Enhancement Diversification

My take on Cryptic selling off the IP was that Jack didn't want to compete with his own company, and thought he could do better with Champions using lessons learned from making/running City of Heroes. And in some respects, he was right. Champions does some things far better then CoH ever did. Unfortunately, the game also relied far more heavily on public area hunt missions then CoH, so ends up coming across as shallow. I mean, sure. It's fun. But there is little depth to the villain groups. Even the low level only villain groups such as Lost, Skulls, and Hellions have backstory and lore which intertwines with the rest of City of Heroes. Vahzilok get their own overarching plot which concludes around level 20, if you stick with the Science based contacts. Hell, entire zones such as The Hollows have overarching story lines. Unlike Champions Online. It's hard to take it's stories seriously when there's such a distinct and sharp difference in villain group just by crossing a street. Not when CoH would have all the zone's villain groups intermingling, and sometimes even fighting each other in the streets.

No he wasn't and no, it doesn't. Champions is horrible.

I know that ragging on the man is considered great fun and has been for years. But while the game is shallow and gets boring fast, Champions did do several things right. The costume creator is just as good as the one in City of Heroes, and in some ways superior. Combat it's self can be fun and engaging. And the leveling system (if you have freeform builds) is a lot deeper then you'd initially expect. Travel powers are also something that was gotten right. I mean, sure it seems a bit weird for someone with a grapple line to attach it to the air and swing. But then again it wasn't that long ago that such 'swinging' mechanics were praised when used in games. The (original) crafting system was also interesting and useful.

The game is fun, just shallow. And before you start claiming that everything the man touches is horrible, remember that he was the lead developer for City of Heroes too. If you enjoy City of Heroes, then you have to acknowledge that Jack is able to make good games. After all, the game at it's core now is still the same as it was before Jack left to make Champions Online.

Just goes to show you. I thought the travel powers were excruciatingly bad. And no, CoH was transformed markedly after Jack left. As I said, his leaving was the best possible thing that could have happened to the game.

Teleport in CO was pretty clever although it was not cool that mobs in dungeons could attack and defeat you while you were phased out while using it.

Also, anyone remember how fun the one week open beta before launch was, or how much defenses were nerfed in the day one patch?

And no, CoH was transformed markedly after Jack left. As I said, his leaving was the best possible thing that could have happened to the game.

The things that made me certain that his vision of the game were his 'balance' concept that "three villains should be an even fight for one hero" and his view of 'fun' in a game being throwing himself at the end boss over and over again, getting defeated sometimes twenty or thirty times, until he discovered the one trick that you had to use to defeat the boss -- and trying to get that implemented all through CoH. As if the 'trick' wasn't going to get out on the Net five minutes after someone beats them. Once he left, the big fights had things you had to overcome, but there were always several different ways to do it. Much more satisfying to take the Big Bad down differently than the 'stock' solution. And CoH offered so many different things to try.

Ok, this might get me in trouble, but....

Do you know how good it feels to be able to fight about ED and it's effect on CoH.  I've missed all of this so God....damn....much.  Can we start a topic and complain about finding the last mob on a council map next?  None of this comment is sarcasm by the way, at least to me the worst most bitched about parts of this game are better then anything I've done in Neverwinter, or Black Desert, or any of the bazillion other games I've tried to fill the void with since the original shutdown.

Ok, this might get me in trouble, but....

Do you know how good it feels to be able to fight about ED and it's effect on CoH.  I've missed all of this so God....damn....much.  Can we start a topic and complain about finding the last mob on a council map next?  None of this comment is sarcasm by the way, at least to me the worst most bitched about parts of this game are better then anything I've done in Neverwinter, or Black Desert, or any of the bazillion other games I've tried to fill the void with since the original shutdown.

That got fixed years ago. Open your map, if there is only one or two enemies left or only one glowie left the location appears on the map.