Old school playing is getting rare

Diantane

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

The 'Serenity Prayer', written by Reinhold Niebuhr in 1932-33.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

Shh bud, I was trying to respect the rules about bringing up religion by making that very good point from the above without specifying. Such is the fine art of forum fu, tis more like forum fencing then forum flamberge flailing.

5 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I, for one, have never PLed a character in my entire history with the game. What's the point? I also never got the whole "pay to win" mentality. It's a GAME, the purpose is to HAVE FUN. If you don't HAVE FUN while playing the GAME.... what the hell are you "playing" it for???

You're only cheating yourself.

What makes you think that they aren't having fun?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Judasace said:

Exactly.

I skip the low-level parts of the game because, for me, that's NOT the fun part. I want to get on to the bits that *are* fun....

But then, I'm one of those people who actually enjoys the farming side of that, too...

I suspect the whole idea of there being people who farm because they honestly enjoy doing it probably blows Phil's mind. XD

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

51 minutes ago, Judasace said:

It’s just another jab inferring that PLing is not the proper way to play the game and thus can’t possibly be fun. Just more fun policing comments. 

Edit: PK has retracted his earlier position by indicating he now understands there I another perspective.  So my comment above no longer applies to PK. 

Edited by Saikochoro

41 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

I suspect the whole idea of there being people who farm because they honestly enjoy doing it probably blows Phil's mind. XD

1 minute ago, Saikochoro said:

It’s just another jab inferring that PLing is not the proper way to play the game and thus can’t possibly be fun. Just more fun policing comments. 

Man, the jabs come out quickly it seems!

• Sad 1
I'm out.

6 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

This is not an absolute truth.  There are players out there who have played all the way to 50 through story content that still have no idea what they are doing.  If you only have limited playtime, why are you pugging?  Find like minded players, form a group and enjoy all the content and play how you like. 

Was going to multiquote but cant figure it out.

What if you only have 40 minutes in any given play session anyway (not to dedicate to just 1 task like at tf)?

Filthy casuals like to powerlevel because hey, they get more bang for their buck out of a given alt not struggling through levels in their Xmin limited playtime, due to other concerns like parenting (go covid at-home schooling!), general parenting, school, so on so forth.

Not all filthy casuals getting powerleveled are absent play ability. Some are actually quite effective, they just look to maximize their limited play time.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ironblade said:

The 'Serenity Prayer', written by Reinhold Niebuhr in 1932-33.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

I thought it was 

"God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

the Courage to change the things I can, 

and the Wisdom, to hide the bodies, of those people I had to kill, 

because they PISSED ME OFF"

though I suppose that works better on a coffee mug, than in actual practice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I skip the low-level parts of the game because, for me, that's NOT the fun part. I want to get on to the bits that *are* fun....

• I do enjoy a fair bit of team banter.
  • I tend to have an internal monologue of how my current character would approach any given mission.  I struggle with the knowledge that that's probably a rare thing. 
  • I either solo 45-50, or just do a flood of lower lvl TF's for that stretch, because I cannot STAND the feeling of being carried / not pulling my own weight, and when you're a 47 player on a team full of incarnates, well... yea.
  • I am a serious Map-Clearing-Fool. I have been ever since Diablo 2.  Speed runs just jar me, partly because I'm not really focused on "finish this mission now now now, chop chop!", and because I'm sure the 65 mobs they didn't kill were all going to drop Purple Recipes and PvP Recipes.  I'm much much happier with "Kill All" or "Kill Most" and avoid speed runs like the plague.

I think it's all-too-human, not correct, just all-too-human, for us to tend to assume what we find fun is fun for everyone, what we find boring is boring for everyone, and that other people would have a vastly more enjoyable experience if they only played it the game the right way (ie, like me).  Again, that's flat wrong, but I often have to stop myself from thinking that way.

There is a lot of "Same Planet, Different Worlds" at play. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Well, the game actually tells you if someone is being exemped down or not, so that shouldn't really be an assumption. 

If you click on a player and their level shows as white/grey (whatever the default color is), then that's their actual level. If it's blue, they either haven't trained or are being sidekicked/malefactored. If it's orangey-red, they're being exemped down.

I can almost say most people don't know this exists, let alone bother to check this setting lol

13 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Well cant say for HC, but back on live during a double xp weekend I took a brute from start to 38 exclusively street hunting around R.I. after the double xp ended took me about another week doing such to reach cap. Was an energy/energy brute if I recall right.

Back on live id regularly street sweep in pvp zones (especially sirens with huge hot zone mobs and rv cause of the free op pet.  Turrets are very good xp).  At one time i think pvp zones had a bit higher xp for missions and pve mobs.

There is also a spot in st marts a small "island" with freaks and wailers.  Huge mobs.  Id circle that on brutes as a test of build.  My ss/elec destroyed it.  And exp was strong.

Even what constitutes "The Game" is different from player to player -before- you get in to questions of "What is fun?" or "What is enjoyable?"

I mean, I'm one of those people who's said that if you're here just for experimenting with builds, then wouldn't Mids be enough for you?

That's not really fair to say, of course.  It's more of a bit of snide rhetoric to try to emphasize that whole portions of gameplay or content do not necessarily define the City of Heroes / Villains experience for each of us.

And that's fine.

It's a good thing, even.*

It absolutely SUCKS when you're someone who wants a social experience with like-minded people, but you can't seem to find those people.  Good lard-and-gravy do I know how THAT feels.

But lamenting how other existing players choose to engage with the game isn't going to do much but aggravate those other players.

So, sure!  Post threads calling out for people who might get along with you!  I think that's a good way to try to find some people to enjoy the game with.

Though I think there are members of this community who would do really, really well to remember that the mere existence of players who don't enjoy the game the same way as you aren't causing a problem.

Short of actual toxic behaviour, just let the other players do their own thing.  And if they -do- something toxic, please report it immediately.  Engaging with toxicity just tends to spread it.

* It would be nice to hear more about what the Homecoming Team members consider "The Game" and fun/enjoyable.  Some added perspective would be helpful.

• Like 2

On the topic of something personally fun: 

I think it’d be cool to run with a regular group as a “super team,” sharing our early experiences as we gained prominence. Then, after that, maybe we play the next generation of the team. 

Speaking of: I don’t think I’ve seen any instances of a team running in a supergroup matching uni, or even color scheme. I’m sure someone’s done it. I just haven’t seen it. It’d be kinda cool to don the team togs.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

• Game Master
13 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

* It would be nice to hear more about what the Homecoming Team members consider "The Game" and fun/enjoyable.  Some added perspective would be helpful.

I think I'm uniquely qualified to say I'm happy EVERY part of it is back, even the segments I haven't done yet.  It gives me a second chance to grow as a player after spending years regretting not doing whole swaths of the game during the time I've started calling the "game-that-was."

• Like 5

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Which Shard are you on, @cranebump?   I see that stuff all the time on Everlasting.

And thanks for the reply, @GM Tahquitz.  Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not part of the decision-making Team, are you?  I have to admit, the whole hierarchy of the Homecoming Team, Devs, GMs, and Community Reps is rather obscure to me.

3 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Which Shard are you on, @cranebump?   I see that stuff all the time on Everlasting.

Mainly Excelsior, though I have a healthy stable of chars on Ever. Having run there quite a bit, I don’t recall seeing any super teams go flying by. At least, not teams in matching outfits. That would make sense as a place to see it, though. Maybe I should shift more focus there.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

A few of the people on my Global Friend list even do a little bi-weekly get-together as a sort of elemental teen hero group.  Uniformed outfits, where each one has a different focal colour to match their elemental Powers.  Red is Fire.  Green is Plant.  Blue is Water and/or Ice.

I think the issue may be that I see them on my Global Friend List, but I don't see them "in the streets," because . . . why would I?  The world in this game is quite huge!  My odds of randomly crossing their path is pretty small, unless I specifically stalk them based on the info in the Globals list.

I suspect a similar issue may be causing the lack of apparent representation for other, similar Groups.  Instanced missions and quick travel means that short of themed costume contests or some other scheduled event (like Shadeknight's recruitment faire last weekend), those thematically cohesive Groups aren't immediately visible while casually strolling around the game Zones.

42 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

It absolutely SUCKS when you're someone who wants a social experience with like-minded people, but you can't seem to find those people.  Good lard-and-gravy do I know how THAT feels.

Exactly.  Now if you would all please start hanging out in bloody bay, sirens, warburg and rv with me please.  Cause i seem to be the only one there.  Fyi there is actually fun content and very few pvpers outside of indom.

2 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

I can almost say most people don't know this exists, let alone bother to check this setting lol

Um, but that's just it, it's not a setting, that's just how the game works by default. If you start targeting random players in like, Atlas Park you'll see what I mean. Shoot, if you run DFB over the max level for each area, you will see your level turn orange to the corresponding level you've been exemped to on your HUD.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

35 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ya know, PK... a whole lot of us have seen absolutely everything the game has to offer many... many times.

I would think that if that's the case, then you might want to move onto other aspects of the game, such as maybe.... modding... for instance? 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
I'm out.

• Game Master
3 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

And thanks for the reply, @GM Tahquitz.  Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not part of the decision-making Team, are you?  I have to admit, the whole hierarchy of the Homecoming Team, Devs, GMs, and Community Reps is rather obscure to me.

In other words, "Gold names pleas KThxBai."

I see how it is... 😫 (Goes back to work.)

(...kidding. 😁)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.