Jimmy

State of the Project - August 2020

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2020 at 7:28 AM, parabola said:

This is the most irritating thing in high level play. Drives me absolutely nuts. To be fair to brutes though it isn't just they who are guilty of this. I think it has a lot to do with people playing any AT building almost exclusively for aoe performance and then finding they lack the ability to down bosses in a satisfying manner. Ironically the best teammate at high levels could be a single target focused stalker who is prepared to do the hard yards against the +4 bosses.

What really grinds my gears is when people are so stuck in the 'all aoe, all the time' mindset that they can't vary their play when required. Fighting +4 nemesis bosses is hard enough without stacking vengeance multiple times on them because some idiot couldn't resist burning the rest of the spawn to the ground.

I wish I could "Like" this twice... or thrice.

[Edit]:

Maybe Nemmy Vengeance should put massive aggro for all affected onto the one who defeated the Lt.

Edited by csr
Added comment
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

(Snip) 

Wow, I need to read which page I’m on better. 

Removed my wall of text. Wouldn’t mind a permanent Flames of Prometheus being the specific reason to run the original 4 red side SFs

Edited by Rejolt

This all sounds pretty exciting.

One request from a security paranoid Mac user.  Could you test the new launcher to make sure it works on an account that doesn't have admin rights?  It took me a while to get Island Rum working that way, and I have a sneaking supicion that any upgrade process for the new launcher is likely to freak out, run into a corner, and cry if it doesn't have full admin access to everything.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2020 at 6:47 AM, Wavicle said:

This is from paragonwiki

Paragonwiki is years out of date as well as flat out wrong in places from before the game even shutdown. For example it doesn't include info from later dialogue options from Prometheus regarding Ascension.

Additionally those paragraphs are all pre-play descriptions/advertisements of what the factions are meant to be like.

The actual content of the factions vaguely aligns with those brief bios but very often there are actual events that occur which you would expect to be from the opposite side of the alignment division

Crusaders repeatedly bomb civilian targets. This isn't in the brochure for obvious reasons. These aren't Cole aligned civilians but quite literally just random residents of Imperial City and Nova Praetoria that have nothing to do with either the Administration or the Resistance. Nova Praetoria has attempts to bomb a hospital. Imperial City has attempts to bomb most of the island underground in addition to setting off a Neutron bomb on Nova Praetoria that would kill every single living thing there.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, Patti said:

The wiki is also unofficial so hgrain of salt and all that.

Also years out of date and wrong in places even when the game was live.

There is at least a new fork where users are attempting to update and fix various mistakes including those that existed on live/PW, [Look up Reactive Def 2 set bonuses for such an example. Beta/test notes were a DEF bonus which was never updated on PW after the live released ended up going with a RES bonus instead].

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, Jimmy said:

This was discussed quite a bit a few months ago. This covers it a bit too.

I'm not sure you've got the right picture of what's going on here. This isn't a big, organised development team - not yet anyway. It's a few crazy people doing stuff in their few spare hours, trying to make the most of very limited time and resources. Need to set your expectations accordingly.

Its time to go out and start abducting developers....oops scratch that recruiting developers to join the cult of homecoming and work day and night on only one yougurt a day!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ivanhedgehog said:

...on only one yougurt a day!!!!

Hang on, we're meant to get yogurt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

This yoghurt is delicious. Oops, sorry Jimmy was this one yours?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Lone Starr: Who hasn't heard of Yogurt!

Princess Vespa: Yogurt the Wise!

Dot Matrix: Yogurt the All-Powerful!

Barf: Yogurt the Magnificent!

Yogurt: Please, please, don't make a fuss. I'm just plain Yogurt.

Edited by Tacheyon
Formatting
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BlastLord said:

Homecoming has got this

thisthisthis.png

• Haha 4

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

On 9/11/2020 at 11:12 PM, Hops said:

We getting a poison update as well? 

Why would you think that? Was it mentioned?

Poison seems very far down the list of things needing help imo.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:12 PM, Hops said:

We getting a poison update as well? 

Unlikely. The primary and splash debuffs from poison stack, meaning it has some of the strongest debuffs available. It’sa little rough solo, but that’s true of many buff sets.

1 hour ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Doesn't hurt to ask. You never know

Sonic Resonance and Force Field ought to top the list, but really we have little to no idea what’s coming next.

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

Sonic Resonance and Force Field ought to top the list, but really we have little to no idea what’s coming next.

Yeah, IMO the only support sets in need of buffs are Force Field, then Sonic Resonance, then perhaps Trick Arrow (and by then only slightly really). But that’s only support sets. Assault Rifle is probably the worst set in the game overall IMO.

19 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Yeah, IMO the only support sets in need of buffs are Force Field, then Sonic Resonance, then perhaps Trick Arrow (and by then only slightly really). But that’s only support sets. Assault Rifle is probably the worst set in the game overall IMO.

I sort of thought Dual Pistols and Dual Blades needed more help than AR, but sure.

2 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Poison definitely needs help. A big part is one to let us slot holds into NB, increase the radius of it's debuffs, and change the tier 9 to not be a pbaoe toggle which is horrible on a set with no self defenses or mez protection, and instead a ranged location based power.

2 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Poison definitely needs help. A big part is one to let us slot holds into NB, increase the radius of it's debuffs, and change the tier 9 to not be a pbaoe toggle which is horrible on a set with no self defenses or mez protection, and instead a ranged location based power.

I have 5 level 50 poisons and respectfully disagree 🙂

Not sure why NB would be slottable with hold. The low splash radius on poison is to balance the powers for having the best overall debuff power in the game. The PBAoE toggle is a self defense itself.

43 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I sort of thought Dual Pistols and Dual Blades needed more help than AR, but sure.

DB looks pretty meh to me. Between animation times and proc potential, though, I’m pretty sure pistols are miles ahead of AR, imo.

6 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

DB looks pretty meh to me. Between animation times and proc potential, though, I’m pretty sure pistols are miles ahead of AR, imo.

Maybe competitive on aoe, but with no sniper attack I don’t see how it could keep up on single target.

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

Maybe competitive on aoe, but with no sniper attack I don’t see how it could keep up on single target.

Sure but now we’re just talking about water blast 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

Sure but now we’re just talking about water blast 😉

Exactly.

I've given this a lot of thought. The blast sets without Snipes are: Ice, Sonic, Water, and DP.

Ice does great damage with no Snipe and has a ton of control.

Sonic does ok damage and has great debuffs.

Water is specifically designed to work fine with no Snipe.

DP...does not get enough out of Swap Ammo to make up for the lack of a Snipe and Aim.

I feel like the Sniper changes addressed ARs weakness sufficiently, but of course YMMV.

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

Exactly.

I've given this a lot of thought. The blast sets without Snipes are: Ice, Sonic, Water, and DP.

Ice does great damage with no Snipe and has a ton of control.

Sonic does ok damage and has great debuffs.

Water is specifically designed to work fine with no Snipe.

DP...does not get enough out of Swap Ammo to make up for the lack of a Snipe and Aim.

I feel like the Sniper changes addressed ARs weakness sufficiently, but of course YMMV.

I would still encourage you to look at making up some of the difference with procs. DP has some of the best proc potential in the game thanks to swap ammo. You can turn the stun/hold into a proc bomb for an extra high damage S/T attack. 

It’s nice of AR to have a snipe but T7/8/9 all having 3-4 second animations and situational cone arcs/patches just kinda ruins everything after that.