Animation canceling and how it's exploited in pvp

bama

1 hour ago, Xanatos said:

/bind backslash "e shocked"

*open up gaming mouse macro options*

*Create a toggle that autofires #*

Press a button once at the start of the match to turn off animations.

Insane.

(Crey Pistol animation cancelling is legit, though. It's Shocked and Liedown that need fixing.)

This guy gets it.

No sarcasm.

1 hour ago, bandofhorses said:

Emps using it increases the skill ceiling as well, because emps can actually do more now and impact the game harder. Which in a meta with this stupid levels of damage, that's awesome.

This is effectively my position. We have gotten no updates whatsoever to improve the viability of support classes. The 8v8 meta had to be tailored through rules to encourage anything other than 6 blasters/doms and 2 emps, with some teams effectively realizing that their emps weren't even worth running in some scenarios (TBD's roguing team, RNGs counter comp to GGz's taunt team, etc).

Anything that encourages variety in the meta is a plus and makes PVP more accessible to people who would prefer to play anything other than blasters. Emps, Natures and other buff classes benefit disproportionally from pistol cancels and that is a good thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Wavedashing is a movement OPTION and is not always the best option in any given circumstance as it still requires a bit of time dedicated to moving a certain way + different characters have radically different WD physics / uses beyond that.

Animation Canceling as described seems to strictly be advantageous as it removes the rooting of power activation and it doesn't seem like there would be any reason not to do so?

With Pistol-style canceling, the main downside is forcibly losing target under most circumstances, requiring the user to go to great lengths to keep/reacquire target or accept that it's the end of their attack chain on a target. This downside is diminished on emps who can easily reacquire target on teammates. Also, the upside is diminished for relatively short animation powers (e.g. 1 second animations) because Pistol-style canceling requires a separate action and cannot be bound to fire subsequent to every ability (in the sense that the traditional bind/macro system does not allow two power users to be strung together).

Emote canceling has none of these downsides and can be bound to run immediately after every ability cast (because it's an emote, not a power). So IMO only emote canceling is strictly advantageous, and that's setting aside the important questions of how the developers can fix or how the community can police each of these.

16 hours ago, barrier said:

This guy gets it.

No sarcasm.

Yeah, a lot of the pushback you guys are getting in this thread are from forum regulars with 1500+ posts who click on "recent activity" and just reply to every thread.

Best to ignore them IMO. Most people who "play the forums" don't really play the game, let alone PVP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

2 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I remember the good old days when whirlwind cancelled all animations.  *sigh*  I miss those days.

I always thought they should’ve removed the knockback and made it the whole point of the power.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1

This entire thread is sooooooo 2006 for “LOL PVP” grins and giggles.  Thanks all.

Also explains why all the fancy people were running around PVE doing /macro Lame “em liedown$$em score7” or whatever while delivering PBAoE nukes from range.

• Confused 1

Please notice I reported a way/bug that can be exploited to permanently cancel animation and it still occurs (I just tested it again), it occurs by simply moving+flying(hover) with Rage active, when the bug kicks in (which occurs about 3 times of four Rage activations, for me = the far majority of times) you skip animations for the entire duration of Rage (the effect is exactly the same as the video I posted in the following link):

• Like 1