Diantane

Old school playing is getting rare

1 hour ago, ForeverLaxx said:

You wouldn't like my Energy/FF Corruptor then. No defensive shields at all, though I am slotting relevant AoE knockback powers with the KB - KD enhancement. I'm not totally monstrous.

Agent Knockback is planning on taking every power in the FF/Energy (Defender) combo that has KB.

And, he refuses to have any KB-KD enhancements slotted.

Otherwise, he'd be Agent Knockdown.

Doesn't have the same impact to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I recently stumbled over this revival project of COH.

Having played the orignal CoH/V back in the day (Stopped before architect, but not entirely sure on excatly when) I actually like to just play noramlly.
Ive made a Warshade Im trying to play Triform style (Lots of faceplants involved) and has only played ShadowStars missions, TaskForces as they become available (Am done with Synapse, Positron and Yin)
Its taken me to lvl 26 with no power leveling or other sheniagans.

Its fun ediscovering a lot of things and becomming contronted with how much i have forgotten and how much new stuff was instated in the time from -I left till the game closed down.

My only regret is not having all theinfluende my original Blaster had on Virtue, that dough would have made bying stuff so much easier 🙂

• Like 3

I think that having XP Boosts/etc is nice for certain characters. However, there is certainly enough story arcs and content in the game to keep you entertained while leveling (if you enjoy that).

A few of the GMs made (what we refer to as) "Classic Characters". Where we all started off running through the sewers together and leveling them up following a certain set of rules.
- No AE/Farms/DFB. Can only level up via Contacts/Sewers/TFs/Radios/Zone Encounters/ETC
- No Influence Trading. So you can't send influence from another character. You have to purchase/craft your SOs/DOs/IOs with the influence you made from that character.
- No P2W Vendor. So we don't use the veteran powers/buffs/etc.
- No Merits. So you can't use merits to purchase enhancements/etc.
- No Travel Powers prior to Lvl 14 - (We highly enjoyed running around The Hollows from the Hospital again :D)

It has certainly made leveling a lot slower, however, it was extremely fun and rewarding! I think everyone enjoys playing the game in different ways and it's nice that in a game like this you have so many options. I sometimes enjoy the XP Boost, but I also really enjoy playing those characters as well. I'd highly recommend getting a group of friends together and trying it! 

• Like 11

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! GM Arcanum#7164

Always happy to help! Let me know if there's anything we can do to assist! ^_^

8 minutes ago, GM Arcanum said:

- No Influence Trading. So you can't send influence from another character. You have to purchase/craft your SOs/DOs/IOs with the influence you made from that character.
- No Travel Powers prior to Lvl 14 - (We highly enjoyed running around The Hollows from the Hospital again :D)

That's just crazy talk!

• Haha 4

It's funny.  I actually play with the extra XP gains off  and play through a ton of story content just for content's sake.  I'm not in a hurry in this game. I only ever wanted City of Heroes (Villains really as I play Rogues mostly) to come back just so I could enjoy the love and weirdness Cyptic and Paragon studios threw into the game.  I'll get to 50, one day

• Like 4

On 9/16/2020 at 9:16 AM, GM Arcanum said:

I think that having XP Boosts/etc is nice for certain characters. However, there is certainly enough story arcs and content in the game to keep you entertained while leveling (if you enjoy that).

A few of the GMs made (what we refer to as) "Classic Characters". Where we all started off running through the sewers together and leveling them up following a certain set of rules.
- No AE/Farms/DFB. Can only level up via Contacts/Sewers/TFs/Radios/Zone Encounters/ETC

It has certainly made leveling a lot slower, however, it was extremely fun and rewarding! I think everyone enjoys playing the game in different ways and it's nice that in a game like this you have so many options. I sometimes enjoy the XP Boost, but I also really enjoy playing those characters as well. I'd highly recommend getting a group of friends together and trying it! 

I've had a similar idea myself,, but what has always stopped me is that there's always that one guy who will use the P2W vendor, merits, etc. and just "happen" to keep getting great drops. For some reason there's a certain personality type (psychopath) that sees an endeavor like this as way to have a group of people to somehow feel superior to.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, GM Arcanum said:

My Duo Partner and I have tried 'old school' style rules of playing.

SOs only until L50.  (AT set allowed via earned Merits from playing the mission arcs but no crafting, no IO sets in general.)

Sprint only travel power with an SO in Swift.

A Pact like parity of progress as a duo.  (No zooming ahead unbalancing the duo.  Picking similar powers...slotting identically.)

Only use of Oro is for gaining the Stature missions so we can share the Merits arc rewards and play the 'Natural' Origin content.  Oro not allowed for transport.

No xp boosts or P2W powers.

+0 x1 only L1-50.  Even Con.  And you get a clear feeling of 'growing' power over time as you become more 'super.'

NO influence trading between alts.

It's been fun.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Like 1