Sign in to follow this  
Keovar

Name Recycling

3 minutes ago, Keovar said:

The "break out the thesaurus" applies just as well to the player who returns after a long hiatus (and sadly has no one they trust enough to log them in occasionally).  

Holy sense of entitlement Batman. 

Just now, Keovar said:

The "break out the thesaurus" applies just as well to the player who returns after a long hiatus (and sadly has no one they trust enough to log them in occasionally).  

Why?  The person who created the character in the first place may already have done that in choosing the name they picked.  Seems to me having names stolen is ok so long as we are not the ones having the name taken away. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Keovar said:

Same argument applies to you, if you had to rename.  

Right so it is ok to have to rename a character so long as it is not you? 

Ultimately, someone loses out in any situation here.   Not to mention this is a huge disincentive for people to come back and try the game again if they want.  How much fun is it for them to return only to find their characters were all renamed?

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Like 1

Maybe the @global extension would work if something similar to the auction house autocomplete system were added to make messaging easier.  As you're typing, it could scan for names that match what you have so far, looking at currently online players, people you're messaged before, your friend list, etc. before searching the whole server roster.  Maybe there could be a popup window to select the autocomplete.  NPCs wouldn't see/say the @global part at all.

3 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Are you entitled to some name you've never used?

Again, there's no perfect solution here (even a "allow duplicate names" code-change would be less-than-perfect in a variety of ways).  The insistence that we should push all the imperfection on later players instead of earlier players is weird.  Like, yeah, maybe someone goes away for a long time for reasons that are completely not their fault.  Hell, maybe they were in a coma.  And they come back and some of their characters are renamed.  That would be a bummer for them.  But...  it's just the name of a character on an MMO.  They can choose a new name.

And someone else got a name and used it in that time, and that was nice for them.

And people who go into comas or get deployed overseas are frankly, far smaller shares of the player base than people who just churned out, or who squatted a name with vague plans to develop it and just never released it.  How many names would we release that are from players who will never, ever, ever play that character again compared to regretted lost names?  At least 10x, right?

That's why I'd focus not on making sure that nobody ever ever ever ever lost a name that they wanted, and more on making sure that any names that did get seized went to players who were actually going to use them.  I think the bad scenario of running a name-release job is not so much that people lose names they want as that then a few people who paid attention to exactly when the job ran go around and immediately try to squat a bunch of names.

7 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Right so it is ok to have to rename a character so long as it is not you? 

Ultimately, someone loses out in any situation here.   Not to mention this is a huge disincentive for people to come back and try the game again if they want.  How much fun is it for them to return only to find their characters were all renamed?

When have I ever said that I should be exempt?   
How much fun is it for someone making their first character to sit for an hour trying names, seeing if any are open on another server, etc. before adding some random numbers, letters, and punctuation after it just to get into the game?  

3 minutes ago, aethereal said:

The insistence that we should push all the imperfection on later players instead of earlier players is weird.  Like, yeah, maybe someone goes away for a long time for reasons that are completely not their fault.  Hell, maybe they were in a coma.  And they come back and some of their characters are renamed.  That would be a bummer for them.  But...  it's just the name of a character on an MMO.  They can choose a new name.

Pushing the imperfection on the former players is less weird?  If it is just a name of a character on a MMO, why is the new person unable to choose a new one?  Again, seems to me the argument is it is ok to upset someone else, but it is not ok if we get upset.  No one wins.

1 minute ago, Keovar said:

When have I ever said that I should be exempt?   
How much fun is it for someone making their first character to sit for an hour trying names, seeing if any are open on another server, etc. before adding some random numbers, letters, and punctuation after it just to get into the game?  

You are saying that by arguing you are entitled to a name that someone else already has because they may not be using it.

5 minutes ago, Keovar said:

Man how do you know that the person who picked the name you wanted first didn't do the same thing? 

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

Pushing the imperfection on the former players is less weird?  If it is just a name of a character on a MMO, why is the new person unable to choose a new one?  Again, seems to me the argument is it is ok to upset someone else, but it is not ok if we get upset.  No one wins.

Pushing all the imperfection on any broad player category is weird.  Nobody is saying, "Hey, new players should be able to steal any name they can think of."  You and Zac are saying that players who grabbed a name for a character they literally never played in March of 2019 should be able to reserve that name forever.

Like, yes, if we had godlike powers, then when someone picked a name, some ascendent being would say, "With my perfect knowledge of the future, I will see what will increase the global happiness of the world more, player 1 having this name or player 2."  We don't have that.  Someone will be the loser.  But we can make a system that takes a reasonable guess, and says, "If you haven't logged in for a year and you played this character through one DFB and then never logged in to it again, yes, maybe you're active service military deployed overseas, but 90% likely you just got bored with it, and the new player will use it more."  That's not perfect, and it won't be the godlike being.  But it's a lot closer than the 100% nobody ever releases any names ever solution.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Personally, if I had a random alt under lvl 10 that was offline for 200+ days that I look at and it was suddenly generic'd or something I would not be surprised/care.  I clearly didn't care enough to play it anyway.

I actually have a couple of names I care about pretty strongly that are parked on lv1 characters. The problem is I either haven't found the right combo to fit the name and theme or the combo that fits is broken in some way and waiting for dev fixes before I'll play it. If the name release policy comes into effect I'll farm these guys up to whatever level is necessary to protect the name and then park them again. When the time is right I'll reroll them and play from lv1. This is the very definition of name squatting but I do care about the names and will do what I need to to protect them.

I'm not altogether against the idea of a name release system in general but I do think the devs/mods are going to need their asbestos underwear on if they turn one on. The rage will be spectacular to behold. Working out a way for the system to handle name@global might be easier than containing the fallout...

It’s a superhero game, so this needs a super solution.

Best 2 out of 3, winner gets the name

(for a participant not able to log-in)

1. Public poll for best costume;

2. Public poll for best character profile; and,

3. Least number of AE badges.

*or*

(when both are able to log-in)

1. Winner of naked, level 1 run from Atlas statue to Icon in Steel Canyon, no travel powers no teleports, no outside assistance;

2. PvP match at level of lowest character, no IOs; and,

3. Best performance in a “Yo Mama!” Duel, in the bowl during a mothership raid,  while contributing to the encounter.

• Haha 2

Red Tomax/Way Back: https://web.archive.org/web/20140625171903/http://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/powers/

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

30 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

You're right, you do seem to have one.

• Sad 1

You can just tell who has a buncha level 1s squatting names furiously defending their right to have, but not to anything with said character.

4 minutes ago, parabola said:

I'm not altogether against the idea of a name release system in general but I do think the devs/mods are going to need their asbestos underwear on if they turn one on. The rage will be spectacular to behold. Working out a way for the system to handle name@global might be easier than containing the fallout...

Honestly, looking to overhaul the code to allow names to be stored as name@global is the ideal and best solution for everyone involved.  Not at all likely to happen, but it does solve the problem.

6 minutes ago, aethereal said:

You and Zac are saying that players who grabbed a name for a character they literally never played in March of 2019 should be able to reserve that name forever.

Well no, I am saying that we cannot know why a character may not be played anymore or why a player may be away from the game and it is better to err on the side of caution.  There have been several reasons listed here in this thread as to why someone may be away for an extended period of time.  Read the post @parabola made above.  In that case, you are still losing out on a name you may have wanted. 

You're right, you do seem to have one.

lol Man I'm not the one saying I should get  someone else's name because I want it and maybe they're not playing it. 

3 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

You can just tell who has a buncha level 1s squatting names furiously defending their right to have, but not to anything with said character.

I can only speak for myself, but I do not have any that I am actively holding on to.  With that said, I will not begrudge anyone who does want to keep a name for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

lol Man I'm not the one saying I should get  someone else's name because I want it and maybe they're not playing it. 

Right, you're the one saying "me first" and failing to see how everything you're saying about others could be equally applied to you.  

Right, you're the one saying "me first" and failing to see how everything you're saying about others could be equally applied to you.  

no dude.  I'm saying find a thesaurus and come up with something else.  I've like never had an issue with a character name like ever.  that includes playing for years on live and here.  if I did, I'd pick something else, not come to the forums and complain about someone else having the name SuperDooperCoolDude and that I should get it because I want it.  there's a lot of legit reasons why someone may be away from the game and I'm not about to try and figure out why. 

21 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:
32 minutes ago, aethereal said:

You and Zac are saying that players who grabbed a name for a character they literally never played in March of 2019 should be able to reserve that name forever.

Well no, I am saying that we cannot know why a character may not be played anymore or why a player may be away from the game and it is better to err on the side of caution. 

Under what circumstances do you think that a player who grabbed a name for a character that they literally never played in March of 2019 should lose that name?

7 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

no dude.  I'm saying find a thesaurus and come up with something else.  I've like never had an issue with a character name like ever.  that includes playing for years on live and here.  if I did, I'd pick something else, not come to the forums and complain about someone else having the name SuperDooperCoolDude and that I should get it because I want it.  there's a lot of legit reasons why someone may be away from the game and I'm not about to try and figure out why. 

Why is "first come first serve" any more valid than "use it or lose it"?  
And if it's no big deal for you to come up with a name, why is it a big deal to do so after logging off for a year?  

45 minutes ago, aethereal said:

But...  it's just the name of a character on an MMO.  They can choose a new name.

Right back at you.  How do you not see the hypocrisy? 

2 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Under what circumstances do you think that a player who grabbed a name for a character that they literally never played in March of 2019 should lose that name?

Probably never.  As you said, it's just a name in an MMO, you should go pick a different one. If it's no big deal for someone to have pick a new name for their inactive character, then it's also no big deal for you to pick a different name to start.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I missed it then I am sorry but has anyone brought up how much trolling could happen if names weren't unique any more?  We already see those kinds of trolls in everlasting general chat making fun of people by making very similar names.  Having identical names will just give them an even more powerful tool to be a tool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Right back at you.  How do you not see the hypocrisy? 

Because it's not hypocrisy!  I agree it's not the end of the world on either side.  New players are going to have to suck up not having access to a lot of names that they want.  Old players will also have to suck up not having access to a few names that they squatted and stopped using.  Everyone shares the pain a bit.

Again, this is a hilariously unselfconscious debate.  One half of the debate says, "Let's come up with some careful metrics to try to make it so that names will be used by people who are actually using them, with the understanding that the system isn't perfect."  The other half of the debate says, "Let's think of the most black-and-white system we can imagine, and push that without anything other than repeated snarky comments, btw why are you guys hypocrites?"

Edited by aethereal