples are fungible resources that are not limited -- the game will make more inf and purples as long as it's up.  Names are different.

I'm not super exercised about this.  I don't have any names I'm super lusting after.  But this whole deal where we prioritize the first-come-first-served principle over all else, including even to the point where it's a player who has a level one character that they abandoned five minutes after Homecoming started, just begs the question.

For every "First come, First serve" cliche' here's a "Use it or Lose it." reply.  
For every "just be more creative" jab, the same applies to someone who quits for a long time or who is just holding a name they might use somedaymaybenever.  

I don't think anything should be immune.  If a claim lasted (Level+2)*7 days, a level 1 has three weeks and a 50 caps out at a year.  Maybe there could be a system for locking in a name permanently, becoming legendary like the signature characters, but there should be a limited number of 'legendary' spots per player.  

If you can't get the name you want, just type it in all caps with spaces between the letters. I think we can all agree that looks hella cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

There is no way to cover all the bases here, and I am not suggesting all your names be taken away.

What there should be is some method to weight names based on activity of the Account / Character in question. A Character that has little activity for X days but is on an active account would be safer than a Character with the same activity on an inactive account for example. The more active the Character/Account the much longer buffer they receive.

You're still saying it's ok to take names from other people dude just because you want it.  that's putting your needs above someone else which isn't cool.  There's no good way to tell an account is truly dead or not.  you all don't know for sure if a character is abandoned or not.  I mean, you're basically saying "hey, you should have used the name!" is a better excuse than "hey I got here first".  but I guess it's ok if we're not the ones getting pissed off at a name being stolen.

9 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Inf and purples are fungible resources that are not limited -- the game will make more inf and purples as long as it's up.  Names are different.

15 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Drops can be re-generated, names are locked in place.

Words aren't exactly limited either. There's probably quadrillions of possible combinations of them.  Play Super-Dude or Super.Dude instead of SuperDude.  It won't kill ya

Personally, if I had a random alt under lvl 10 that was offline for 200+ days that I look at and it was suddenly generic'd or something I would not be surprised/care.  I clearly didn't care enough to play it anyway.

4 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Words aren't exactly limited either. There's probably quadrillions of possible combinations of them.  Play Super-Dude or Super.Dude instead of SuperDude.  It won't kill ya

As opposed to losing a name that you played for 5 minutes, which will literally kill Zac.  😉

3 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Personally, if I had a random alt under lvl 10 that was offline for 200+ days that I look at and it was suddenly generic'd or something I would not be surprised/care.  I clearly didn't care enough to play it anyway.

Yeah me too man, but here's the thing not everyone thinks the same way.  I don't know why someone is hanging on to a name or whether they want to release it or not unless I ask them and if I don't hear from them, oh well I'll make something else.  I'm not going to cry and stomp my feet about how unfair it all is and say I'm entitled to it now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Keovar said:

I don't think anything should be immune.  If a claim lasted (Level+2)*7 days, a level 1 has three weeks and a 50 caps out at a year. 

Thankfully, this is not the way things look to be shaping up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

The "break out the thesaurus" applies just as well to the player who returns after a long hiatus (and sadly has no one they trust enough to log them in occasionally).  
In-game resources aren't in limited supply.  If there were unique items which only exist as one copy per server, then that would be more equivalent.  

21 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Same argument applies to you, if you had to rename.  

• Haha 1