Thoughts on /Regen

Sorrison

There are a couple of issues with Regen.

First, any mitigation based on health recovery creates an immortality line; the line under which they just don't die. Resistance sets also create immortality lines because they have health recovery, but because they have active mitigation they behave better as your drift from that immortality line. When a set is *so* reliant on health recovery (as Regen is) it tends to be polarizing; you literally can't die until the incoming damage crosses the immortality line, but then it drops off steeply as compared to the other sets unless you spend a tremendous amount of time building more layers of mitigation from IOs. This polarizing effect also polarizes the community since small shifts in playstyle and difficulty preferences can give such a large swing in experience.

Mitigation based on resistance and defense tend to provide a smoother and more gradual time to kill once incoming damage becomes much higher.

The other thing about Regen is that when it is played well it really eats into your DPS because there is a lot of animations that eat into your chain. Willpower may be "boring" but it isn't constantly ticking down your DPS as you go along. Having a secondary that eats animation time is actually a bad thing if you are a damage dealer since it detracts from your main role by stealing bits of animation time.

Part of the above issue is that Regen is reactive; yes other sets have clicks but many have things you do when heading into a fight, or things you do once and then enjoy 90 seconds of uptime.

• Like 3

The other interesting about regen is it favors the exact opposite of many other sets in groups; at higher levels defense and resistance buffs offer less to high end builds and healing is very strong, where as Regen gets much more from resistance and defense buffs but it is really hard for healers to offer significant benefit to Regen because they are competing (essentially) with Regen's main form of mitigation.

Thoughts on regen. 

Well, here's the deal. Like, one summer I went down to mercy island and we had a brawl with a bunch of vipers. Vipers have regen. So we cleared out a bunch of vipers from a bunch of caves. Good summer. Man, memories.

Oh, then this one time, we went to brickstown. Saw a paragon protector. Those have regen. So we killed a bunch of those, ran around the zig a bit and taunted all the crazy mental patients and then went home. 

So, in conclusion, regen is a thing. Regen is a thing that can totally be used sometimes, but mostly by older boomer folks set in their ways. Like people who like Tab. 

Does that answer your question? 

• Haha 1

Regen was at it's best when IH was a toggle and they where used as the tank for Hammi but that was a different era of coh

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

Regen gets a bad rap because alot of the new sets are flashier but regen means you almost never need to worry about endurance or your basic health. I have a SS/Regen Brute and a MA/Regen Brute. I have both capped for S/L defense with the Regen clickies for back up. Get Tough, get weave, get manuevers. You have the endurance to run all of it. With SS or MA you have a bunch of knockback/knockdown powers that stop enemies from attacking. Those extra couple of seconds really help mitigate in coming damage and keep you going. Try and fit a force feedback+ recharge IO into your build and work on getting your global recharge as high as you can. Do that and cap your S/L defenses and you'll be golden.

• Like 2

I've mained a regen scrapper ever since the game began.  The set has always been a bit of an odd ball.  While its old glory days are long behind it, the set is still good.  After its nerfs into its current state it provides some interesting features.  It's also very much a love it or hate it set when it comes to playing it.  You have to pay attention to incoming damage, learn your enemies attack probabilities.  You need to time when you use your defense clicks and know when you won't need them while they are recharging.  It's the stick shift of defense sets.  When everything aligns it is glorious.  But it can feel like trying to predict the weather too.  

No other set gives you the power to derive greater defense through recharge bonuses.  Even a couple of seconds can be the difference between living and dying with Regen and most of your mitigation is from your clickies.  

The passive endurance regeneration is fantastic!  When saying that regen clicks impact DPS, I would add that endurance recovery clicks can impact DPS as well.  So this would offset that animation time a bit and make it less of a penalty to regen.  

You can stack all of your defenses into some potent survival for a short time.  Using Instant Healing, then popping Moment of Glory and jumping into a nasty spawn is awesome.  Pop dull pain to absorb the alpha, then reconstruction to recover from another damage surge and you are still going.  I've taking massive incoming spikes of damage this way.  

After playing many scrappers Shadow Meld is like jelly to regen's peanut butter.  I've seen few powers make such drastic impacts into power sets.  As soon as you get it, you can effectively have a slightly less impactful Moment of Glory and keep it up almost half of the time.  It's ready for every alpha strike!  Pop it before you jump into a spawn and then if you need more than 15 seconds that it provides hit your Moment of Glory!  I've found that on harder or longer fights where you can sometimes be counting seconds until Reconstruction is back up, that Shadow Meld is back up which can let you keep going.  

As of late I've been using the Presence pool instead of the Fighting pool.  Invoke Panic has been a great tool for limiting incoming damage.  I find it to be more impactful than toughness overall.  

• Like 1

The Dev looked down at Scrappers

He was lookin’ for a nerf to deal

He was on a deadline at beta patch time

He was willing to ruin a build

When he came across this young Scrapper chewin through a map without a sweat

And the Dev jumped into the map and said “Generic326, let me tell you what.”

“I bet you didn’t know it, but I’m a Regen player too.

And if you’d care to take a dare, I’ll make a bet with you.

Now you run a pretty good farm boy, but give the Dev his due

I’ll bet a buff against your skills because I see a nerf in you.”

The Scrapper said, “I may have a great build, and get myself banned for it

But screw your nerf, I’ll stick with this, cause Regen is the best there ever was.”

Generic326 you fool, you’ve doomed us all for sure

Cause Hell’s broke loose on Beta and the Dev holds all the buffs

And if you win you’ll get the nerf bat made of gold

But if you loose we might just get some love.

Now the Dev he opened up his farm map and he said “Ill get this farm on the road

And fire flew from his fingertips as he started his first chain

And he pulled in each new spawn with his Fire Breath’s evil hiss

And his Greater Fire Sword joined in and it sounded something like this

When the Dev has finished Generic326 said “We’ll you’re pretty good ol’ son

But sit down at that door right there and let me show you how it’s done.”

Follow Up and Focus, run mobs run!

Regen’s in the house of the Shockwave fun

Spin in the middle shredding up spawns

Instant Healing on tap, don’t need a heal

The Dev he bowed his head because he knew that he’d been beat

And he laid that golden nerf bat on the ground at Generic’s feet

Generic326 said, “Dev come on back if you ever want to try again

Cause I told you once—no matter the nerf—Regen is the best there’s ever been.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

On 10/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, Moonlighter said:

The other thing about Regen is that when it is played well it really eats into your DPS because there is a lot of animations that eat into your chain. Willpower may be "boring" but it isn't constantly ticking down your DPS as you go along. Having a secondary that eats animation time is actually a bad thing if you are a damage dealer since it detracts from your main role by stealing bits of animation time.

Particularly true when your self-heal doesn't do double-duty as an attack, like the heals in Dark Armor, Rad, and especially Bio.

2 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Particularly true when your self-heal doesn't do double-duty as an attack, like the heals in Dark Armor, Rad, and especially Bio.

And this is precisely why I really wanted the Dark Melee Siphon Life change (way back before the snap) to be ported over to the very similar Warshade Essence Drain.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

Claws Regen on live.  twice.

Enjoyed it.  Both times.  To L50.

Never built it out with IOs though.  This will be my third attempt at it.

I prefer that Regen's 'stuff' is 'on call' unlike WP.

Any Proc builds out there for a Scrapper Claws Regen?  Any dark Moon Magic for such a build?

Azrael.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

So you can corpse-blast AND be the corpse! Brilliant!

I can say, I have corpse blasted a few, but not as many as before. 🙂  And with Barrier, I haven't been the corpse as often and the just shy of 45% s/l defense has helped.  Still feels pretty weak compared to other sets though.

Edited by BrandX

On 10/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, Pizzamurai said:

Yeah. That was the point of my reference 😜

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer