CoH Modder

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

It's easy to miss things when You're the one creating it. That's why the industry always has outside testers for apps. 😉

It's called Programmer's Blindness, which I learned about a long time ago.  Spend hours looking for what's wrong in the code.  Buddy walks up, spends 2 minutes (or less), and asks "What about this?" and finds the root cause. 🙂

@The Philotic Knight, patched map for i27 for Vidiot Maps for Siren's Call here, courtesy of @Juggy.  I've tested it and it's good.

Created texture files for the new I27 Base Teleporters with name labels. Basically an extension of 12thPowers pack listed above. Also created a 'Base Teleporter Beacon Labels - Addendum for Issue 27' mod for CoH Modder. Here is a zip file for those who prefer a more hands-on approach. Just extract to data folder within your main City of Heros folder (or Homecoming if you are using the new launcher). It should add 7 new Arcane and 7 new Tech textures to the same folders as the prior Base Teleporter textures.

texture_library.zip

Edited by JAMMan0000
Added new textures for both Arcane & Tech

8 hours ago, Ura Hero said:

Probably not the best way to ask this @The Philotic Knight, but...

How about a version of the mod tool to organize and download Mid's builds?

That would probably be best served as its own tool or have the functionality added to the existing Mids tool. I'm Assuming you're talking about organizing the files it creates?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I wouldn't think the existing tool would work very well with Mids files  as it is.  I was thinking more that the mod tool might be leveraged into a new tool to store, sort and retrieve builds.  Searching the forum is slow and painful.  The Mod tool has done wonders for being able to keep track of and install mods.  The thought just popped into my head so I spoke up.  

Just a note about CoH Modder and the new Homecoming launcher. I changed over to the HC Launcher and wanted to redirect CoH Modder to its home directory C:\Games\Homecoming\.

When I did that Coh Modder gave an error that it could not find the CoH executable. I presume thats a safety check of CoH Modder to verify its pointed at a valid directory. But, when using the HC Launcher, the executables are in different folders. So what I did was create a dummy text file in the C:\Games\Homecoming\ folder and just renamed it to CityofHeroes.exe. That seemed to satisfy CoH Modder. But, thats a pretty ugly workaround. Is there a more appropriate way to do this?

Edited by JAMMan0000

10 minutes ago, JAMMan0000 said:

Just a note about CoH Modder and the new Homecoming launcher. I changed over to the HC Launcher and wanted to redirect CoH Modder to its home directory C:\Games\Homecoming\.

When I did that Coh Modder gave an error that it could not find the CoH executable. I presume thats a safety check of CoH Modder to verify its pointed at a valid directory. But, when using the HC Launcher, the executables are in different folders. So what I did was create a dummy text file in the C:\Games\Homecoming\ folder and just renamed it to CityofHeroes.exe. That seemed to satisfy CoH Modder. But, thats a pretty ugly workaround. Is there a more appropriate way to do this?

You shouldn't have to do that, you must have an old version. Get the newest version, it should work with both the old launcher and the new.

• Thanks 2
I'm out.

New version 1.66 has been uploaded, please get it now. It contains some internal bugfixes, as well as a new important feature - the ability to see when a mod has been updated to a new version by the author. Previously, when you had a mod installed or downloaded, I would automatically remove that mod from the Server Mod list. Now, I'm doing a version check on the mod, and if it's a lower version that's download or installed, the newer version will NOT be removed from the Server Mod list, and the entry on you "Uninstalled Local Mods" or "Installed Mods" list will show with a red background and have a suffix added of "***NEW VERSION AVAILABLE***, as you can see in the screenshot below:

image.png.a8186506e79b55f0aaf6cc02dc8d94d0.png

• Thanks 1
I'm out.

I got that error when I tried to download the updated version of a mod without removing/uninstalling the old version.

I had to first select Remove on the installed version.  After it moved to uninstalled local mods, I had to delete it there.  Then I could install the new version without that error popping up.

Edited by Auranyte
clarify updating mods not the program itself

4 hours ago, Auranyte said:

I got that error when I tried to download the updated version of a mod without removing/uninstalling the old version.

I had to first select Remove on the installed version.  After it moved to uninstalled local mods, I had to delete it there.  Then I could install the new version without that error popping up.

If you get the version that I just uploaded (1.67), this should no longer be an issue.

• Thanks 3
I'm out.

6 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

Eh, I tried to update a couple of the updated mods but while I was still in COH. I'm not 100% how clean the upgrade is as I just copied over the files in my installation.

Don't do that, bad things (not perma bad, but bad) happen.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

16 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

Eh, I tried to update a couple of the updated mods but while I was still in COH. I'm not 100% how clean the upgrade is as I just copied over the files in my installation.

9 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Don't do that, bad things (not perma bad, but bad) happen.

AFAIK, when you start a City client program, it reads the files of any mods, which are all in the "<root>/data/" tree, and if they pass whatever checking it does, they are included in the running memory of that City client until it exits.  The City client doesn't write to those files.

So if you change any files by any method in the "data" tree, you will only see the results of those changes on City clients started after those changes.  It's why it's normal to exit all City clients before changing any of those files, either manually or with a program like Modder.

16 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

I actually expected that and did not plan to see those changes kick in until reboot. They much do something a little different know though, as it crashed COH.

Thinking about it, I'd be very careful with large or numerous files under "<root>/data/", like Vidiot Maps.  They may not all be loaded at the launch of the City client, though the files at that moment may be enumerated.  That means if they change, the City client could have a problem and crash.

At least in my experience, smaller files (under 1MB or so) fewer in number like Popmenus only crash a City client if they have certain syntax errors and the parts of the Popmenu with the errors is accessed.

Rule of thumb: just avoid changing the files under "<root>/data/" while a City client program is running.

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 5:44 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

If you get the version that I just uploaded (1.67), this should no longer be an issue.

Still an issue(?).  Using 1.67 I get an Application Error when I try to update a mod that is already installed. In this case it is VidiotMaps v5.

cohmoderror.jpg

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Auranyte said:

Still an issue(?).  Using 1.67 I get an Application Error when I try to update a mod that is already installed. In this case it is VidiotMaps v5.

cohmoderror.jpg

Could you please send me a copy of the "V4" file that you have so that I can use it for testing? It should be located in your "G:\City of Heroes\Homecoming\mods\installed" folder. Without being able to reproduce the error, I cannot resolve the error.

I'm out.

I -think- I might have fixed the issue.  I noticed that after removing the v4 and installing v5 it was unzipping(?) v5 contents into the backup folder as well.  Since these mods were leftover from the old Tequila install I decided to uninstall all my currently installed mods and found that an older version of the map pack was still installed.  After seeing this I decided to just delete everything in the data folder and reinstall the mods.  After doing this, the v5 does not add any files to the backup folder when installed.

So I think the issue was that there were files from an old version of the map pack before your program came around.  And it was seemingly causing your program to choke when trying to install the new version. So until something else gets updated and I can test again, I'm unable to help you troubleshoot this.  It is my fault for working to solve the problem for myself instead of waiting for your response.  Chalk it up to dealing with program authors for other games that have ignored me when I had issues for whatever reasons they decide.  Nothing against you, just pure habit on my end.