State of the Project - August 2020

Jimmy

• Retired Developer
2 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

It will be disappointing if there is no red side representation in this game.

Highly disappointing.

Read the opening lines of the poem, it makes sense these arcs are all blue. You once stood proud, then turned face and went evil. Also, Glaciers post is entirely correct.

You will need to enter into a conflict wherein you can face the results of your actions from your previous life. Badges and souvenirs. Yes, souvenirs can be read as requirements. 

Sutter (And I patched a fix in for the Duray fight. Harbinger does not speak, or hardly.

Doc Delilah

Talshak

Moonfire

Hess

Stephanie Peebles

Shauna Stockwell

Eagle Eye

Freaklympics. MEAT FREEEEDOM

Synapse 

Positron

Graham Easton, mercifully.

Whatever could you do redside that creates consequences for blueside actions? Hmm...

Also the Posi2 badge will be needed to start the blue arc that feeds in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

32 minutes ago, Piecemeal said:

Harbinger does not speak, or hardly.

She was who I was trying to figure out when I tried the TF. But she says something (telepathically?) when you enter the fight.

Harbinger: Our uninvited guests have arrived.

Harbinger: I will give them a warm welcome.

I'm pretty excited to see what this turns out to be!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Piecemeal said:

Read the opening lines of the poem, it makes sense these arcs are all blue. You once stood proud, then turned face and went evil. Also, Glaciers post is entirely correct.

You will need to enter into a conflict wherein you can face the results of your actions from your previous life. Badges and souvenirs. Yes, souvenirs can be read as requirements. 

Sutter (And I patched a fix in for the Duray fight. Harbinger does not speak, or hardly.

Doc Delilah

Talshak

Moonfire

Hess

Stephanie Peebles

Shauna Stockwell

Eagle Eye

Freaklympics. MEAT FREEEEDOM

Synapse 

Positron

Graham Easton, mercifully.

Whatever could you do redside that creates consequences for blueside actions? Hmm...

Also the Posi2 badge will be needed to start the blue arc that feeds in.

Last update with completed info for the story arcs and enemies counting towards the badge:

These five are found in the Admiral Sutter Task Force(Badge: Land, Sea, & Air / The Sky is Falling):
1.      Primal Col. Duray (thanks @Grouchybeast) as “Pirate”
2.      Praetorian Col. Duray (thanks @Grouchybeast) as “Commander”
3.      Harbinger (thanks @Piecemeal for the final clue/answer) as “Mute”
4.      Jane Temblor (thanks @Grouchybeast) as “Lovebird 1” 
5.      Fusion (thanks @Grouchybeast) as “Lovebird 2”

The next three are found in Striga Island
6.      Archon Burkholder from Ernesto Hess Task Force as “the bane of caldera” (Badge: Burkholder's Bane)
7.      Heracles (thanks to @Grouchybeast) from Stephanie Peebles story arc "Ring of Peebles" as “humble the son of Alcmene”
8.      Arakhn from Moonfire TF as “the cyst-maker” (Badge: Honorary Peacebringer)

Steel Canyon Story Arc
9.      Sun Xiong (@Lines) from Graham Easton's story arc "Last Rites" as “art thief”

Faultline Story Arc from Jim Temblor "Rumblings of the Past" introduced via Doc Delilah contact:
10.    Night Widow Nocturne (thanks @Ironblade) as “the widow whose sub is a goner”
11.    Kurse (thanks @LQT) as “deranged little psychic”

Kings Row Story Arc from Eagle Eye "Lords of Death"
12.    Chernobog Petrovic (thanks to @Grouchybeast) as “Lord of Death 1” 
13.    Veles Petrovic (thanks to @Grouchybeast) as “Lord of Death 2”

Hollows Story Arc from Talshak the Mystic "Heart of the Hollows"
14.    Atta (@Lines) as “met on your trek to the gate”

Synapse Task Force (Badge: Synapse Cohort/Betrayer)
15.    Clockwork King from Synapse TF as “went to court and toppled the monarchy”

Positron Task Force Part Two (Badge: Dam Hero, with prerequisite of Rule of Three Badge)
16.    Dr. Vahzilok as “de-tenured Ph.D.”

Story Arc from Marvin Weintraub (Talos Island) or Collin Larson (IP) "Freaklympics"

17.    Freaklympics Gold Medal Souvenir (@FoulVileTerror great guess!) as the "honor of gold medal fame"

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 8/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, Jimmy said:

New Launcher
Next up, the long awaited new launcher!

Informally dubbed Project Hangover, the new launcher is a big step up from our dependency on Tequila and Island Rum.

It’s designed to be light and fast, and is built with a focus on security. It allows you to selectively install and remove the beta / staging servers (and toggle automatic updates for each), features a built-in server status monitor, and has a much more usable news feed. Finally, the new player experience is much improved as it takes care of installing the necessary runtime, and is compliant with the modern Windows permissions model.

image.thumb.png.bf744694482a9b43c4fe0498eccf1374.png

It works on Windows and Linux out of the box, with the Mac version requiring a simple WINE update - but we have an upgrade procedure mapped out for Mac. For brand new installs it’s already fully functional, we’re currently finishing up functionality to facilitate automatic migration for pre-existing installs.

We’ve recently begun internal testing of the new launcher with the GM team, and hope to roll it out for wider testing in the near future.

I'm going to be in  the column that my tequila and coh works just fine and this unnerves me.

Big question i haven't seen asked yet, will we still be able to run two instances at a time with this new launcher? And can we still use the old launcher if we want to?

• City Council
1 minute ago, WindDemon21 said:

Big question i haven't seen asked yet, will we still be able to run two instances at a time with this new launcher?

Yes indeed.

launcher3.png.c93e2fdb30d8c8424cde88d39f1d02b5.png

4 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

And can we still use the old launcher if we want to?

For a while. We'll certainly be encouraging people to move to the new one as it's much, much more secure against potential man-in-the-middle or other hijacking attacks than any of the others out there, but we'll keep updating the old manifests to give people plenty of time to try it out.

We may eventually drop support for the old updaters down the road, but not soon. There's also nothing preventing someone from continuing to produce manifests on an unofficial basis, but it would be up to anyone using those to trust whoever is putting them together and accept the risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Moving City of Hero's to the top is big for sure.  

As for the rest..

It is too cryptic for me to follow.. I am understanding some badges and some New TF that has requirements to unlock. 

"To change the install location, ensure that the launcher and any related applications are closed, then simply move the entire folder."

Interesting method, @Number Six.  Will that remain the way it operates in the future, or will you be providing a more user-friendly alternative before the Release version?

I mean, I do wish for more people to learn how to navigate their computers' file folder architecture, but having been a troubleshooter for many players trying to install Mods for the game . . . I can see this being a big barrier for a lot of them.

• City Council
1 hour ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Interesting method, @Number Six.  Will that remain the way it operates in the future, or will you be providing a more user-friendly alternative before the Release version?

I mean, I do wish for more people to learn how to navigate their computers' file folder architecture, but having been a troubleshooter for many players trying to install Mods for the game . . . I can see this being a big barrier for a lot of them.

The installer lets you pick a location like any standard installer.

That message is there to let you know that it's portable, for if you want to move it after it's installed. The "normal" way of doing that for Windows software is... uh... don't. Or uninstall and reinstall the whole thing somewhere else.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

Radio brainwashes you into planting the Outbreak virus, beating up Snow Maiden on the way. That could definitely kick you in the nads in a redemption arc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FriezaReturns00001 said:

Nothing as those will continue to exist thus form their own player bases since they aren't really NCsoft properties anyway right now. My issue with this COX player base is they are with the illusion that other games can't exist inside said eco-system; they can. I believe that is the way Avaast from OverWatch quoted himself. Frankly this game is dated and I welcome anyone else to try and bring something like this that runs on modern computers since 98% of people in this comment section don't even have anything of the last year or even the last 6 months for hardware(the future is now i guess) but for now, I guess play this?

Those are some pretty broad sweeping statements or generalizations, but your opinion nonetheless. Welcome to the community!

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

49 minutes ago, FriezaReturns00001 said:

Nothing as those will continue to exist thus form their own player bases since they aren't really NCsoft properties anyway right now. My issue with this COX player base is they are with the illusion that other games can't exist inside said eco-system; they can. I believe that is the way Avaast from OverWatch quoted himself. Frankly this game is dated and I welcome anyone else to try and bring something like this that runs on modern computers since 98% of people in this comment section don't even have anything of the last year or even the last 6 months for hardware(the future is now i guess) but for now, I guess play this?

My main computer is only ten months old.  City of Heroes is the only multiplayer game I play because I can’t stand the medieval fantasy genre nor PvP, DC Universe Online is a bad console port, Champions Online looks terrible with limited content, and the only two PvE science-fiction MMOGs have terrible monetization.

Frankly, the MMOG gaming genre is dead.  Everything multiplayer now is PvP or extremely limited co-op.  No thank you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

My main computer is only ten months old.  City of Heroes is the only multiplayer game I play because I can’t stand the medieval fantasy genre nor PvP, DC Universe Online is a bad console port, Champions Online looks terrible with limited content, and the only two PvE science-fiction MMOGs have terrible monetization.

Frankly, the MMOG gaming genre is dead.  Everything multiplayer now is PvP or extremely limited co-op.  No thank you.

@Apparition Totally agree. I play this game at maxed visual settings at 1440p/144hz, but it's not super taxing (unless I jump in to a Hami raid lol) - I tend to overclock my hardware when I play other games though, to keep the frame rate high. The fact that this game can run on really old systems and hardware is a benefit in my opinion - keeps the door open for anyone to be able to play it without high specification requirements.

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

Agree pretty much with all of this. 

Loved this game way back when it was still active and hated the slide towards pay to win model and when you did pay for an update (Going Rogue) it was a trickle in addition to endgame content and there was always the potential of the game closing before we got to enjoy the planned features.  But hey we got a beautifully crafted new 1-20 zone that almost no one ports into today because you're locked out from joining anyone until your able to buy alcohol, kinda like going to Vegas with your parents.

There's just so much you can do in this game, no one is locked into any one playstyle, however you feel like playing is available to you pretty much. 

I do wish the PVP here was a bit easier to understand from a new persons perspective.  Powers don't act like they are supposed to between pvp as opposed to how you're used to them working in pve, which isn't all bad, but the old devs never really understood pvp and were fumbling with it the whole time.  PvP and AE have the possibility for limitless endgame content they just never could get ironed out.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Apparition said:

im having a blast with SWTOR despite hating it years ago. Sure, I had to fugging sub(or buy) hotbars, but still having a blast at max level. Who knew... and after their last expansion thing,

it’s actually extremely populated. Surprised me.

i am hoping they keep the old coh logo and somehow 'stick the homecoming in there'....just.... not ....like ...that.

BUT GOOD TRY!

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

6 hours ago, Stan The Man said:

So, if you do change the logo, it could look something like this?

Homecoming City of Heroes.png

I sure hope not!

• Haha 3

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

Exciting news on the negotiations! Amazing.

I love the new name change, seems super pedantic, I love that. How about

CityHome: Coming of Heroes?

Coming City: Home Of Heroes  ?

I'm looking forward to the new costume parts. Great work everybody.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, MrFireBrand said:

Now that's true! I have one for the game I'm building so that part I get.

Uh, oh! You've pooched it now!

(But I'll never tell!)

Linux support is very welcome! That bodes well for other parts of the tech: It is a sign of general fitness for purpose.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 8/17/2020 at 7:02 PM, Lines said:

She was who I was trying to figure out when I tried the TF. But she says something (telepathically?) when you enter the fight.

Harbinger: Our uninvited guests have arrived.

Harbinger: I will give them a warm welcome.

I'm pretty excited to see what this turns out to be!

Yeah as an option for a "mute" Harbinger really doesn't work which was why nobody was ever going to get that as the correct option. She just fell in with the rest of the other Sutter AVs, bar Riptide the fish who seems to have been skipped.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, Piecemeal said:

Lowbie wise; Mortimer Kal and the [Fire and the] Flames of Prometheus.

Otherwise: Barracuda SF as it's the reds that actually release Reichsman in the first place.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.