Name Assistance Brigade (The N.A.B.bers)

21 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

(I kid!   I kid.   . . . although I wonder what anagram silliness we can get up to with "City of Villains"  After all, Redside is Best Side!)

Hmm. Anagram server gives ... Fiasco Vinyl Lit

(The) Vinyl Lit Fiasco. Person sank all their money into a shop making LPs of literary works, since "vinyl is making a comeback." They lost everything, and turned to a life of crime.

Cavil Lift Noisy. Goes around literally picking up one specific Superman actor while shouting.

Acts Vilify Lion... Vilify Lion Acts!

Ya Inflict Viols - Obviously a sonic corrupter. Attacking people with musical instruments.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:16 PM, Coyotedancer said:

Now, if you want rather dramatic, poetic names... Names of the sort you'd find in wuxia fiction,

I've never had the opportunity to use it, but ever since I ran across the fruit, I've wanted to use it for a stereotypical Asian villain -- "Face now the vengeance of Lo Quat!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I've never had the opportunity to use it, but ever since I ran across the fruit, I've wanted to use it for a stereotypical Asian villain -- "Face now the vengeance of Lo Quat!"

Someday that has GOT to happen. 

It has to,

The universe demands it. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Reading this thread inspired me to go back and work on my hero name generator some more. I mined some of the words people shared here as well as a few other places to add dozens of new entries to the generator. To be honest, it makes a lot of silly stuff but there's enough good suggestions peppered in that maybe it'll spark your imagination. 😎

Hope this is helpful for people looking to name their character!

City Suggests Name Generator

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

2 hours ago, RubyRed said:

Reading this thread inspired me to go back and work on my hero name generator some more. I mined some of the words people shared here as well as a few other places to add dozens of new entries to the generator. To be honest, it makes a lot of silly stuff but there's enough good suggestions peppered in that maybe it'll spark your imagination. 😎

This is awesome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RubyRed said:

*laughing out loud*  One of the names it gave me on the very first try?

Coyote Incarnate

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, RubyRed said:

Taint Aery

Think I'll pass on that one 🤣

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

I wonder how @Coyote feels about that.

Have you two had a dance-off yet?  I kind of feel that needs to happen . . . 

Illusion/Nature Controller on Torch with my other "assorted magic-things"...

She's hanging out with Snickerdoodles the cat-girl. XD

CoyoteIncarnate.jpg

If I keep her, I'm definitely not done with the costume yet.

ETA: It also gave me X-ray Occult Lady, which I find hilarious for some reason.

Edited by Coyotedancer

On 8/3/2020 at 12:12 AM, Hero_of_Light said:

By that logic though,  anything could be offensive though.  Don't give them that power.

TankYou is yours and you can decide what it is. 

I had a Fire / Kinetic Controller on Live named             Combuster               boy did I ever gets some looks, and it never crossed my mind till somebody pointed it out.

• Haha 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I usually start from the concept end then find a name, so it can get painful some times. An example:

Crimson Cage - Krym'sun the last Kheldian Born to the race, and injured in their escape, is unable to Join with a Human & is now instead contained in the K.A.G.E.

Kheldian Advanced Genetic Enclosure, an interctive, AI inhabited Armor to allow Krym'sun to survive. But without a Host he often struggles to interact with humanity.

I like linking their Name to their Hero Name:

Hawkstar - Captain Hocking Stahr,  fire/inv Sentinal

Livingston - John Livingston Jr,  stone/fire Tank

Stygian Swordsman - Clay Moore,  broadsword/dark Tank ( thinking of just renaming him Clay Moore, I think most people would get it.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 8/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, RubyRed said:

Mr. Brisk, ice/dark theme

Probably a tea drinker

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

On 8/1/2020 at 4:17 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

Synonyms also work with regards to creating memorable names for your characters, something that stands out.

Dark is a commonly used word in comic books, synonyms that could be used in place of 'Dark':

Midnight Umbral Dusk Murky
Gloom Tenebrous Tenebrious Shadow
Stygian Veiled Sable Ebony
Grim Bleak    

You can open up options by considering what the name is describing; is it appearance, a description of their powers,, or a frame of mind or any number of other reasons.

For instance, back on Legacy I had a Ice/Dark character and 'Black Ice' was pretty obvious (and taken) so I selected 'Sable Drift' instead and found it preferable.

That's funny I did the same with my ice/dark corruptor and wanting the name Black Ice (though mine was on Defiant), except I ended up with Twilight Frost.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

I've been having difficulty coming up with a name for a concept I have - DP/Device blaster. I want something to reflect his back story about being a stuntman / extreme sports enthusiast. Obviously cannot use Daredevil, which is exactly what he is. Mr. Adrenaline sounded a little meh to me. It's been eluding me for awhile. Anyone help out there?

1 hour ago, Isenraven said:

I've been having difficulty coming up with a name for a concept I have - DP/Device blaster. I want something to reflect his back story about being a stuntman / extreme sports enthusiast. Obviously cannot use Daredevil, which is exactly what he is. Mr. Adrenaline sounded a little meh to me. It's been eluding me for awhile. Anyone help out there?

Combine Evel Knieval and Daredevil and get Evel Devil?

• Like 1

Whenever I can, I try to name every character as if I expect to meet Tick and Arthur on a rooftop somewhere.  Sometimes, I draw a blank and just lean into words associated with the powersets or a specific power in one of the sets.  Also a big fan of naming dudes like they are child sidekicks from comics of the 30s-50s.  At the end of the day, I just want a name/character that amuses ME, whether it makes sense to anyone else is way down there on the list.  

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 8/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, Isenraven said:

Hrm.  Chance Mortem.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:17 AM, Isenraven said:

Designated Deadeye ?

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Also, puns are your friend.  Let's say I wanted to make a tribute character to Rutger Hauer on Torchbearer and name him Blind Fury.  Unsurprisingly that name is already taken.

But let's take it another step.  How about a cosplay expert named Blind Furry?  Got it.  How about a ditz who keeps misplacing her sword named Blonde Fury?  Got it. 

And don't get me started on Blonde Furry.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?