State of the Project - August 2020

Jimmy

2 hours ago, Nanolathe said:

More Non-targeted Cones... or Vectored Knockback?

I do remember someone somewhere saying they were testing vectored Knockback in some kind of Easter egg thing they did with brawl. 

I'm hoping for powers that pull enemies to a targeted location come to be. 

15 hours ago, GetRidOfWires said:

Great to hear! I'm very excited that Mac users aren't being left out!

Well.  That's good news that Mac users will get the launcher.

However, some of the finer advanced graphical fx don't seem to show up in Mac CoH due to an older (4.1?) version of Open GL.

So it looks very 'flat' compared to the Windows versions.  (Unless I'm missing something.  No advanced lighting/shadows/occlusion etc.  No 'Ultra' mode...  It's not a deal breaker as I can run my new iMac in Bootcamp for Windows version of CoH.  But a properly graphically nuanced version would be nice for Mac users.  There is an installed base of around 100 million Intel Mac users now.  And?  Note that, soon, Apple will be moving to it's own Apple Silicon with the Metal api.)

Any chance the Home Coming team are going to support Apple's Metal API at some point so both Intel and Apple Silicon Mac users can get a version of CoH that looks as least as 'modern' as the PC version of CoH?

Regards,

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

I don't know if I can ask this without sounding like a spoiled brat, but I'll try. 

The first thing I read in the original post of this thread spoke of the discussions with NCSoft...but then proceeded to not say anything about the discussions with NCSoft. 

Is there a time line? Are you seeking an operator's license or IP rights?  Or just a "leave us alone and we'll stop sending you capes" kind of deal? Or something else entirely? 

• City Council
52 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

I play CoH on a Mac still running 10.10, mainly because I hate the Wine client (for reasons I've stated multiple times but which always get brushed off or ignored).  Will the manifest still work with old launchers?  Or is this the end for me and CoH?  (Unless one of you wants to pay for a brand-new Windows laptop I could play it on)

In theory the new launcher should be able run under the old Cider client (which we can't officially support due to it being paid software that Paragon had licensed), though it may take a bit of finagling to point it at the right executable. It's intentionally built with a very similar environment as the game itself, so if whatever compatibility layer you're using can run the game, it should be able to run the launcher.

There should be plenty of time to figure that out. We plan to maintain the old manifests for some time even after the new launcher is available. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect everyone to migrate quickly. What we may drop manifest support for is the beta (Brainstorm/Aeon) and staging (Shadow/Reflection) clients, but not the live one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mechahamham said:

I haven't read the HC NDA, obviously, but a lot of NDAs forbid you from even disclosing that you are under NDA.

Precisely my point.

• Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

40 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I don't know if I can ask this without sounding like a spoiled brat, but I'll try. 

The first thing I read in the original post of this thread spoke of the discussions with NCSoft...but then proceeded to not say anything about the discussions with NCSoft. 

Is there a time line? Are you seeking an operator's license or IP rights?  Or just a "leave us alone and we'll stop sending you capes" kind of deal? Or something else entirely? 

NDA means "Non-Disclosure Agreement", which means...

Spoiler

You cannot disclose anything about anything, even the NDA itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

49 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Unfortunately, that's the kind of thing they can't talk about. Corporations tend to insist on keeping that kind of stuff close to the chest—and for excellent reason. No matter what the terms are they're discussing, odds are good that they wouldn't be acceptable to everybody. (I mean, hell, just look at what happens every time they do something as trivial as rebalancing an AT or power set. The arguments rage for weeks!) That would cause controversies and uproars that would distract from the discussion itself. Those people I mentioned in an earlier post who will find any reason they can to hate Homecoming would have a field day.

Reading between the lines (as of course I'm not privy to the discussions myself), it looks like NCSoft has asked for some administrative stuff relating to the use of trademarks, and Homecoming is cheerfully complying. Which seems to bode well for the discussions; NCSoft asked nicely rather than filing C&Ds and stuff, and Homecoming is showing its willingness to be reasonable by making the changes. Hopefully this will lead to more progress in the talks and better things down the line.

• Like 2

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

1 hour ago, Aberrant said:

Afraid it's not new, it's just the Tech Knight belt piece which has an optional butt cape. 

Still holding out for the BP/Cimerora loincloths. Have a BP/DA npc costume for RP reasons on a couple of toons and the only things missing are the correct cape options [although the scarf works well enough if monochrome], and the loincloth on both the front and back. Also the missing IDF armour, but that's a separate request.

16 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

Not exactly!

Vahz/Freak team up using Rikti tech to counter the growing issue of Incarnates in a similar vein to how Malta teamed up with Battle Maiden for NANITES, SON! nanite upgrades from her halberd?

11 hours ago, GM Brax said:

Good things come to those who wait. 😎

Tell that to Mender Derek when he needs to find pizza!

• Like 1

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

• Game Master
5 minutes ago, csr said:

That's great.  On a loosely related matter:  Has anything been done to resolve Windows 7's queuing issue with the character list?

The Launcher has little effect on the operation of the client itself once updates finish.  The game client... quirks, bugs and all... is going to be the same experience after the new Launcher is released.

Edited by GM Tahquitz

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Just now, GM Tahquitz said:

The Launcher has little effect on the client itself.  The game client... quirks, bugs and all... is going to be the same experience after the new Launcher is released.

That's why I said "loosely" related.  Seeing the backwards compatibility of the launcher made me once again wish that Win 7 client bug was getting some attention.

• Retired Developer

Please remember this is my virgin flight.

I created conditions to spawn a fight.

It requires attention to lore and collecting 

So you can be rewarded with a vigilant reckoning. 

Don't hype too hard, instead think of the future,

When records of your deeds affect the gameplay nature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

22 minutes ago, Piecemeal said:

You're not good at this rhyme thing are you 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Piecemeal said:

Okay so what I am imagining from all the rhymed hints is a new system that tracks badges? Probably way off. I love playing crossword and doing word searches, but I am not grasping the rhyming hints very well. It's exciting though! Thank you for the teasing, hopefully I can narrow it down from everything you have posted so far.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

29 minutes ago, kiramon said:

You're not good at this rhyme thing are you 

Not using perfect rhymes does not mean you're not still rhyming. There are perfect rhymes, soft rhymes, mixed rhymes, consonance rhymes, assonance rhymes, and maybe others I forget. I'm not an expert in it, so folks correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most of that rhyming falls into the soft rhyme category.

• Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn