Hi, I'm your new official PvP community rep. Ask me anything.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:48 PM, Dan Petro said:

It isn't a switch you flip and it is back to i12, it is more like a massive untangling of powers and systems.  On the private server it was quoted as if we try this, there is no going back.  It also came with the notion that it would require a massive overhaul / balance pass with all the sets proliferated, all the game mechanics added since i12, all the new IO's floating around out there, all the free +res bonuses on sets, and a very long list of things.  So you'd have the workload of actually getting things back to i12, and from there you start from scratch re balancing a massive amount of things. 

The reality is, the PvP community is incredibly small compared to the PvE playerbase and the amount of time and effort it'd take from a volunteer dev team would far outweigh anything you'd end up getting out of it. 

That and parts of i12 were just plain awful and would be even more so with everything that has been proliferated today. 

I appreciate your response, Dan, and I agree with your sentiment.  I am not implying that there is an easy path to recalibrating PvP and undoing years of mechanics changes, not to mention the new balancing act.

As one of the old PvP community members, I am also acutely aware of the size disparity between PvE and PvP bases.  I even hosted a farewell PvP session in RV right before i13 launched.  I think CoX lost a lot of soul that December.

I am stating that I would both appreciate and help fund such a change, including the subsequent rebalancing and testing.

It is my very strong opinion that i13 PvP was the single worst gameplay change in CoX, and by a large margin.  I do not argue the many other equally valuable opinions.

I hope that this more clearly demonstrates my position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formerly @JimmyVine (on Infinity & Victory)

currently @Cenozoic (on Reunion)

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

I don't think anyone was implying that you would flip a switch hehe

I think it would be worth the time and effort. Way more people prefer it. Way more people pvp'd. And it was way more fun. 

I concur with everything Cenozoic said above including helping fund and test.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 6/14/2019 at 5:01 PM, btb7039 said:

first and by far the most important is the barrier that keeps new players from joining pvp. To me this all begin when IO setbecame a thing, there is way too much time and influence needed to invest to make a competitive pvp toon.

second to me the other killer of pvp is the lack of parity, a long time ago you could take any character into a zone and have a good time and be competitive.

I don’t think it’s the io bonuses that is a big deal because all my characters have ios and I know a lot of pve only people use them (anecdotal, I know). I would be for a zone that disabled them though (accolades and incarnate powers too). But I think you hit the nail on the head on your second point. I remember on live being able to beat people with my energy/energy blaster which, looking on the forums, no one seems to run in pvp. 

I dont know know how many resources should be thrown in for this though. I don’t imagine the casual, pvp on occasion, population is very high. Most people tend to be firmly on one side or another. 

3 hours ago, 0th Power said:

I don’t think it’s the io bonuses that is a big deal because all my characters have ios and I know a lot of pve only people use them (anecdotal, I know). I would be for a zone that disabled them though (accolades and incarnate powers too). But I think you hit the nail on the head on your second point. I remember on live being able to beat people with my energy/energy blaster which, looking on the forums, no one seems to run in pvp. 

I dont know know how many resources should be thrown in for this though. I don’t imagine the casual, pvp on occasion, population is very high. Most people tend to be firmly on one side or another. 

You're calling for set bonuses to be disallowed? That takes away a great deal of customization from a creationist standpoint, and is probably one of the more ill-formed, reactionary ideas I've read here. You can also disable set bonuses in an arena match already.

Make PvP IOs cheaper or even maybe an option at character creation that you check if the toon will be for PvP. 

14 hours ago, Meretricious said:

You're calling for set bonuses to be disallowed? That takes away a great deal of customization from a creationist standpoint, and is probably one of the more ill-formed, reactionary ideas I've read here. You can also disable set bonuses in an arena match already.

Make PvP IOs cheaper or even maybe an option at character creation that you check if the toon will be for PvP. 

If saying I would be for it, is the same as "calling for it" then yes, in a single zone.  If no changes happen, then I will still have the same enjoyable experiences in the pve game.  I'm not calling for changes, I'm not reacting to anything, all I am stating is what would get me, a casual pvp player, to become more active in pvp.  You're trying to read way too much into my post.

• 4 weeks later

Not sure if this has been said...but is there any reason for normies to go into PVP zones? I'm newly back...and am hoping to play some pvp...but the PVP io's drop in AE right? 

Wouldn't one simple solution be to create some IO sets (like the summer BB set) that only dropped in pvp?

How about some other cool stuff that you can only get in pvp? 

It's been a long time but I am pretty sure the entire reason I fell in love with pvp on live was going in to do /get something  like the pvp IO'S. 

What are the unique cool things available in pvp? If theres not a big list, there should be!

Edited by Darth_Helmet

3 hours ago, Darth_Helmet said:

Not sure if this has been said...but is there any reason for normies to go into PVP zones? I'm newly back...and am hoping to play some pvp...but the PVP io's drop in AE right? 

Wouldn't one simple solution be to create some IO sets (like the summer BB set) that only dropped in pvp?

It's been a long time but I am pretty sure the entire reason I fell in love with pvp on live was going in to do /get something  like the pvp IO'S. 

What are the unique cool things available in pvp? If theres not a big list, there should be!

That's a great question. Off the top of my head, I can think of:

PvP zones granting temporary powers ranging from stealth and phase, shivan pet and nukes, that can be used outside of those zones. 

PvP set bonuses from the PvP IOs you mentioned being active in zones and arena. 

PvP zone exploration, history, defeat, accomplishment, achievement and accolade (no bonuses though) badges.

Maybe Items of Power as well if they still function and require base raiding. Otherwise that's moot.

That's all I know of. I think the reward mechanics for PvP in this game are entirely based on an individuals subjective opinion. Some people enjoy the reward of being good at one thing in a zone, or fight clubbing, or talking more than fighting for camaraderie or something, or doing arena pick up matches, participating in semi-competitive matches, hosting tournaments, etc. The rewards are really intangible in that sense. 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

26 minutes ago, Neuronia said:

So I'm seeing a lot of Blaster attacks use two att/dam IOs from sets. What's the advantage of doing this over 2 acc/Dam Hami-Os, if there isn't a set bonus involved?

its cheaper, and if you boost them to +5 its almost the same buff

• Thanks 1

• Community Rep
On 10/22/2019 at 4:33 AM, Darth_Helmet said:

I do like the idea of incentives for PvP, ie prizes (merits, items, or unique badges) for winning and even just participating in PvP events.

However, I want to avoid “incentives” that just make people who don’t want to PvP feel like they have to participate. 

I also don’t want to promote more meaningless PvP badges like the ones that exist now. They can be obtained without actually PvPing, have no relevance to actual PvP ability, and are really just a hassle to grind out for the people who care about them (and the people who do care about them are usually not pvpers). 

I’d rather let the badgers do their thing in peace, and instead have rewards that mean something.

Right now, those rewards are mostly just merits for winning/placing/raffles in the monthly PvP events (and fun, lol). Maybe more in the future, but as with everything else here, there are no promises. 

I also am not arguing for anything meaningless. To me, having PVP recipes drop in non PVP areas...and especially AE actually makes them meaningless and trivializes them. 

They should still only be available in PVP or on the auctions for sale by means of someone who got them.from PVP....

And there should be other meaningful stuff only available to pvp zones too.  Theres plenty of things available to PVE ... and theres a marketplace for people to trade if they dont want to go into a pvp zone.

Adding meaningful pvp drops / rewards will only help the game.  There is a lack of players in pvp zones...the game already caters to PVE players...throwing a bone to PVP players has to be the right call IMO..giving a little nudge to players to encourage them to go to.a dangerous area...must be the right direction.  Give people a meaningful reason...and they'll go...and have fun.../excitement 

Edited by Darth_Helmet

• Community Rep

I didn’t mean that you were asking for things that were meaningless. I know you weren’t. I was saying that things like current PvP badges, like the ones for starting an arena match (that you still get even if you just afk the match or quit out of it) are meaningless rewards to most pvpers, and I wouldn’t want the team to waste resources on them. 

The reason I don’t like the idea of recipes that only drop in PvP is because I want to make slotting/ioing/leveling/accolading PvP characters as easy as the devs will possibly allow me to. When PvP IOs only dropped in PvP, the drop rates were too low for someone to actually get enough of them from normal PvPing. The most effective way to get PvP IOs was through afk farming them with multiple accounts (ie not actually PvPing). Casual players, or non-farmers we’re having to pay insane amounts of influence for PvP IOs (2 bill for a glad jav proc for a while) and usually couldn’t afford them. It won’t be as bad here with converters in play, but unless the drop rate were lowered to the point where there wasn’t any exclusivity to them, I wouldn’t be about it. 

On 10/22/2019 at 1:41 AM, Glacier Peak said:

Not sure if this has been said...but is there any reason for normies to go into PVP zones?

In addition to the list above, PvE players would also go to PvP zones for redside Accolades, although the "stay in Siren's Call and annoy people using the bounty system" badge isn't required anymore, and they don't have to stay in the zones very long to get what they need.

Born in Battle (5% hp, 5% end) requires Triumphant (exploration in Warburg) and Swashbuckler, which has history plaques in Bloody Bay and Siren's Call.

Marshal (5% end) requires Weapon of Mass Destruction (exploration in Warburg) and Arachnos Rising, which has a history plaque in Warburg.

Megalomaniac (+special) also requires Triumphant, along with Last Stand (exploration in Recluse's Victory). It also requires 200 shivan kills, but you can get those in PvE.

Headline Stealer (stolen immobilizer ray) requires Crooked Politician (exploration in Bloody Bay).

I know exactly nothing about PvP, but I have a question for PvPers out there:  is it fun for you to kill players who aren't actually PvPing?  I think I know the answer, but it kind of baffles me (as to what is fun about that).  Maybe that's why I don't PvP though?  I just don't get it.

What prompted my question is something that happened the other night.  Some guy said he needed help in RV and people, including myself, went to help.  Obviously this meant that every PvPer who saw the call rushed to RV (which I do get) and started picking off the people who were trying to take out LR.  I get that, too, if you're dumb enough to go there, you're going to get ganked.  Makes sense.

The part that didn't make sense to me was that it just went on and on.  I got killed at least six times.  The first time I thought it was just an NPC since there were tons around, so I fought back.  When I was killed, I thought it was by a toxic.  Anyway, after that, I died again, and this time I saw that it was a PvPer and I realized that was probably what happened the first time.  I didn't mind that time, either, to be clear.  I was in their world and fair game. 

So after that, I grabbed a few restorations and headed back out.  I figured that if nothing else, I could rez and get killed again since I've got a long way to go for my damage taken badges (I was on my badger).  So I did that until I ran out of insp.  But as I was hitting the rez candy, I thought to myself, okay, I know what I'm getting out of this, but what on earth is the fun in killing a toon that is just standing there without any defenses (having just rez'd, no armor, no shield, no nothing).  I made no effort to fight back or to get away, so it just seemed . . . weird to me.

When I ran out of wakies, I headed out, and I did make good progress on my damage badge, so yay!  I was just curious about the fun in that for PvPers.  It seemed as lame as hunting greys for kill badges (a thing I avoid by using ouro to get to appropriate lvl to head to zones and kill things that aren't effectively just standing there, not fighting back and without any defense at all). 

Edited by Tahliah
grr typos
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tahliah said:

I know exactly nothing about PvP, but I have a question for PvPers out there:  is it fun for you to kill players who aren't actually PvPing?  I think I know the answer, but it kind of baffles me (as to what is fun about that).  Maybe that's why I don't PvP though?  I just don't get it.

What prompted my question is something that happened the other night.  Some guy said he needed help in RV and people, including myself, went to help.  Obviously this meant that every PvPer who saw the call rushed to RV (which I do get) and started picking off the people who were trying to take out LR.  I get that, too, if you're dumb enough to go there, you're going to get ganked.  Makes sense.

The part that didn't make sense to me was that it just went on and on.  I got killed at least six times.  The first time I thought it was just an NPC since there were tons around, so I fought back.  When I was killed, I thought it was by a toxic.  Anyway, after that, I died again, and this time I saw that it was a PvPer and I realized that was probably what happened the first time.  I didn't mind that time, either, to be clear.  I was in their world and fair game. 

So after that, I grabbed a few restorations and headed back out.  I figured that if nothing else, I could rez and get killed again since I've got a long way to go for my damage taken badges (I was on my badger).  So I did that until I ran out of insp.  But as I was hitting the rez candy, I thought to myself, okay, I know what I'm getting out of this, but what on earth is the fun in killing a toon that is just standing there without any defenses (having just rez'd, no armor, no shield, no nothing).  I made no effort to fight back or to get away, so it just seemed . . . weird to me.

When I ran out of wakies, I headed out, and I did make good progress on my damage badge, so yay!  I was just curious about the fun in that for PvPers.  It seemed as lame as hunting greys for kill badges (a thing I avoid by using ouro to get to appropriate lvl to head to zones and kill things that aren't effectively just standing there, not fighting back and without any defense at all). 

I mean, I probably wouldn't be using awakens in a PvP zone because you rez with like 25% health, no endurance, and the 30-second PvP timer doesn't apply. I'm honestly surprised when someone does use them because they're basically a free kill at that point. Plus there's the chance for a PvP recipe drop with defeats so *shrug*.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

2 hours ago, macskull said:

I mean, I probably wouldn't be using awakens in a PvP zone because you rez with like 25% health, no endurance, and the 30-second PvP timer doesn't apply. I'm honestly surprised when someone does use them because they're basically a free kill at that point. Plus there's the chance for a PvP recipe drop with defeats so *shrug*.

D'oh! Of course, PvP recipes.  It didn't even occur to me, to be honest, since I just buy the PvP recipes I need for my PvE build (usually with merits). But that makes perfect sense!  Heck, I'd do it, too, if I were a PvPer, then.  I'm not sure about the "free kill," but that seems important, maybe there is some kind of reward for "x" number of kills in PvP beyond the seemingly easy number needed for the badge (even we PvEers can get that easily enough). 

As to using wakies, I was using restorations, so rez'd at 75% health, a pretty good chunk that I was happy to contribute to my damage badge.  Sounds like it was a win-win, then.  That makes me feel better.  If I got decent drops (let alone a chance of a purple recipe) by killing greys in hunts, I'd do it, too!  Maybe I'll grab some immortals and help out you guys while you help me out, too.  :P

• 3 months later

is a hold/cc buff on the horizon? this has probably been asked, but understand, I don't to spend a lot of time combing through the many pages/thread to find out 😛

If a hold/cc once meant certain death, to me... that means you avoid engaging a troller until you have support. Balance doesn't always mean perfect 1v1 equality. 

• Community Rep

As far as I'm aware, there are no major systematic changes planned right now. That doesn't mean they won't happen, but due to the nature of this being an all volunteer project on a 15 year old game, there's no ETA on anything.

CC right now is in a weird spot in that it's basically the exact opposite of how it was before i13. CC before i13 was over-tuned in 1v1s, but almost a non-factor in organized team PvP. CC as it is now is borderline broken in organized team situations, but not high impact in 1v1s or less organized stuff. 

Any changes to CC would have to be made very carefully (for the record, I personally WOULD like to see changes). I don't like how strong CC is in team matches, it acts as a skill reducing mechanic in a patch where offense is already extremely forgiving. In less organized stuff, the way CC works currently completely marginalizes certain ATs and power combos, making them either completely useless or extremely niche.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:38 AM, Illy said:

is a hold/cc buff on the horizon? this has probably been asked, but understand, I don't to spend a lot of time combing through the many pages/thread to find out 😛

If a hold/cc once meant certain death, to me... that means you avoid engaging a troller until you have support. Balance doesn't always mean perfect 1v1 equality. 

A hold / CC still means certain death under the right circumstances.  Old 1 v 1's controllers and doms it was all about how fast you could run your opponent out of BF's and most matches were pretty much over by the 3-4 minute mark unless the person with the hold stacking screwed up.   Now those characters have shifted their strength from 1 v 1 to team settings and they are incredibly powerful there.

So like you said balance isn't about 1 v 1 equality, it has just shifted. Those characters are still viable, just in different settings now.   

I am really hoping this doesn't end up the same way most MMOs do: the basic game balance being broken because of tweaks to balance PVP. That's what caused WoW and SWTOR to change their talent system completely, and generally destroys the enjoyment a lot of players get from games. And as I remember, PVP was never that big of a part of CoX. I know there were some people who ran it, but the vast majority did not. IIRC disclaimer 😛

• 3 months later