CoH Modder

4 hours ago, damienray said:

I'm just checking - haven't seen any new stuff in the CoH Modder in a bit. Am I not connecting, or are things just quiet for now? Thanks 😁

If you wanna go internet archive diving for old mods we can add.... 😉

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

It seems like not many people are interested in making client side mods for CoH, even with all of the tools that I provided to make it easier to figure out how to do so.... 😛

Perhaps CoH really is dead, and we're just playing around with the remains of its corpse at this point. It certainly isn't the explosive resurgence that I expected it to be after the source code was leaked, that's for sure...

Hell, I'm pretty sure that the original Wolfenstein 3D from the 80s has a more vibrant modding community than CoH has. I wonder why...

Edited by The Philotic Knight
I'm out.

I disagree. I enjoy mods myself. Both costume and sound mods. (The Beam Rifle sound mod has become a NECESSITY for me.) I think this forum is poorly laid out to make such things available. It is not in any way obvious where to look. You have to do some hunting. I truly believe that if we had a dedicated "Client Side Modifications" sub-forum that a LOT more people would download and mod. 

In fact I came here today because I'm going to post a Daft Punk music replacement mix for Pocket D. 

EDIT: OK - it would help things IMMENSELY if you would use something to compress your program OTHER than 7 Zip. Because apparently I can't use that on my computer. 

Edited by Dynamo-Joe

Perhaps it's the lack of need for mods beyond what exists?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

43 minutes ago, Dynamo-Joe said:

EDIT: OK - it would help things IMMENSELY if you would use something to compress your program OTHER than 7 Zip. Because apparently I can't use that on my computer. 

You mean the program won't run on your computer? Or you need the program?

14 hours ago, Dynamo-Joe said:

That did it! Thanks! Aaand now I'm a bit embarrassed... turns out I already HAD uploaded my Daft Punk mix and forgot I'd done it! Whoops! ^_^;;

ACTUALLY, I added it "for you" months ago based on our PM conversation that I'm not surprised was forgotten... as I was going through all of the old "mod threads" and trying to find pre-existing mods to add into the system... 😛

I'm out.

• 2 months later

Since @AboveTheChemist reminded me that this program exists, I jumped back into the code. I just pushed out a new update on the website now, version 1.69 (heh). The only additions to this are an upload progress bar, as I just noticed that while downloads have a progress bar, uploads didn't. That is all at this time. Please let me know if you see any other way the program can be improved.

I'm out.

4 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

Is there any functionality for 'conflicting' file change mods? Or at least saying 'you are trying to use 2 different override mods here dude!'

Not really at this time.... the closest thing that it has is whenever a mod is installed, if any existing files are there, they are automatically backed up, and then restored once the mod is uninstalled. So, lets say you have Mod 1, which affects Wolf sounds, and then Mod 2 affects ALL animal sounds. Once you install Mod 2 "on top of" Mod 1, then wolf sounds will be "backed up", and then when Mod 2 is uninstalled, you'll be back to the wolf sounds from Mod 1.

I had a hell of a time figuring that one out already, I can't imagine trying to figure out anything more complex than that!

• Like 1
I'm out.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:10 AM, The Philotic Knight said:

I had a hell of a time figuring that one out already, I can't imagine trying to figure out anything more complex than that!

Not sure the details of your current implementation, but an idea to solve this would be to buildup a Map<String, List<String>> which would map a path & filename to a list of mods that is modifying it. For example (pseudo-code):

// Map of ModifiedFiles -> List of Mods modifying it
Map<String, List<String>> moddedFiles;

// Build up a list of all the modified files
for-each (mod in mods)
{
    for-each (file in mod)
    {
        if (!moddedFiles.contains(file))
            moddedFiles.insert(mod, new List<String>());

moddedFiles.get(file).append(mod);
    }
}

// Check for conflicts and print them out
for-each (element in moddedFiles)
{
    if (element.second.size() > 1)
    {
        print("File conflict %s\n", element.first);
        for-each(str in element.second)
            print(" - %s\n", str);
    }
}

• Like 1

I'll have to think on this @Sarrate, it's a good idea. I think what I'd have to do is keep a "historical record" of the files, and what order they were modded in, and then when you went to uninstall a mod, try to figure out which "version" of each modded file should be restored based on that. It would take some work, but I'm sure it's possible. I'd just have to think about HOW exactly I'd do it.

My source code is out there and free to modify, if you've got the time and want to think about tackling it for yourself. You'd just have to setup your own FTP server for testing, as the credentials to mine I have removed from the code for obvious reasons.

Its in c#. 😃

• Thanks 1
I'm out.

• 1 month later

I got the modder to install and work but for some reason my game won't load and HC launcher doesn't recognize the pathway. I get error message "Unable to locate bin/clientmessages-en.bin"

I see where i messed up! Was trying to put in the live folder where the actual CoH game was launching instead of Homecoming folder...

Edited by Demig0d

9 minutes ago, Demig0d said:

I got the modder to install and work but for some reason my game won't load and HC launcher doesn't recognize the pathway. I get error message "Unable to locate bin/clientmessages-en.bin"

1. What operating system are you using?
  2. Did you have a previous installation of Homecoming, or is this a new installation?
  3. Did you play this installation of Homecoming successfully BEFORE using the Modder tool?
  4. How many and which mods have you installed through the modder program already?
  5. What is your Homecoming file path on your PC?
  6. Where can the homecoming.exe file be found on your PC?
  7. Where did you point the "CoH Root Directory" path to?
I'm out.

On 4/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Not really at this time.... the closest thing that it has is whenever a mod is installed, if any existing files are there, they are automatically backed up, and then restored once the mod is uninstalled. So, lets say you have Mod 1, which affects Wolf sounds, and then Mod 2 affects ALL animal sounds. Once you install Mod 2 "on top of" Mod 1, then wolf sounds will be "backed up", and then when Mod 2 is uninstalled, you'll be back to the wolf sounds from Mod 1.

That was actually a pretty damn good idea and a great alternative. Gotta give you credit, PK, your brain is a wonderful thing.