CoH Modder

21 minutes ago, Sir Zues said:

This Modder thing not everyone knows how to use it and your instruction are very complicated and don't even know if this application can be trusted.  Vidiot Maps should be easy to update and install like before the Modder thing.  Don't like all this complication stuff to update maps on a game I have been playing for a long time.

What's exactly complicated?  Its five steps:

1. Unzip the program.
  2. Run the program
  3. Point it at your CoH directory
  4. Click on the mod you want to install.
  5. Click the install button.

I made it about as easy as humanly possible...

• Like 3
I'm out.

39 minutes ago, Sir Zues said:

This Modder thing not everyone knows how to use it and your instruction are very complicated and don't even know if this application can be trusted.  Vidiot Maps should be easy to update and install like before the Modder thing.  Don't like all this complication stuff to update maps on a game I have been playing for a long time.

It's your call whether you trust things from the internet. I don't see the Vidiot files being more trustworthy tho.

I personally use the CoH Modder and have had no problems with it. I also use Vidiotmaps and have had no problems. Once you get CoH Modder it's very easy to use and update things. The game gets updated and the maps have to get updated, so it's being added to all the time. The Modder is the easiest way to do it, really.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

What specific problems are you having? 

1. Unzip the program.
  2. Run the program

For me, the first two steps are the problem. I don't see a program to unzip, but a program I'm missing "something" with which to run it

Modder.JPG

Put into practice that which cannot be thought

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1596
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

10 hours ago, Blue Jay said:
  1. Unzip the program.
  2. Run the program

For me, the first two steps are the problem. I don't see a program to unzip, but a program I'm missing "something" with which to run it

Modder.JPG

Here, let Google that for you...

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=7z+file

I'm out.

2 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Then, you should be able to right click on the file and use the 7Zip context menu to unzip it... what's the problem?

This is all I see when I select your modder program

7zip.JPG

7zip.JPG

Modder Program.JPG

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

2 hours ago, Blue Jay said:

What IS the problem?

The problem is that you're using some sort of weird 3rd party 7z program, looks like you got it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/7z-file-opener/9nblggh379j9?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

By some dude named "pauljohn".

Don't use that, Uninstall it. Use the ACTUAL 7Zip program:

https://www.7-zip.org/

I'm out.

3 hours ago, Nerio72 said:

Now you either Save it (what you have selected) or Open it (above what you have selected)

Once its open in 7Zip then you can unzip it wherever you want

I've done both of those things. It only shows me what's in the picture here

Edited by Blue Jay

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

2 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

The problem is that you're using some sort of weird 3rd party 7z program, looks like you got it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/7z-file-opener/9nblggh379j9?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

By some dude named "pauljohn".

Don't use that, Uninstall it. Use the ACTUAL 7Zip program:

https://www.7-zip.org/

7.JPG

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

I'm not TRYING to be ridiculous here. It may be coming out that way, but I truly am trying to go about this and find a way that works with your directions

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

2 minutes ago, Blue Jay said:

I'm not TRYING to be ridiculous here. It may be coming out that way, but I truly am trying to go about this and find a way that works with your directions

Great, you have the official 7Zip program installed now. Now you have to right click on the 7z file for the program. Your screenshot just shows your most recent files, check your downloads directory. Should be there. 

Edited by The Philotic Knight
I'm out.

5 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Great, you have the official 7Zip program installed now. Now you have to right click on the 7z file for the program. Your screenshot just shows your most recent files, check your downloads directory. Should be there. 

When I right click the program, what do I click?

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

@Blue Jay I don't know what that "7z2106..." thing is, but that's not the modder. This is the modder file (the one with CoH Modder in the name), and this is the menu option you choose:

image.png.f81f76aa5c39ce2d540929735e9f08d4.png

If you don't see it, I guess you must have deleted it and need to download it again.

After you unzip it, you go into the folder you unzipped things to, and then run the program:

image.png.77f41ca390ce2371df077a14bc6fced3.png

image.png.ecc096ea05cd1535234aed5917d56195.png

Then you click the Browse button, and point it to wherever you installed COH to. I installed it to "C:\HC\", but you probably installed it somewhere different:

image.png.1d00d07f7a360027e1024bc9fe7a6252.png

image.png.898ee2ae637be92e7a975219eb9023ec.png

If you did NOT pick the correct directory, you'll get an error like this:

image.png.cd38ae32b8639f542c2c300e5283e050.png

That just means you didn't pick the correct directory, so you must pick the actual one where you installed CoH at.

image.png.a7e0482e1c2721f7fd5aac2ac9ac2469.png

I'm doing the best I can here, but I kind of expected someone trying to play City of Heroes to have some sort of basic computer knowledge that you seem to be lacking... no offense intended, but maybe you might need to get a computer savvy friend to come and help you?

I'm out.

I never had the program. That's why I came asking help

"I kind of expected someone trying to play City of Heroes to have some sort of basic computer knowledge that you seem to be lacking... no offense intended"

Right. No offense intended my eye.

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

I'm sorry @Blue Jay, just very frustrated. Some of the things I've been trying to guide you through are things I learned when I was 13... back in 1993... I'd assumed that anyone that has touched a computer since then would know how to download a file to a directory, how to find it in their file system beyond looking at their recent documents list, how to find and install an unzipping program, and use it.

For me, this is literally 8th grade stuff. So when I say no offense, I mean it. I simply cannot comprehend anyone that's able to install and run City of Heroes itself to not be able to do these things without a lot of hand holding.

Seems... really strange to me. Frankly I thought you were being intentionally obtuse and/or trolling me.

I'm out.

Obtuse, yes. Intentionally, no. Not trolling

I used the Internet for the first time when I was 20, back in 1998, and it has not played a major role in my life. Since then, between college, grad school, the air force (all very focused and specialized in religious studies), homelessness, and other such times as I spent "disappeared from the face of the earth," I have not regularly had access to computers, let alone what's basic to someone with your (and many others') background. I love CoX, though!

I have to be "that guy" who asks questions or I will not know. My apologies regarding being frustrating

I think I have the program up and running now

Edited by Blue Jay

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

Hi, PK and Bluejay, thanks for spelling stuff out so much. I've hit a bug in the install process, too. The download went fine (Windows 10), and I've got the file extracted, but when I try to run the .exe to install in my C:/CoH/ directory, I get this:

image.png

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!

6 hours ago, Blue Jay said:

I never had the program. That's why I came asking help

"I kind of expected someone trying to play City of Heroes to have some sort of basic computer knowledge that you seem to be lacking... no offense intended"

Right. No offense intended my eye.

To be fair with PK I had the same reaction yesterday when I tried to explain to someone how to copy a macro from the chat and they answered they didn't know how to (they also gave up even after I and the team piped in trying to explain 'click on text, drag cursor to select text, control C').

My own first reaction was 'how can you be on a computer, in a MMO, and not know how to copy text?'.

That said yes, it is as you've said afterwards, we are all just so used to things that we take them for absolute granted. Welcome back to CoH and good news on making it work!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milk Sheik said:

Hi, PK and Bluejay, thanks for spelling stuff out so much. I've hit a bug in the install process, too. The download went fine (Windows 10), and I've got the file extracted, but when I try to run the .exe to install in my C:/CoH/ directory, I get this:

image.png

You need to open up port 21 on your network and PC for FTP access. Either your router or your software firewall are blocking it.

I'm out.

6 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

You need to open up port 21 on your network and PC for FTP access. Either your router or your software firewall are blocking it.

Tried that just now (Googled how) and tried to make an exception in my antivirus as well. No go.

image.png.79187028bc96a66a3b4155a907839b6f.png

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!