Old school playing is getting rare

Diantane

17 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

Given that stealth in sprint + the grant invis buff from base empowerment provides pve invis, the truly "selfish" player would be the one expecting someone, especially a Stalker where every pick is precious, to waste a pick on recall ally.

This^

Half stealth costs 1 mil inf for a celerity IO. Anyone on their second character and beyond should have it slotted.  Full stealth is one incidental power pick (Shadowfall, Steamy Mist, Shinobi, Energy Cloak, Super Speed, Stealth which is also a great Gambler mule, etc.) or a base buff away.  Half stealth plus beast run/ninja run is usually more than enough to run through a mission without getting hit.  

What some people are calling selfish can be easily turned around.  My view is that those who need someone to babysit them like that are lazy or need to learn to play better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

In no one wanting to sound critical, just want to point out that Im pretty sure your experienced enough to know the multiplier that is team buffs vs personal ones. A full team all using team insp is not unlike a team full of defenders.

No offense taken.  I absolutely recognize the value and this is why all my defenders and most of my controllers take all the Leadership toggles.  Like I said, I just overlook team inspirations.  When I switch to a character that is carrying some, my reaction is "Wow, I should have had some of those in that last mission.  I need to remember to get some for next time."  And then I don't.

3 hours ago, Johnny said:

For low-level task forces, or teaming in general, people seem to overlook Recall Friend, which is fairly painless to work in around level 8.

Recall Friend is a versatile tool for helping get people to mission doors, especially when they'd needed to level quickly, or don't have their main travel power. Sometimes, a player gets lost in the mission, or a defeated player can be yanked into a safe spot for rezzing.

Well....  it might not be easy to work it in by level 8 but I have it on the majority of my characters.  I'm all about teamwork and support and pretty much all of my characters will take a power or two that's mostly to benefit others.

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Recall is useless now that everyone can have ATT and TT.  If you need to move off to rez a player "in safety", you're not helping the rest of the team while dicking around with someone who took a dirt nap.  Team can clear the mobs and the dead person can use an awaken or hosp/sg base it. 

LOL.  No.  Having someone with Recall is no longer critical, like it used to be in some situations.  Now it's simply useful.  Being able to bring people to your location is HUGELY useful.  I'll get Assemble The Team and I'll get the Incandescence incarnate power as a back-up, but that's not available when you're exemped below 50 and ATT has a long recharge.

"Oh, but everyone should have ATT."  Sure, but what if they forgot, or haven't gotten it yet, or that character didn't have the funds, or what if I'm the only person with Invisibility and my ATT is recharging from the last mission we stealthed?  Trust me.  I take Recall on most of my characters, I use it a lot and I get thanked by teammates *A LOT*.

• Like 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

Given that stealth in sprint + the grant invis buff from base empowerment provides pve invis, the truly "selfish" player would be the one expecting someone, especially a Stalker where every pick is precious, to waste a pick on recall ally.

And the truly generous player takes Recall to help people ANYWAY.

Not everyone has a stealth IO.  Not everyone knows that base empowerment stations even exist.

Many people just don't have your level of experience and knowledge of the game and I go out of my way to help them have fun anyway.

• Like 5

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I play the game for funzies.  Of course however I choose to spend my time is selfish.  Its my time.  I feel like this calls for a giant DUH!  Seriously, did I miss something? 

If someone doesnt like the selfish way I spend my free time, they are more than welcome to exit themselves from my proximity in much the same way I leave if I disapprove of the selfish manner in which someone else is spending their free time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, EmmySky said:

I play the game for funzies.  Of course however I choose to spend my time is selfish.  Its my time.  I feel like this calls for a giant DUH!  Seriously, did I miss something? 

If someone doesnt like the selfish way I spend my free time, they are more than welcome to exit themselves from my proximity in much the same way I leave if I disapprove of the selfish manner in which someone else is spending their free time.

Well said. Though, I think it’s incorrect to label a player selfish because they don’t go out of their way, or gimp themselves, to help others. While it may fit the literal definition, the connotation is negative. There is nothing negative about playing the game in the way you find fun. This game is a hobby and by default it is for personal enjoyment.

If a player finds satisfaction and enjoyment out of prioritizing the team over the individual that is perfectly fine and many people appreciate that. However, it is not in any way wrong to prioritize individual preference while playing a game that is meant for fun.

A player can still contribute meaningfully to pretty much any team as long as they have enhancements slotted (doesn’t even need to be IOs) and tries to follow instructions when teaming. They don’t have to go out of their way to work in recall friend or unnecessary leadership toggles into their build to be a team player. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

This^

Half stealth costs 1 mil inf for a celerity IO. Anyone on their second character and beyond should have it slotted.  Full stealth is one incidental power pick (Shadowfall, Steamy Mist, Shinobi, Energy Cloak, Super Speed, Stealth which is also a great Gambler mule, etc.) or a base buff away.  Half stealth plus beast run/ninja run is usually more than enough to run through a mission without getting hit.  

What some people are calling selfish can be easily turned around.  My view is that those who need someone to babysit them like that are lazy or need to learn to play better.

One could also say that not everybody wants to rush to the end. Some of us prefer to fight our way there instead of skipping everything, even if we are already level 50 and even if we are just there for the Badge/Merits.

So in my eyes, if you want to skip everything, be ready to port me around, because I am not going to be slotting my characters to skip mobs. Unless it is stated up front that the mission/TF is a speed run, you can't expect your team mates to be set up for speed runs/mob skipping. Now if you do broadcast that it is a speed run, then in that case I would agree with you 100%. A player had better come ready to speed run and not require a babysitter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

My stance is "I don't enjoy stealthing missions, and I only join groups advertised as Kill All or Kill Most."

Yet another solution to the problem, albeit a perhaps less popular one.

But since you'll never see me in your group that wants to stealth everything, it's all good.

Right there with ya, my man. +1

• Like 1

Just now, Solarverse said:

One could also say that not everybody wants to rush to the end. Some of us prefer to fight our way there instead of skipping everything, even if we are already level 50 and even if we are just there for the Badge/Merits.

So in my eyes, if you want to skip everything, be ready to port me around, because I am not going to be slotting my characters to skip mobs. Unless it is stated up front that the mission/TF is a speed run, you can't expect your team mates to be set up for speed runs/mob skipping. Now if you do broadcast that it is a speed run, then in that case I would agree with you 100%. A player had better come ready to speed run and not require a babysitter.

The fact that the premise is that you should take Recall to TP people to the end presupposes the fact that we're discussing stealthing and speed runs.  

So your comment is kind of irrelevant to what's being discussed.  Kudos to you for not wanting to stealth.  That's fine, but we're not talking about that.  

The issue is more about people joining teams that are stealthing and then considering the stealthers to be selfish for not taking Recall.  You don't join speed runs (which is great, if you don't want to play that way), but a lot of people do and then expect people to carry them or complain about being left behind.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

The fact that the premise is that you should take Recall to TP people to the end presupposes the fact that we're discussing stealthing and speed runs.  

So your comment is kind of irrelevant to what's being discussed.  Kudos to you for not wanting to stealth.  That's fine, but we're not talking about that.  

The issue is more about people joining teams that are stealthing and then considering the stealthers to be selfish for not taking Recall.  You don't join speed runs (which is great, if you don't want to play that way), but a lot of people do and then expect people to carry them or complain about being left behind.

I'll give you a like for that. Especially for your last statement. I did back you on that though on my last statement as well. So all good.  🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

LOL.  No.  Having someone with Recall is no longer critical, like it used to be in some situations.  Now it's simply useful.  Being able to bring people to your location is HUGELY useful.

LOL yes, recall friend is a total waste of a pool selection since ATT does the same thing without sacrificing a pool choice.  It's useful for inexperienced people who don't know any better or for people trying to resurrect the old taxibots in the Hollows. 

5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

LOL yes, recall friend is a total waste of a pool selection since ATT does the same thing without sacrificing a pool choice.  It's useful for inexperienced people who don't know any better or for people trying to resurrect the old taxibots in the Hollows. 

Well, I think inexperienced players should have fun, too.  If I can reduce their frustration, then the power slot is well spent.

At any rate, if it increases my fun, and someone else's, then BY DEFINITION it's not a waste since this is a GAME and fun is what we're here for.

If it's a "total waste" to you, then don't take it.  Problem solved.  I don't build my characters for you.

P.S.  Funny you should mention the Taxibots and the Hollows.  I was, and still am, a member of Paragon City Search And Rescue.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

If it's a "total waste" to you, then don't take it.  Problem solved.  I don't build my characters for you.

This, exactly.

Also, saying ATT and Recall do "the same thing" is like saying a Corvette and a semi do "the same thing." Yes, they go from point A to point B, but I don't think anyone in their right mind expects them to do the same job.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Well, I think inexperienced players should have fun, too.  If I can reduce their frustration, then the power slot is well spent.

At any rate, if it increases my fun, and someone else's, then BY DEFINITION it's not a waste since this is a GAME and fun is what we're here for.

P.S.  Funny you should mention the Taxibots and the Hollows.  I was, and still am, a member of Paragon City Search And Rescue.

Man I never said new or inexperienced people shouldn't have fun.  you're putting words in my mouth now.  I said it's useful for people who don't know any better.  Once they know they can free that pool pick up for something else maybe even more useful because they can get ATT from the P2W vendor, the game may be even more enjoyable for them.  a little knowledge goes a long way.   I don't build characters for you either, so not sure what you're on about there.  If you like it, great.  Keep taking it.  I don't care either way.  I don't take it because I find it a waste. if you don't more power to you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Also, saying ATT and Recall do "the same thing" is like saying a Corvette and a semi do "the same thing." Yes, they go from point A to point B, but I don't think anyone in their right mind expects them to do the same job.

They both do the same job though.  One just recharges a bit longer. 

1 minute ago, ZacKing said:

Man I never said new or inexperienced people shouldn't have fun.  you're putting words in my mouth now.  I said it's useful for people who don't know any better.

And I'm saying that I'm an EXPERT at this game and I find the power to be useful - because it lets me be helpful to others and I value that.

3 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

And I'm saying that I'm an EXPERT at this game and I find the power to be useful - because it lets me be helpful to others and I value that.

Good for you.  Did you miss this part of my post?

7 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

If you like it, great.  Keep taking it.  I don't care either way.  I don't take it because I find it a waste. if you don't more power to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Good for you.  Did you miss this part of my post?

Not at all.  Did you forget that you wrote this part:  " I said it's useful for people who don't know any better. "

10 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Not at all.  Did you forget that you wrote this part:  " I said it's useful for people who don't know any better. "

Man I know what I wrote.  I didn't say it is ONLY useful to people who don't know any better.  Good try though.  You want to use it, more power to you.  Keep right on going and use it all you want.  I'm sure there's folks out there who will thank you for it.  It's my opinion that it's a waste.  feel free to disagree. 

for me I'd rather use the pool pick on something that keeps me alive so I don't need anyone else to waste their time to TP and rez me when they could be helping the rest of the team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I would argue that being useful to a select group is on point to a degree.  I also remember the Taxibots.  They were a great help back in the day, but that was before Oro portals, base teleports and such.  I definitely see little to no need for such a service now, but I am a veteran and know of more efficient/faster ways to get somewhere whereas a newer person may not. 

I hear a combination of glitter and cat videos does some whacka-doodle thing to people's brain chemistry and causes them to feel happiness. Since I couldn't find one together, here's a glitter video, and a cat video!

I also discovered something about this game:

Spoiler

• Like 3