Why is Tuesday always the maintenance day

kiramon

For every game, it feels like Tuesday is always the maintenance day. Even HC has Tuesday as the maint day!

I think maybe EQ2 was Weds if I remember correctly? Other than that, Tuesday is like always the day of choice.... which is pretty funny cuz it means theres just nothing to do on Tuesday mornings! If they were staggered, at least you could spread your wings in between downtimes... 😞

#SWTORisDown #CoHisDown #WoWisDown

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah pretty much all of the games and entertainment industry seem to have this cycle, aside from a popular game having an early release over the weekend which I'm sure the company undoubtedly have to pay extra for people to come in over the weekend and code things if something goes haywire.  

Seems like a reasonable cycle, try to iron things out and have all your ducks in a row.  Having things happen on a Tuesday lets the devs have some breathing room throughout the week which they hopefully get to play this game over the weekend too rather than being bothered to code something.

Tuesday gets its name from the Anglo-Saxon's god of war Tiu, also known as Tyr to the Vikings. The Romans named their third day of the week after their god of war, Mars. That is why romantic languages like Spanish, French and Italian all have similar names for Tuesday: martes, mardi, and martedi.

Essentially, the Maintenance Crew hate you and want to start a War.

Not Really, just kidding, ha ha, uuuhhhh, never mind.....

• Haha 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

4 minutes ago, Marine X said:

Tuesday gets its name from the Anglo-Saxon's god of war Tiu, also known as Tyr to the Vikings. The Romans named their third day of the week after their god of war, Mars. That is why romantic languages like Spanish, French and Italian all have similar names for Tuesday: martes, mardi, and martedi.

Essentially, the Maintenance Crew hate you and want to start a War.

Not Really, just kidding, ha ha, uuuhhhh, never mind.....

Nice bit of trivia regardless.

1: Mondays suck.
2: If they've been doing traffic analysis, it's possible that Tuesdays are their low-ebb in traffic.
3: Part of their maintenance and testing/update schedule coincides on Tuesday.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I'd say that, at least for the 2nd Tuesday of the month, it is the day that Microsoft releases their security updates.  So, applying those to the OS, and peripheral OS related app patches (.NET, Internet Explorer, etc, C++, etc.), on that 2nd Tuesday likely sets the pattern for server reboots for any other updates on subsequent Tuesdays.  Just a theory.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

Spoiler

• Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

3 hours ago, Abraxus said:

I'd say that, at least for the 2nd Tuesday of the month, it is the day that Microsoft releases their security updates.  So, applying those to the OS, and peripheral OS related app patches (.NET, Internet Explorer, etc, C++, etc.), on that 2nd Tuesday likely sets the pattern for server reboots for any other updates on subsequent Tuesdays.  Just a theory.

That's a recipe for disaster 🙂 Always let the general public beta test MS updates for a few weeks before patching!

ETA: In recent years, Microsoft seems to have gone to a "whenever the hell we feel like it" patching cycle, but could be that sysadmins are so used to monkeying with updates on a Tuesday that they stick with it for old times' sake.

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

7 hours ago, Black Zot said:

Nice bit of trivia regardless.

Sun Day - Day of the sun

Moon Day - Day of the moon

Twos Day - Depends on calendar and where it is used in the world, Monday is considered 1s day of the week than Tuesday is 2nd otherwise Sunday forces Monday/Tuesday to 2nd/3rd. And the Tyr thing going on

Wodne's day - Day of Woden, also known as Odin

Thor's day - Hammer boy got one named after himself.

Frige day - Goddess Frigg

Saturn's Day - God Saturn in Roman mythology.

Yeah, all is from Wikipedia and that is a cringe source for information.  Still, does make sense in a way on how the days are pronounced. 

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

3 hours ago, roleki said:

That's a recipe for disaster 🙂 Always let the general public beta test MS updates for a few weeks before patching!

ETA: In recent years, Microsoft seems to have gone to a "whenever the hell we feel like it" patching cycle, but could be that sysadmins are so used to monkeying with updates on a Tuesday that they stick with it for old times' sake.

I am a SysAdmin in my day job, and I deal with security patching for 14,000 servers.  We run patches on our test systems on the 2nd Tuesday, which gives app owners a week to test to make sure that everything still works (though most don't actually avail themselves of the opportunity, to their own despair at times).  On the third Tuesday, we patch our production systems, and on the 4th Tuesday, we patch our Disaster Recovery systems, and the odds and ends that just couldn't be part of the first two groups, for whatever reason.  Then, we spend whatever time there is from there, until the start of the new cycle to get compliance as high as it can be, before it all resets to zero.  That is a lot of what I do.

So, yeah...I get the whole patching thing.  Whose to say that they actually apply MS updates on the 2nd Tuesday?  Perhaps they accomplish some other maintenance on that day, and save the actual patching until a week, or two later, as we do.  But, it is not outside the realm of possibility that Tuesday works for one, so why not just standardize on it.  Crazier things have happened.  That's my speculation on it, for whatever it's worth.

• Like 1

Being in IT here, we patch on Tuesday because Monday's suck. Never patch on Friday unless you are volunteering to work all weekend and field all calls.  If you patch on Tuesday you have Wed-Friday to fix things if something breaks. MMO's are prime time on the weekend so I would assume some sort of similar logic.  Reduce impact of an issue on prime time, reduce support cost of weekend labor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zergor said:

Being in IT here, we patch on Tuesday because Monday's suck. Never patch on Friday unless you are volunteering to work all weekend and field all calls.  If you patch on Tuesday you have Wed-Friday to fix things if something breaks. MMO's are prime time on the weekend so I would assume some sort of similar logic.  Reduce impact of an issue on prime time, reduce support cost of weekend labor. 

^
This too!

• Like 2

Because if shit blows up, there is time before the weekend to fix it.

1. No developer wants their game, especially a multi-player to be off-line on the weekend.
  2. Most developer's bean-counters don't like paying OT for when shit breaks and they have to work the weekend/late into the night to fix it.
  3. When you work late/long hours/weekends to fix major blocking issues (game crash/exploit/etc) targeted, but less thorough testing occurs.

At the latest, Thursday is the last day most developers like to drop an update/patch. I've seen it done on Fridays, and I've seen it go horribly wrong.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Well, Monday was never good anyways.

Tuesday, things go a little sideways.

Wednesday things go better - just for spite.

Thursday and Friday take too long.

Before you know it, Saturday's gone...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, MTeague said:

I'm not sure the planet can contain the amount of Rage that would be generated if Blizzard took down WoW for half a Saturday.

Pretty sure that was called the "Corrupted Blood Incident".  Fortunately,  subscription numbers had not reached their peak yet, so the planet survived.

• Like 1