Scrappers place in the world

sammcs

5 hours ago, Sovera said:

but there are expectations from a Tanker.

This this this. I main a Tanker because I love the job, but sometimes I just want to bash stuff and not really worry about managing the battlefield.

In terms of killspeed, ignoring durability, is a Scrapper faster than a Blaster or vice versa? I've never quite figured out which has more overall net-killespeed.

14 minutes ago, VV said:

This this this. I main a Tanker because I love the job, but sometimes I just want to bash stuff and not really worry about managing the battlefield.

In terms of killspeed, ignoring durability, is a Scrapper faster than a Blaster or vice versa? I've never quite figured out which has more overall net-killespeed.

Scrappers don't get mezzed and are therefore superior to blasters cuz a faceplanted blaster's DPS = 0.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Scrappers don't get mezzed and are therefore superior to blasters cuz a faceplanted blaster's DPS = 0.

Ah, ya tricked me. So, let me reword the question, in terms of killspeed, ignoring durability and mezzability, is a Scrapper faster than a Blaster or vice versa? I've never quite figured out which has more overall net-killespeed.

13 minutes ago, VV said:

Ah, ya tricked me. So, let me reword the question, in terms of killspeed, ignoring durability and mezzability, is a Scrapper faster than a Blaster or vice versa? I've never quite figured out which has more overall net-killespeed.

Ignoring TW/Bio because it's broken?  It sure feels like my Blasters kill faster, but they run on lower diff so of course things die faster.  Being able to nuke every other spawn does significantly contribute to kill speed though.

22 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Clarion Destiny, a Blaster's best friend.

34 minutes ago, VV said:

A blaster can kill 16 weak enemies faster.

A scrapper can kill 5 tough enemies faster.

Which is to say, blasters have much larger aoes with higher target caps. Scrappers tend to have more single target damage and small, but potent aoes. There are of course some exceptions.

33 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

While true, there are 50+ lvls to get through before you have that.

You can pick up rune of protection at 20, and while it's not going to be as good as scrapper mez protection, as it's not perma, it helps a lot until clarion. Especially if you are running with a lot of global recharge anyway.

That's the second time I've been advocating rune of protection today. I blame Redlynne.

• Like 1

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

On 8/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, VV said:

Overall if you plan on mostly big teams you are going to kill more stuff with the Blaster. 

Small teams and solo Scrapper. 

With equal amounts of effort in the build and relative power set effectiveness and all that mess.   A Sonic/Devices Blaster probably isn't going to kill more stuff than a TW/Bio scrapper just guessing.  

Assuming that Support or Tanking is making survival not a consideration. 

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Huh. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I am therefore I drink.

Right there with you.  Regarding the OP's question, I keep coming back to Scrappers after trying everything else.  I love Stalkers, but the AOE and durability aren't quite there for me.  I love Brutes and Tanks, but the kill speed seems slow after a Scrapper.  I was a Scrapper main on live, and I guess I still am (though I can't stop rolling alts of all ATs).

29 minutes ago, Deuce Spade said:

I should mention that I'm frustrated with every Scrapper secondary at the moment except Bio and Rad because they lack a taunt aura, so there is a caveat there, I guess.

Willpower, invulnerability, and shield also all have taunt auras on a scrapper.

With you on that though.  I think the only non-taunt aura scrapper secondary I can stand is Ninjitsu.  One, the only other way to play it is on stalker (which also has no taunt aura) and the scrapper version is so much better than the stalker version.  And two, Shinobi-Iri makes you so fast that runners aren't as annoying as you can just run (or jump) them down in an instant.  Shinobi-Iri +Ninja run = most fun "travel power" in the game and Shinobi-Iri + combat jump = amazing combat maneuvers.

Even though I am on a Tanker bender I use a Scrapper to PL my new characters to level 20 before I get started with TFs. And I have to saw my Claws/Bio is still my baby. Look at that chewing through packs of enemies and them constantly on their butt with huge chunks of HP torn off. And so fluid. FU, Shockwave, Spin, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Tanker Claws is nice, it's nice, buuuuut, it's not the same thanks to the extra seconds in the cooldowns.

17 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

With you on that though.  I think the only non-taunt aura scrapper secondary I can stand is Ninjitsu.  One, the only other way to play it is on stalker (which also has no taunt aura) and the scrapper version is so much better than the stalker version.  And two, Shinobi-Iri makes you so fast that runners aren't as annoying as you can just run (or jump) them down in an instant.  Shinobi-Iri +Ninja run = most fun "travel power" in the game and Shinobi-Iri + combat jump = amazing combat maneuvers.

Thanks, now I have three more scrappers to build :-).

I agree with basically everything you said about Ninjitsu.  I love my MA/Nin scrapper.

18 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

Agreed.  Love Ninjitsu.  It's almost perfect for what I want in a concept set.

While I don't recall on INV or Shield, was WP's taunt aura pretty weak, especially so on Scrappers?

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

While I don't recall on INV or Shield, was WP's taunt aura pretty weak, especially so on Scrappers?

Willpower still has a very weak taunt aura on Scrappers, but it has been fixed on Brutes and Tankers.

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

It's generally strong enough to prevent things from annoyingly running away, but a brute or a tank can pull things off of you easily.  Pretty much exactly what I want in a scrapper taunt aura actually.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 7:23 AM, sammcs said:

Hello Scrapper forumites. I've been tossing some ideas around in my head, and I'm writing this post as a way to get some clarity.

It seems to me that scrappers have a strange place in the AT pecking order (inasmuch as there is one). Especially with the tank buff, (and stalkers having been buffed late on live) it feels like scrappers are the odd man out.

Brutes can dish out quasi-comparable damage at max fury and are tankier. Tanks are tankier and, while the damage isn't quite there, have loads of AoE. Stalkers are the undisputed single target destroyers.

Where does that leave scrappers?

I say this with love as I was a scrapper main on live and have made more scrappers than I can reasonably count. I know that their crits are still delicious, and certain combos like TW/Bio are most potent on scrappers. But beyond a few things like that, are there certain areas where they shine far more than the other melee ATs?

I'm sure I'm simplifying things a bit, and I don't mean to be down on scrappers. More looking to be educated and spark a little debate about where scrappers stand.

Thanks everyone.

He/she may not be the jack of all trades....but he/she is the master of fun 🙂

• Like 2