CoH Modder

1 hour ago, Retroman said:

So at @The Philotic Knight's suggestion, I'm trying to download CoH Modder.

When I try, I get this from my Norton's AV:

Modder.jpg.d2d9145b0b8de8bf9138dc68804f8e4a.jpg

I even turned off the Secure VPN part of the Norton's but got the same result.

Help.  🥺

I can't really help you with your AV but to tell you to turn it all the way off while downloading and installing. It's a false positive. Then turn it in again after it's installed. 

I'm out.

9 minutes ago, Retroman said:

I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

Edit:  No luck . . . Oh well.

I suppose you  can try reporting to Norton as a false positive using the instructions here:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100222230832EN#:~:text=A false positive occurs when,program or website is suspicious.&text=Norton alerts that a file or program developed and created,a legitimate website is malicious

I'm out.

6 hours ago, Retroman said:

So at @The Philotic Knight's suggestion, I'm trying to download CoH Modder.

When I try, I get this from my Norton's AV:

Modder.jpg.d2d9145b0b8de8bf9138dc68804f8e4a.jpg

I even turned off the Secure VPN part of the Norton's but got the same result.

Help.  🥺

You need to quit norton entirely most likely as turning stuff off doesn't kill the background filters, but if you know how to report the file as Safe to norton itself, then that would be better overall as we know there's nothing malicious in the code.

Edit: Guess who didn't read ALL the replies first. :p

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I would really like to get CoH Modder on my computer, but I'm not very computer-literate.

When I open my Task Manager, I see 3 processes with Norton's in the title.  IF I 'End Task' on these 3 things, will it turn Norton's completely off?

And to turn it back on after the download, do I just reboot my computer?

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Retroman said:

I would really like to get CoH Modder on my computer, but I'm not very computer-literate.

When I open my Task Manager, I see 3 processes with Norton's in the title.  IF I 'End Task' on these 3 things, will it turn Norton's completely off?

And to turn it back on after the download, do I just reboot my computer?

Thanks!

They may think they're being attacked and relaunch if you do that (being a security app). You'll need to find the system tray icon, right click, and look for something like quit or turn off. Normally they give a warning, etc.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

34 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

You'll need to find the system tray icon, right click, and look for something like quit or turn off. Normally they give a warning, etc.

When I right-click on the system tray icon, this is what I see:

Nortons.jpg.0585d1719ebabbf07f1f7b203685c88e.jpg

Open My Norton and Open Norton 360 merely take you to where you Run Scans, do LiveUpdates, etc.

Settings doesn't have an 'off-switch' either.

Is Disable Auto-Protect and Disable Smart Firewall the way to turn Norton's off?

1 hour ago, Nerio72 said:

Nortons website says yes, turn both of those off. It should ask for a duration.

So I disable both of these things and try again to download the CoH Modder.

Same result:

Modder.jpg.f18c513f434469294da50d1ebd742e4a.jpg

Guess I'll try to figure out how to report the file as Safe to Norton itself,  Heck, Norton's thinks that the website itself (City of Players) is malicious.  :smh:

Oh well.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Ashe1988 said:

Okay the 1st error actually comes up twice

error 1.png

error2.png

Well, I mean, the error kinda says what the problem is there - the program can't write to your CoH directory due to restrictive permissions. So you have to do one of two things:

1. Change the permissions for that directory, and/or
  2. Move the CoH folder outside of the program files directory, as Windows sometimes acts extra protective of that folder.
  • Like 1
I'm out.

18 minutes ago, Retroman said:

So I disable both of these things and try again to download the CoH Modder.

Same result:

Modder.jpg.f18c513f434469294da50d1ebd742e4a.jpg

Guess I'll try to figure out how to report the file as Safe to Norton itself,  Heck, Norton's thinks that the website itself (City of Players) is malicious.  :smh:

Oh well.

Norton USED to be good. It used to be my go-to AV solution for years. Then about maybe 15 years ago, they introduced "Internet Security" and/or "360" and started TAKING OVER PEOPLE'S COMPUTERS. 

Now, I really consider it malware, ironically because of that, and even if it comes "free" pre-installed on a system, I rip it out of there and replace it with AVG Free. Used AVG for about a decade now, and it's never let me down.

And it does its job WITHOUT the intrusiveness that Norton dishes out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
I'm out.

• 2 weeks later
On 9/28/2021 at 6:53 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

Well, I mean, the error kinda says what the problem is there - the program can't write to your CoH directory due to restrictive permissions. So you have to do one of two things:

1. Change the permissions for that directory, and/or
  2. Move the CoH folder outside of the program files directory, as Windows sometimes acts extra protective of that folder.

Rather than moving the folder or messing with permissions, you may be able to run CoH Modder as administrator.

Run as Administrator in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, paco6381 said:

Rather than moving the folder or messing with permissions, you may be able to run CoH Modder as administrator.

Run as Administrator in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

While this can be an option (and one of the few apps I'd trust the dev on to do this with), the overall recommendation for installing the game is to avoid things that the new OSes like to protect by installing it to say C:\Games\CoH. This seems to work best for most people and leave the remainder of the issues down to AV troubleshooting, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not exactly sure how this happened but somehow (someway), I have the CoH_Modder_169.7z file.  HURRAY!

Now.  I need to unzip the file using 7-Zip, right?  And unzip the file into C:\Games\CoH or does it need to go into C:\Games\CoH\Homecoming?

I guess that I celebrated too soon.  I download 7-Zip and try to unzip the file.

Here's a pic of where the file supposedly is:

604598471_QuickAccess.jpg.a93bbbebbfd92adbe3c9a7f39e3bf53f.jpg

It's listed under Quick Access but nowhere else.  When I try to unzip the file, a window pops up with 94 files (almost none of them are for City of Heroes.  In fact, there is no CoH_Modder_169.7z anywhere on the list.

I right-clicked on the file (in the above pic) and went to Properties.  The file size is 127kb, so the file is on my computer somewhere, right?  Why can't I find it?  😒

14 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

@Retroman when you right click the icon and choose properties, do you not see a Location section in that window?

Sure do.  Here's a pic:

800322662_ModProp.jpg.18c673e03ac19d17cf6542af8dd35ad3.jpg

I'll show you the file location in a sec. but WTH?!!  In the red box, Size and Size on Disk is 0 bytes.  That's probably the problem.  There's nothing there.

Here's the C:\Users\User\Download pic:

742538745_FileLocation.jpg.45a29e2e89a06a52913ce16d129e505d.jpg

The Modder is not on the list.  I'll keep trying but I'm beginning to wonder if it's meant to be or not.  😉

When i try to follow the link all i get is - 

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

ZERO MERIDIAN (AFFILIATED WITH THE HOUNDS OF L❤️VE) REUNION SERVE

ZM WATCHTOWER, Geosynchronous Low-Earth Orbit, Lat 51.476852 Long -0.000500,

enterbasefrompasscode ZEROMERIDIAN-1121 

ZM Watchtower is for all heroes at all times, all we ask is that you set your visual scale  /vis_scale 10