Recommended: Drew Hayes' Super-powered series

For a guy who comes across as a party animal, Drew's Super-Powered series is both well thought out and surprisingly serious in places.

Memorable characters, a believable interface between the real and comic-esque worlds, good characters and clever twists, plausible bad guys, just good stuff all 'round.

Have a look (the Kindle first hit is free, kids!)

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=drew+hayes+super-powereds&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 1 month later

Drew Hayes writes some awesome stuff.   Even his blogs and website are entertaining reads.

"Super Powereds" is one of my favorite superhero genre series and also truly amazing in audiobook form.

Highly recommend his "Spells, Swords, and Stealth" series for you fantasy/gamelit fans. Again, also great in audiobook form. 

For a departure, his "Fred, the Vampire Accountant" series is an amusing and different take on the whole vampire genre. Audiobook version is also good.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the guy.

• Like 2

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

Forging Hephaestus is also really good. Another superhero story of his, in some ways I like it better than Super-Powereds. I've been waiting for the sequel to Hephaestus for, like, three years now...

Thing I love about Hayes, though, especially those two series, is he is really, really clever with powers. Without spoiling anything, one of my favorites is the girl from Super-Powereds Year 4, who's power was perfect spacial realization, and she used it to devastating effect.

Edit: Eeeee! Villain's Code, Book 2 is in editing stage, should be out later this year... have to wait longer for the audio, though...

Edited by Hexquisite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, he makes redside very much fun!

I know Super Powereds and Hephaestus are two different universes, but I'd love to see how they would interact.

Frankly, I've enjoyed everything I've read of Drew's.

Seconded on Fred. The NPCs series is sort of a guilty pleasure, but I like it, too!

When conventions are a thing again, I hope to buy Drew a beer!

• Like 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, Hexquisite said:

Edit: Eeeee! Villain's Code, Book 2 is in editing stage, should be out later this year... have to wait longer for the audio, though...

Cool - I haven't check his website lately.  I did forget about "Forging Hephaestus" - which is also a good read.  I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

With Super Powereds, he also had a developing story on his website called "Blades & Barriers" that was set in the same world, but I believe was at a different school.  He has since taken it down (last I looked) and I missed out on reading it.  I'm hoping that it will get published sometime.

Doc - if you do get to buy him that beer, give him a thanks from me.

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

1 minute ago, Argent Aegis said:

With Super Powereds, he also had a developing story on his website called "Blades & Barriers" that was set in the same world, but I believe was at a different school.  He has since taken it down (last I looked) and I missed out on reading it.  I'm hoping that it will get published sometime.

Was actually focused on Angela and a minor character she faced in her final year inter-school competition thing, who's name I think was Brett/Barrier, as they both interned under heroes in the same team after graduation. I read a bit of it, and it was good.

Hell, "Corpies," set in the SP universe, (featuring Roy & Herschel's dad), was a more recent fix for me. 

Missed B&B, maybe he has a Patreon?

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, his website is http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/

And I'll gladly buy him one for you. I'm a recovering writer (misspent youth in gaming), and he hits so many of my boxes.

Now that I've sold out, I can afford to buy a few beers for writing professionals.

Cheers!

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1