CoH Modder

25 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Doesn't matter, that's why I ask you where the CoH directory is, so you can run it from anywhere.

It gets you questions like this. An installer that picks/makes a "COH Modder" folder under your main drive Games folder would give a basic default to head off questions.

2 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

It gets you questions like this. An installer that picks/makes a "COH Modder" folder under your main drive Games folder would give a basic default to head off questions.

I suppose I could set a default starting directory. However, I wrote my tool so that it can handle multiple servers, not JUST Homecoming. Setting a default folder would, in essence, tell the user that "we prefer that you use Homecoming".

Not sure I want to do that.

And on top of that, at some point the users have to be responsible for their own experience. You can only hand-hold them so much.

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Like 1
I'm out.

Might I suggest:

Game is installed to

• c:\Games\CoH\Prefered Launcher

Recommended Location

• c:\Games\CoH\ModTool

This way they can have the tool installed in a common root folder without relying on the user to even stick to one server. There are a number of assumptions with the decision (did they maybe install to root of c:\ perhaps?), but since the app is portable (?), then in the end it shouldn't matter.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 2 weeks later

Nice tool. Thanks for putting this together.

Unfortunately, I doubt I could even begin making my own mods, but if someone would be interested, there's one that would help me greatly.

Something to more or less disable or change the graphics effects on Disruption Arrow (I think that's the right one). I have seizures, and some photosensitivity issues, and that field of expanding concentric rings is disrupting me more than the enemies. Obviously I don't use it myself (though it would be nice to be comfortable doing so), but when we have an archer or two in a TF, I know I'm in for a rough time of it. Does that seem like a mod anybody would be interested in trying to make?

16 minutes ago, Starhammer said:

Nice tool. Thanks for putting this together.

Unfortunately, I doubt I could even begin making my own mods, but if someone would be interested, there's one that would help me greatly.

Something to more or less disable or change the graphics effects on Disruption Arrow (I think that's the right one). I have seizures, and some photosensitivity issues, and that field of expanding concentric rings is disrupting me more than the enemies. Obviously I don't use it myself (though it would be nice to be comfortable doing so), but when we have an archer or two in a TF, I know I'm in for a rough time of it. Does that seem like a mod anybody would be interested in trying to make?

IDK if that can be done with a Mod so much as it would be a good idea to throw at the Devs for a settings option (unless there's a setting I've forgotten about).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

13 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

IDK if that can be done with a Mod so much as it would be a good idea to throw at the Devs for a settings option (unless there's a setting I've forgotten about).

It may be possible to 'kill' the rings portion of the animation though. Does the Longbow Lts. sonic grenade cause a similar issue?

A dev may be willing to try and help with disabling it, just for a health reason.

15 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

It may be possible to 'kill' the rings portion of the animation though. Does the Longbow Lts. sonic grenade cause a similar issue?

I honestly don't know. I just don't fight enough Longbow on a regular basis to remember that specific attack.

15 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

I expect if anything it would have to be done with a mod, unless they wanted to change the whole effect server side. Even if they did a Minimal FX option, it would only affect your own casts. As a client side mod it would cover every instance of the power's use. (and who knows, maybe a couple others... the way I now hear lightsaber sounds on battle axes 😛 )

Edited by Starhammer

9 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

Hmm. Just tried to install the 5th Column files and it kept crashing the game with a misnamed boot file.

(And COH Modder might want to check to see if the launchers are running, if that causes problems.)

The launcher being active doesn't have an effect so much as the Game being active as your changes may not take effect until you restart the game itself. Generally, it's best not to be logged in when managing mods, but the launchers can stay open.

BTW, Solarverse, I really enjoy the Blaster SFX for the pistols. If you ever tinker with it some more, any chance you could try to include the Revolver temp power? Just for those folks than need a blaster, but aren't using a gun set...

--------------------------

So, I figured I'd try making a mod... see if I can start figuring this stuff out, then I don't have to ask others to do it for me.

Turns out I do not yet qualify as even an entry level Any Idiot. I feel like a monkey with a machinegun. I can pull the trigger, even change the change the magazine. But I have no idea how to load the bullets I want into it.

Anybody have a step-by-step instruction set for folks like me? In this example, I wanted to go for something simple, like changing the Daft Punk mod to play a different piece of music in the DJ area. I got to the point of loading it as a mod to edit, and now I feel like I'm trying to read Greek.

Edited by Starhammer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Tried to install All v1 and got this message:

1310157145_2021-02-0120_27_13-CoHModder-ToolsUtilitiesDownloads-HomecomingMozillaFirefox.png.9a4e77f25d6f55746f465a2b38500503.png

It displays this every time I launch modder and I can only exit by killing it in Task Manager.

Any thoughts?

Program looks like this:

1867507638_2021-02-0120_35_07-CoHModder-ToolsUtilitiesDownloads-HomecomingMozillaFirefox.png.c550c18ab3100fdfbbcee071dba0e63b.png

Edited by xl8

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

Hi, I hope someone can help. I downloaded COH Modder and unzipped it. I run the program, select where CoH is installed. It says there are X number of server mods, but it doesn't show any in the  "Uninstalled Server Mods" window. Is there something I'm missing? Any ideas?

coh_modder.thumb.PNG.572f48b55b1a4a4cdc0052dc9cef3347.PNG

OK so perhaps I am a real life Luddite and missed something simple and obvious, but how do I actually download this program?

I followed the instructions and went to the City of Players site and the CoH Modder page, but the download link is not for a zip file or an .exe, but for something called CoH_Modder_168.7z which directs to nowhere and my computer can't figure out what to open it with. I watched @Solarverse's set up video to see what I was missing, and in his video the link downloaded a .zip file, which mine is not doing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Fomsie said:

Any suggestions?

Files with the .7z extension are opened with the 7-zip archive software, which you'll need to download/install if you don't already have it. Since that video was made, it appears that the CoH Modder archive file format was changed from .zip to .7z.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Files with the .7z extension are opened with the 7-zip archive software, which you'll need to download/install if you don't already have it. Since that video was made, it appears that the CoH Modder archive file format was changed from .zip to .7z.

Thanks! I had just dummied my way through some Google-Fu and was reading up on it when you replied. I think I have it working now.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, Fomsie said:

Thanks! I had just dummied my way through some Google-Fu and was reading up on it when you replied. I think I have it working now.

Yeah, I believe that at some point it had changed after I made the video. Glad you figured it out.