Sign in to follow this  
Keovar

Name Recycling

1 minute ago, Outrider_01 said:

*lugs a heavy barrel labeled Tar and drops it with a loud thud*

Sorry guy, went to the store and picked up some stuff just in case.

*holds up a bundle of torches and a bag of feathers*

Anyone want some.....damn it, its too civil in here.

*sighs and shoulders sag*

You guys are no fun 

Don't worry.  It's a fragile state.  Once something changes, the reality will be like

image.png.700ac7b7c1d5d801dab851a75aa347f6.png

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Keovar said:

2. Because it's an obvious thing to do, especially for anyone who played in live and knows it will become increasingly difficult to name a character the longer they wait.  

I had several hundred characters on live and can't really say it was "increasingly difficult" as time went on.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

8 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I had several hundred characters on live and can't really say it was "increasingly difficult" as time went on.

Then why is this topic of enough interest to you to bother reading or posting in?  That makes it sound like you don't really care about naming. 
Those who lean more toward the story/roleplay side of things will care more.  For those who are more into the mechanics, one "Superdude-x69x" plays about like any other.  

59 minutes ago, Keovar said:

Do the contacts and other NPCs use the @global part or ignore it?  I've mostly given up on the whole idea of 'superhero' names and use Givenname Surname now, but it's weird to have everyone saying both names.  Maybe when I'm jaded enough to no longer read anything NPCs say, that'll wear off.

NPCs ignore it.  They will refer to you by your character name only, or in the case of STO, sometimes rank and name.  They ignore the global handle part entirely.  Team invites are not difficult either as you can click on the player name in chat to invite them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I'm somewhat encouraged to know it's been able to work in some environments, but.... @Pattiraises a good point. If someone can have their costume look like you, and have your name above their head, that's going to allow for some serious trolling.  I'd like to think she's wrong about people doing it just to do it, but... my cynicism won't let me.  Even if people don't commit any bannable offenses, the ability to LOOK like someone can still be used fairly maliciously even without any official infractions.

I can only speak from personal experience, I have never once seen this happen in CO, STO or Neverwinter.  Even if it were, people can send in petitions and have the matter resolved by GMs, just as they do here. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keovar said:

Then why is this topic of enough interest to you to bother reading or posting in?  That makes it sound like you don't really care about naming. 
Those who lean more toward the story/roleplay side of things will care more.  For those who are more into the mechanics, one "Superdude-x69x" plays about like any other.  

Because I do care. I do indeed lean on the story/roleplay side of things. Hell, on live I wrote up and maintained a guide to the Kheldian backstory, as well as the status and backstory of Epic ATs (both ones that made it to live and those that didn't, which I have an interest in specifically because they're... wait for it... tied to a backstory or lore.)  Only server I really play on is Everlasting, and I picked that server for a reason. That's even mentioned in my signature.

Don't make assumptions about why others are posting or what they're interested in in the game. 

Why does my not having problems finding names on live or here make YOU want to try to make my opinion or interest invalid?

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

1 hour ago, Keovar said:

1. Too many to list.  It's not so much personal at this point, but the "use it or lose it" system has more long-term sustainability than the "first come, first served" one.  It's a game; we're not talking about killing off native people to colonize their home, after all.  
2. Because it's an obvious thing to do, especially for anyone who played in live and knows it will become increasingly difficult to name a character the longer they wait.  

First part I agree with, however the second part is where I take exception.  You are making an assumption without any evidence.  Have you tried locating and contacting any of the owners of the name(s) you were after? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am the [Descriptive] that [Action] in the [time of day], I am the [noun] that [verb]s your [noun], I am a SHAMLESS PLUG!

LETS GET CREATIVE!

Sorry, was bored so wanted to do something productive as this topic was beating the domesticated odd-toed ungulate mammal Equus ferus to cease life functions.

• Haha 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

1 hour ago, Outrider_01 said:

*lugs a heavy barrel labeled Tar and drops it with a loud thud*

Sorry guy, went to the store and picked up some stuff just in case.

*holds up a bundle of torches and a bag of feathers*

Anyone want some.....damn it, its too civil in here.

*sighs and shoulders sag*

You guys are no fun 

*watches a little black cat-girl named Snickerdoodles stalk, pounce on and then fall into the sack of feathers*

• Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 was the superior film, @MTeague.

. . .

What?

Alright!  Fine.  Something on-topic:

The policy is set.  It will be deployed when the Homecoming Team gets around to it, if ever.  We can like it, or not.  We can agree with it, or not.  But in any case, the discussions here aren't resolving the immediate problem which some players have right now with the names they want being out of their reach.

And, so, how about we start a thread like . . . . . https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21400-name-assistance-brigade-the-nabbers/

Will that help?  At least until the HCT take the next step?

EDIT:   Damnit!   I missed @Outrider_01's post somehow.

Well, a little tautology didn't kill anyone.  Right?

. . . right?

Edited by FoulVileTerror
Whoops!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Have you tried locating and contacting any of the owners of the name(s) you were after? 

I've had one email actually go through to another player, and it was someone I know is active.  Everything else has gotten an "inbox full" response.  Maybe they have email turned off, maybe they quit playing, maybe their inbox is flooded with AE mission comments, or maybe they're storing tons of stuff in their mail.  Whatever the reason, I gave it up on that and on the idea of using names that sound like a 'superhero' alias.