Island Rum for Mac Summer 2020 Beta Cycle

Manga

I have begun a new beta cycle for Island Rum for Mac!

- MAJOR UPDATE: Includes an installer that handles the install of Wine 5.0, so the focus of testing is on whether the Applescript based installer flawlessly handles both new installs and upgrades.  This update will eventually become necessary to support a new patching network.

- It uses Homebrew to install XQuartz and Wine 5.0, and should be able to detect if one or more of those is already installed, and adjust accordingly.

- Leaves behind a copy of the Applescript installer in Applications in case it needs to be launched again for some reason.

- Windows and Linux versions of Island Rum don't have any changes yet, so they are not entering beta.

You can use the release version of Island Rum alongside the Beta, so there's no need to toss out your current version.

If you would like to participate, download the beta from here:  https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac-beta.zip

Post feedback about your experiences to this thread, unless it includes logs or dialogs that contain personal info - you can PM those to me instead.

• Like 1

“Island Rum Beta” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

I tried running the Beta from the /Applications folder, but Apple's security is blocking me. I can get around this by opening System Preferences, going to Security & Privacy -> General and clicking "Open Anyway".

Will test some more after my work shift is over.

So when I start the client, it gives this popup for a few minutes, and then crashes. I've submitted crash logs. Neither my Beta or Release CoH launcher will work until I restart the computer.

Edited by chadius

• 2 weeks later

Hey Manga...long, long time. I finally decided to dip my toes back into COH and figured I may as well give your beta installer a spin. And it worked flawlessly for me on Catalina 10.15.6. Thanks for keeping Mac users in the game. 

There were a few wonky moments when Terminal asked for my Admin password a few times during the wine/homebrew install, but it all worked out. If there was a way to hide the terminal part and just ask for the password that might make it a little less confusing/scary. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and thanks again. 

So I can rule out the launcher; City of Heroes actually tries to run. Unfortunately it then crashes after "Loading" sign but before it opens the window leading to the log in screen.

- I deleted my game install, ran Island Rum and downloaded assets

- Rebooted

- I uninstalled wine (I had an old install lying around)

- I tried on a different login (no "Loading" sign appeared, I never installed wine on there)

- I tried uninstalling xquartz (I had an old install lying around)
- I scanned again, no additional files were downloaded

- I tried HC Beta and HC Staging 64 bit (same behavior)

I'll try the Beta on my other login. If that doesn't work, I have an older mac laptop I don't mind wiping and installing from scratch.

Something's going on with wine. Tried on a new login, got the "The Wine configuration is being updated" message and then the message stayed on for an hour.

I'll try installing this on my older laptop and let it try to update overnight.

I would like to report that the new Island Rum successfully ran (twice--one update and one fresh install) on my ancient machine running High Sierra (which is the latest it can go). I had 2 partitions each with its own start up disk, one with the game and one with work stuff. the assets downloaded a lot faster than I expected, too, less than an hour for a fresh install. No problems whatsoever, smooth sailing all the way. Thank you. 😃 

Okay. Long ago, I had installed wine and xquartz from source. I finally went through my harddrive and deleted all of those files. Now when I run the installer it shows an applescript asking if I want to install xquartz and wine via homebrew. On my older laptop, the installer installed wine and xquartz without my need to delete files.

After installing, both machines asked me to install Mono. I clicked the Install button, waiting for Mono, and I was able to log in and play.

In summary: An old manual install of wine screwed everything up. Thanks for letting me ramble all over this thread lol.

• 4 weeks later

I tried the "default" client this week on two Macs. It seems to have these changes?

It updated XQuartz, Wine, Mono and Gecko stuff, then ran the game.

No problems at all.

Tried on Mojave 10.14.5 and High Sierra 10.13.6

My friends on Linux are also really happy with Island Rum.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png