ice blaster build help

graeberguinn

So after many alts I finally got my first level 50 and I've been having a BLAST. Now on to learning how to craft a build. I have a lot of questions and i'm not sure if i'm on the right track. I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed. Not only at what sets to picks and how to slot, but also how to afford them. I'm sitting at around 50 million influence at the moment. And around 324 merits. Any tips on the fastest way to afford a build without a farmer? For sets sold at merit vendor is it better to farm merits to get them or build up influence and buy recipes/enhancements? 

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I was playing around in Mids and picked some sets that looked like what I was after. But looking at my totals it seems off from what i've seen on other builds. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Freezer Geezer - Blaster (Ice Blast).mxd

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Freezer Geezer: Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Manipulation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dvs-Hold%(40)
Level 1: Chilblain -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(7), Dvs-Hold%(46)
Level 2: Ice Blast -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg(A), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Dvs-Dmg/Rchg(9), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Dvs-Hold%(40)
Level 4: Frost Breath -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(15), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(15), Range-I(43)
Level 6: Ice Sword -- GldStr-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(A), GldStr-Dam/End/Rech(17), GldStr-Dam/Rech(17), GldStr-Acc/Dmg(19), GldStr-%Dam(48)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(43)
Level 10: Frigid Protection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(23), EndMod-I(25)
Level 12: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Ice Storm -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(25), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Ann-ResDeb%(29)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- Krm-Def/EndRdx(A), Krm-ResKB(46)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(43)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(40)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(50)
Level 24: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Bitter Freeze Ray -- Acc-I(A), Dmg-I(36), Dmg-I(36), Dmg-I(37), RechRdx-I(37), Empty(48)
Level 28: Boxing -- PlvFst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A)
Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37), StdPrt-ResKB(39)
Level 32: Blizzard -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(33), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Rgn-Knock%(34)
Level 35: Snow Storm -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def(45)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(42), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), ShlWal-Def(42), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(45), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(45), NmnCnv-Heal(50)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Hibernate -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- PlvFst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
------------

Edited by graeberguinn

2nd Easiest way to convert Merits to Cash : 

Use the Merits to buy Converters. 

/ah and put an order in for lots of level 31 yellow Travel sets and the ingredients needed to make them. They're usually around 50k a go plus 5-7k for the ingredients. Maybe less. 

Once you have 30 or 40 get them and craft them (may take a couple of days to fill/ buy that number of them)

Start at the end of your list of Crafted Enhancements and open the Convert window

First do a Convert to another of the same Type (if it's a Run Speed one convert to another run speed). It's most likely now a Rare

Now play the Rare conversion game. Keep converting to another Rare until you get something worthwhile. Once I get something which sells for > 1.5 million lob it onto the market and move on

You'll learn what's good and other tricks (like if you get a Defense set you can roll to another Defense a few times until you get a Luck of the Gambler. Then reroll that within the LOTG set until you get A Defense/Global Recharge, a Defense or a Def/End). 

1st easiest way

Buy Converters from the Merits.

Sell all the Converters on the market, in batches, for about 68,000 profit a pop (75k - 7k market fees)

This is much quicker but much less lucrative. 

If using the crafting method sell everything. Then use the funds to buy Attuned versions of the sets from the AH. The prices are the same on the market so sell because the market "shares" the supply between Crafted and Attuned for normal IOs. So using this method you're selling Crafted and buying Attuned which level with you for no real cost bar some marketing fees. "pure" procs are the only real exception here, there's no real difference between the crafted and attuned versions. 

Edited by Carnifax

As for building you need to decide what you are chasing. On Blasters Smashing / Lethal and Ranged defense tends to be the best option with Recharge.

Your friends here are (disregarding Winters sets because they're 30 million each. Urrgh).

• Thunderstrikes in single ranged attacks give good chunks of ranged defense.
  • Ditto the new Artillery sets in Targetted AOEs. You kind of have to decide if you want the Recharge from Posi's here or the ranged defense from Artillery. (using a combination of Thunderstrikes and Artillery my Water/Time ranged blaster easily got to Ranged & NRG cap)
  • Your ATOs have decent bonuses even if they are 8-10 million each so they're worthwhile. 
  • Oblit in PBAOEs is good. It's a big chunk of melee, some Smashing/Lethal defense and a good recharge bonus for 6 of them. (my /Fire blaster uses lots of these)
  • Kinetic Combat in melee attacks gives a decent Smash/Lethal bonus for 4. You'll need a 5th slot with some Acc/Dam frankenslotted in to compensate for the low level they come in. 
  • 6 Gaussians in Build Up gives you a bit of defense to nearly everything. More importantly it'll give you a 10 second 100% damage boost and thanks to the proc 5 seconds of another 80%. So Build Up > AoE chain becomes extra lethal. Against bosses Build-Up > Single Target chain will melt them. I usually also take Aim but that'd up to you (Tactics or Aim is up to you).
  • Your single target immob will take Thunderstrike OR Enfeebled Operation. Thunderstrike if you need the damage, Enfeebled Operation if you want it more as a mule for the Smashing/Lethal defense. 

Bearing this in mind here's probably what I'd do here. 4 slotting boxing is a bit meh but it's early and I haven't had coffee yet. But this is reasonably cheap (no Winters or Purples) and caps a lot of things defensively. Dropped Bitter Freeze Ray cos it's crap (too slow animation-wise for the damage it does. Freeze Ray is amazing though)

*Edit : You don't have Hasten. Normally I'd take Hasten with 2 50+5 Recharge IOs in it, you may want to shuffle things slightly and drop something for it. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Freezer Geezer: Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ice Manipulation
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 1: Chilblain -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(46)
Level 2: Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 4: Frost Breath -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(13), Artl-Dam/Rech(13), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(15), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(15), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(43)
Level 6: Ice Sword -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(17), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(17), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(48)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(43)
Level 10: Frigid Protection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(23), EndMod-I(25)
Level 12: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Ice Storm -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(25), Artl-Dam/Rech(27), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(27), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(29), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(29)
Level 16: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Krm-ResKB(46)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(43)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(40)
Level 22: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(46), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 24: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(36), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(36), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Build%(48)
Level 28: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37), StdPrt-ResKB(39)
Level 32: Blizzard -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(33), Artl-Dam/Rech(33), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(33), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(34), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(34)
Level 35: Snow Storm -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), DefBuff-I(39)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42), DefBuff-I(42)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(45), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(45), NmnCnv-Heal(50), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(50), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 47: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Hibernate -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- PlvFst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Heal(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
------------

Edited by Carnifax

11 hours ago, graeberguinn said:

For sets sold at merit vendor is it better to farm merits to get them or build up influence and buy recipes/enhancements? 

In general, it is more efficient to sell your merits (often in the form of converters as @Carnifaxdescribes above) than to spend them directly on recipes or IOs.  Also, it *may* be cheaper to buy recipes and craft them yourself, but it’s much more convenient to just buy the IO directly, especially if you want it in attuned form.  Specific recipes are usually the bottleneck in the supply chain.

Who run Bartertown?

• 3 weeks later