State of the Project - August 2020

Jimmy

• City Council
1 minute ago, Keovar said:

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Speaking solely for myself, I'm kind of sad it took two days for someone to notice that.

• Sad 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Page 8! Updated list after others have chimed in with great info. I bolded the enemies I am confident fit the hint.

First five are mentioned as a squad (big kudos to @TraumaTrain for the first three):
1.    Maybe ?? Dr. Hyperbaric from Sgt. Schorr story arc in St. Martial as “Pirate”
2.    Maybe ?? Rising Vengeance from Sgt. Schorr story arc in St. Martial as “Commander”
3.    Maybe ?? Steve "Mute" Mutombo from Sgt. Schorr story arc in St. Martial as “Mute”
4.    Maybe ?? Jane Temblor from Admiral Sutter TF as “Lovebird 1” 
5.    Maybe ?? Fusion from Admiral Sutter TF as “Lovebird 2”

Next ones are on isle of yore (Striga Island):
6.    Archon Burkholder from Ernesto Hess TF as “the bane of caldera”
7.    Heracles (thanks to @Grouchybeast) from Stephanie Peebles story arc as “the humbler of the son of Hera  humble the son of Alcmene”
8.    Arakhn from Moonfire TF as “the cyst-maker”

Next part mentions getting mean, perhaps changing alignment to villain for these:
9.      ??? as “art thief”
10.    Night Widow Nocturne (thanks @Ironblade) from either Jim Temblor's or Agent G's story arc as “the widow whose sub is a goner”. Doc Deliah from Faultline as “the Doctor” who introduces you to Agent G, whose final missions you fight Nocturne.
11.    Kurse (thanks @LQT) from Jim Temblor's story arc as “deranged little psychic”
12.    Chernobog Petrovic (thanks to @Grouchybeast) from Eagle Eye story arc in Kings Row as “Lord of Death 1” 
13.    Veles Petrovic (thanks to @Grouchybeast) from Eagle Eye story arc in Kings Rowas “Lord of Death 2”
14.    Atta (@Lines) as “met on your trek to the gate”
15.    Clockwork King from Synapse TF as “went to court and toppled the monarchy”
16.    Dr. Vahzilok as “de-tenured Ph.D.”

The final hint: 

Finally, find Freedom at the annual game,
And claim the honor of gold medal fame.

17.    Freaklympics story arc (@FoulVileTerror great guess!) as the "honor of gold medal fame".

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• Retired Developer

@Glacier Peakthree bolds are incorrect.

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

1 hour ago, GM Widower said:

Speaking solely for myself, I'm kind of sad it took two days for someone to notice that.

Will the next iteration be Project Black Coffee?

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

14.    ??? as “met on your trek to the gate”

Maybe Eastgate/Hollows and the gateway in the Cavern of Transcendence. The verse relation to the lords of death could be Atta, who was dealing with them.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

• Retired Developer

I'm really surprised nobody's in the ballpark on number 17.

The ski chalet guess had me rolling, in a good way. Never thought that was a conclusion anyone would jump to. But solid reasoning for it, I almost panicked at the idea of people skiing for hours trying to lock in those golds.

I suppose I'll have to think of another hint soon.

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

On 8/13/2020 at 7:52 PM, Patti said:

I would hope something as large as a reputation system wouldn't get developed in a bubble.

I think the developers learnt a lesson from the last time they tried to develop "outside" a bubble, and involved the forum community. I fully expect to get nothing but cryptic hints to even major features or gameplay overhauls from now on.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The final hint: 

Finally, find Freedom at the annual game,
And claim the honor of gold medal fame.

17.    Freedom Phalanx related... hmm maybe defeating a Freedom Phalanx member

Best I got is either something to do with Freedom Plaza in Kings Row or the Freedom badge on top of City Hall. Maybe even Freedom Court in Galaxy City. Can't think of an enemy who relates to either and to contests (presumably).

Can't think of anyone other than Sun Xiong for the art thief.

Edited by Lines

6 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

I'm really surprised nobody's in the ballpark on number 17.

The ski chalet guess had me rolling, in a good way. Never thought that was a conclusion anyone would jump to. But solid reasoning for it, I almost panicked at the idea of people skiing for hours trying to lock in those golds.

I suppose I'll have to think of another hint soon.

Hmmm... You also said it is not an accolade.

I'm thinking an annual screenshot scavenger hunt with the winner(s) getting a gold title.

4 hours ago, Nanolathe said:

I think the developers learnt a lesson from the last time they tried to develop "outside" a bubble, and involved the forum community. I fully expect to get nothing but cryptic hints to even major features or gameplay overhauls from now on.

I've heard from a friend that things like a re-haul of Fire Melee and Energy Melee for Tankers has been tested and been scrapped while we aren't even aware. I understand it after the last brouhaha, but I miss seeing the changes and the evolution of things instead of the solid wall of silence we got since before Covid that made people (me included) simply assume the project had died.

• Like 1

• Retired Developer

I'll be honest, I just feel like my hint for 17 isn't beefy enough.

• Like 1

• Retired Developer

You guys have been good. Here's a tangentially related screenshot of a new contact mixed up in all this.

whyamisoevil.jpg

On 8/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, Ashlaylay said:

They'll tell you what they can, when they can so long as it doesn't jeopardize what they are working towards. NCSoft hasn't shut us down, so obviously they are talking and being cool about these servers.

The name change, moving 'Homecoming' to the front of the name, does imply a degree of progress; with 'City of Heroes' at the front, the implication is that it's still being run by NCsoft; moving the qualifier could set up a legal status of being 'Homecoming', a licensed derivative of 'City of Heroes'. I don't know how the legal aspects work, but it seems to me that this is a move to separate Homecoming, a legitimated derivative, from the original. It's not proof of progress in any way except to show that NCsoft is actually negotiating, but it is a promising sign