State of the Project - August 2020

Jimmy

• City Council

Hello everyone! We’ve got a few updates to share with you today.

The Talks
Just over one year ago we announced that we had begun talks with NCSOFT, so it’s about time we provided a little update!

Over the past year we’ve been working closely together to make this work, and have made significant headway in several areas. Unfortunately, Coronavirus has hindered the pace of these discussions somewhat, but we’re still having regular meetings and are slowly but surely moving towards a positive outcome.

Many of the updates we’re talking about today are a result of these ongoing talks. There’s still a ton of work going on behind the scenes to get us to the finish line, and we’d like to thank you all for your continued patience.

TL;DR: Still Soon™, but Soon™er than before.

Homecoming: City of Heroes
We’re going to be changing the name of the project from City of Heroes: Homecoming to Homecoming: City of Heroes. This won’t be an immediate change - you’ll slowly start to see things switch over the next few months - however, the current Homecoming logo will be remaining in place. 

2027700530_new-logo(1).thumb.png.a39bc674e2678a17a1a5925fd063e828.png 757687397_HomecomingIcon.thumb.png.d5a74ad0354486819df3d48f809c9dfb.png

We’ve also set up several social media channels - we’re not actively using these right now, but feel free to follow us for when we do!

Finally, we’ll also be switching over to using homecomingcoh.com domain in the near future (with our short links moving to hccoh.gg). When we make the switch all existing links will continue to function with a redirect, but you will need to refresh your login cookies (ie: you’ll need to log in to the forum again).

New Launcher
Next up, the long awaited new launcher!

Informally dubbed Project Hangover, the new launcher is a big step up from our dependency on Tequila and Island Rum.

It’s designed to be light and fast, and is built with a focus on security. It allows you to selectively install and remove the beta / staging servers (and toggle automatic updates for each), features a built-in server status monitor, and has a much more usable news feed. Finally, the new player experience is much improved as it takes care of installing the necessary runtime, and is compliant with the modern Windows permissions model.

image.thumb.png.bf744694482a9b43c4fe0498eccf1374.png

It works on Windows and Linux out of the box, with the Mac version requiring a simple WINE update - but we have an upgrade procedure mapped out for Mac. For brand new installs it’s already fully functional, we’re currently finishing up functionality to facilitate automatic migration for pre-existing installs.

We’ve recently begun internal testing of the new launcher with the GM team, and hope to roll it out for wider testing in the near future.

Page 6
Finally, we’ll leave you with two screenshots to hint at some upcoming content from Page 6...

screenshot_200807-20-24-39.thumb.jpg.645fce79d8e69c0aae51df6ff1814854.jpg

screenshot_200807-00-07-58.thumb.jpg.23c601d331c89a18aacc013a6adef64d.jpg

And that’s all for today!

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 40
  • Thanks 18

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Retired Developer

FPARN!

Edit: Also, @Jimmy tipped my can of beans and now it's starting to spill!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

I'm just waiting for them to do another rename to City of Homecoming Heroes. I mean, it'd be appropriate, right?

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 minute ago, XoDeMoNoX said:

Very nice! I too would like to be able to stream CoH. Please let us know when we can!

I'm going to assume that's going to be at the end or near the end of the NC talks. But that's just a guess.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• Retired Developer
6 minutes ago, RobotWaifu said:

Undead Freakshow?  Hmm...

Not exactly!

• Like 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

• Retired Developer
4 minutes ago, Oneirohero said:

Are those Rikti boots on that Huge-looking Freakshow?

Good observation!

• Like 1

With all due respect and if I can post this here without anyone bringing pitch forks. But is there anyway you can prove that you have been in talks with NCSoft? It's easy these days to just say "trust us!" while continued request for donations are being taken. It would be the same as holding your palm closed and telling others there's gold inside but you can't show them.. and they can only just trust its there, also known as blind faith that's being ran off the honor system. I hope you can see where I'm coming from without bringing the pitch forks. Like I said before, I can tell you I have five top of the line cars, three houses and a unicorn in the back named Gary.

If what you're saying is true, then that's fantastic news for the community. But it would be nice to see receipts of said conversations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, MrFireBrand said:

With all due respect and if I can post this here without anyone bringing pitch forks. But is there anyway you can prove that you have been in talks with NCSoft? It's easy these days to just say "trust us!" while continued request for donations are being taken. It would be the same as holding your palm closed and telling others there's gold inside but you can't show them.. and they can only just trust its there, also known as blind faith that's being ran off the honor system. I hope you can see where I'm coming from without bringing the pitch forks. Like I said before, I can tell you I have five top of the line cars, three houses and a unicorn in the back named Gary.

If what you're saying is true, then that's fantastic news for the community. But it would be nice to see receipts of said conversations.

The easy answer on this is that they can't show what they haven't finished yet.  They're not claiming to be official or authorized and won't do so until they can legally do so.  The don't ask for funds to play the game.  The only ask for the minimum to run the servers and then stop taking donations.  

This isn't Dragon's Prophet where there was someone running around claiming to be a licensed developer. 

• Like 12