State of the Project - August 2020

Jimmy

5 hours ago, Patti said:

That font is a bit too comic booky Stan.  Looks like something for champions online or freedom force.   Maybe try a slightly less comedic font?

It was just something I threw together in a few minutes.  It would take me hours to not just find the right fonts that matched the current logo but also to render it correctly.  If you stare at it closely, you'll see the 3d effect is poorly overlayed over the Homecoming part of the logo.   That's because the program I use could bevel the font, shape it, and make it 3d, just not all to the same object.  So I cheated a little to accomplish something I would call, at best, a sketch; and at worst, a joke.

And hey, it is a comic book MMORPG.  😉 

But, no, I like the original CoH logo best.

• Like 3

Face front, true believers!

35 minutes ago, Stan The Man said:

If you stare at it closely, you'll see the 3d effect is poorly overlayed over the Homecoming part of the logo. 

I didn't know how proud you were of this, so I didn't want to say anything. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, csr said:

Without an NDA there would be no talks at all, let alone any progress.

I take that back... there would be talk.  It would be NCSoft lawyers writing increasingly threatening cease-and-desist letters to everyone involved.

Have you ever watched the Monty Python short "how not to be seen?"

17 hours ago, Herotu said:

Exciting news on the negotiations! Amazing.

I love the new name change, seems super pedantic, I love that. How about

CityHome: Coming of Heroes?

Coming City: Home Of Heroes  ?

I'm looking forward to the new costume parts. Great work everybody.

Home Of Heroes: And Villains

18 hours ago, Stan The Man said:

It was just something I threw together in a few minutes.  It would take me hours to not just find the right fonts that matched the current logo but also to render it correctly.  If you stare at it closely, you'll see the 3d effect is poorly overlayed over the Homecoming part of the logo.   That's because the program I use could bevel the font, shape it, and make it 3d, just not all to the same object.  So I cheated a little to accomplish something I would call, at best, a sketch; and at worst, a joke.

And hey, it is a comic book MMORPG.  😉 

But, no, I like the original CoH logo best.

You gotta steal Homecoming banners from schools, okay.

HC.jpg.68c889d74db3cc6e668b21488f9f2b72.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kiramon said:

You gotta steal Homecoming banners from schools, okay.

HC.jpg.68c889d74db3cc6e668b21488f9f2b72.jpg

When is the deadline for still getting 30 percent off on the yearbook?

Edited by Rejolt
  • Haha 1

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

3 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Sadly more folks want to be heroes than villains. Even in DCUO the hero pop was larger than the Villain pop by 2 to 1 (and at one point 3 to 1).

True. Given that reality, I am okay with Redside being what it is, an additional area of the game to explore, but not a whole separate game in itself.

• Like 2

I may be late to the party but I would like to defend Redside. 

While Blueside has nicer weather and more nostalgia, Redside has far better zone design, better music, better story arcs with better writing, streamlined progression from one zone to the next, and way more interesting enemy groups to fight that never show up Blueside. 

The extra development time really does show itself on the Redside and its clear that many of CoHs weaknesses were addressed over there. 

I'm also of the opinion that the Redside ATs are more mechanically interesting than their Blueside counterparts, although that doesn't really matter anymore since you can make any AT anywhere. While Going Rogue was overall a good thing for the game I believe it hit the Redside population particularly hard.

If I was going to make a no-PL "play the content as intended" kind of character I would absolutely play on Redside. It's just so much more interesting and streamlined for that experience. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

So you are all bending over backwards to kiss NCsofts ass again, You would think that you would have learned by now that they are not to be trusted for Any reason, How about some new Power sets like wind power / Growth Power / do away with the argo cap.or boost the cap for tankers and Brutes, an don't say it can't be done that's BS, If We Have Cake and Destiny server can do it you can, Think it's 15 now move it to 30. an how about a Grav/mental combo. An bring back the Double Influance for us 50's

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Power Extreme said:

So you are all bending over backwards to kiss NCsofts ass again, You would think that you would have learned by now that they are not to be trusted for Any reason, How about some new Power sets like wind power / Growth Power / do away with the argo cap.or boost the cap for tankers and Brutes, an don't say it can't be done that's BS, If We Have Cake and Destiny server can do it you can, Think it's 15 now move it to 30. an how about a Grav/mental combo. An bring back the Double Influance for us 50's

"argo cap"? Is that the doors on the deck of a trireme? Do we really need to double the amount of doors on those boats in Cimeroa?

Or are they the hats that sailors on the Argo wear? What's the point of giving them a second hat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Death is the best debuff.

3 hours ago, Errants said:

"argo cap"? Is that the doors on the deck of a trireme? Do we really need to double the amount of doors on those boats in Cimeroa?

Or are they the hats that sailors on the Argo wear? What's the point of giving them a second hat?

Jason could only taunt so many heroes onto the boat.

It was some pretty impressive kiting though.

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Power Extreme said:

do away with the argo cap.or boost the cap for tankers and Brutes, an don't say it can't be done that's BS, If We Have Cake and Destiny server can do it you can, Think it's 15 now move it to 30 ... An bring back the Double Influance for us 50's

A lack of aggro cap didn't make for a particularly good game, and double influence didn't make for a particularly good economy.

Players wanting something isn't a good enough reason to do it.

(Edit: Tangent: It seems really hard to multiquote when you're trying to edit a post. It puts the quote into a new reply when I press the little +. Is there a trick to doing that? Double posting makes me feel dirty.)

Edited by Lines
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Retired Developer
7 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I don't think anyone really disagrees with any of that, @Neogumbercules, people simply don't as often want to play "bad guys".

I want to make you guys fall in love again with red side. Its personality is more in line with my own. When my current project is done I have a bang-up write-up for a massive plot-progressing arc that I'm writing in tandem with another, which will be quite fun and tie in some more lore. I also hope to continue challenging convention and surprising players. Current feedback is positive, but I look forward to the majority playerbase to test when it's ready.

6 hours ago, Number Six said:

Quite ironic considering the nature of what @Piecemeal is hinting at.

It is one small step for man, one giant step for cyborgs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

When the Lore starts rolling again the story progresses.... I want to know what is going on with the Red Widow.  Is she still enthralled with Lord Recluse or is she plotting.

• Like 2

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

7 hours ago, Neogumbercules said:

I may be late to the party but I would like to defend Redside. 

While Blueside has nicer weather and more nostalgia, Redside has far better zone design, better music, better story arcs with better writing, streamlined progression from one zone to the next, and way more interesting enemy groups to fight that never show up Blueside. 

The extra development time really does show itself on the Redside and its clear that many of CoHs weaknesses were addressed over there. 

I'm also of the opinion that the Redside ATs are more mechanically interesting than their Blueside counterparts, although that doesn't really matter anymore since you can make any AT anywhere. While Going Rogue was overall a good thing for the game I believe it hit the Redside population particularly hard.

If I was going to make a no-PL "play the content as intended" kind of character I would absolutely play on Redside. It's just so much more interesting and streamlined for that experience. 

True true. 

I've always preferred red, since it was released - including their ATs over Blue. There isn't a single AT blue side that I prefer over its red counterpart. Red side ATs were also designed with inherents in mind, whereas blue were given them after the fact to balance with red, which is why I think red's are more interesting.

But yeah, DCUO still has a huge disparity between hero/villain, to the point where any "new" hero/villain game should probably avoid splitting the factions, because villain will always be dead in this genre. It's not like Horde vs Alliance, for sure.