Oldest player contest!

DoctorDitko

13 minutes ago, Monos King said:

That'd be interesting. What server was this?

That was on Virtue, my main in the day. I suffer occasional attacks of roleplaying.

(My Stormy used to pretend she was logging in from McMurdo City Antarctica. Why, I don't know. RPers gotta RP.) 

I'm on Torchbearer now because all my RL and Live friends wound up there.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

40 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

Mutants &Masterminds, Steve. You can throw all of the rest away.

I beg to differ. From a game design standpoint, Champs had the crown.

Now, it was a pain in the proverbial to run, but it was an almost Turing-complete game system.

(Disclaimer: I wrote a virus in Champions.*)

All it needed was a computer the help run it (too much math), but it got Champions Online instead.

* If anyone cares, it was a contagious telepathy, defined as Telepathy linked to a Transformation attack bought with the cumulative advantage. The more often you read someone's mind, the more likely you'd open the door in their brain and give them the power as well. It paid for itself with an automatic Hunted from shadowy agencies that don't like telepaths. Since the Transformation was only Person to Telepathic Person, it was pretty cheap. Gods, I'm such a geek!

Further disclaimer: I'm a recovering game designer. No, not any game you've heard of.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

7 minutes ago, Monos King said:

Virtue! That's crazy. I played on Freedom, but the same thing happened to me. I wonder if I can find the guys that yelled at me for exploring the map instead of killing Frostfire hahaha

Surfing the Frostfire map was a chief joy back in the day! Screw those guys!

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Pics. I want a Maine Coon so bad. English Mastiff was my favorite dog so far. Figure MC would be right up my alley.

They're most excellent cats... Or dogs wearing cat costumes... I swear Mei thinks she's a dog. 

Anyway, said-cat in somewhat-less-fluffy "summer skinny-mode". (She adds about 30% MOAR HAIR every winter. XD)

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

1st gen video gamer. (unless you count mainframe games like Bertie the Brain, Spacewar! or the first Star Trek game)

Played the Pong coin-op cocktail table game in Spring 1974, and the Magnavox Odyssey console at a kid's club I attended.

1st kid on the block to own an Atari 2600, which I still have with about 40 games, and it still works (though not currently hooked up).

mid-range of y'all at 53.  AARP thinks I'm old, though.

Hah.  Same age (53) and I used to have a 8 inch floppy with the original Star Trek game for IBM system 34/36/38 systems.  Just found my old Atari Computer in the basement.  Too bad I don't have any of the floppies or cartridges that go with it anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Remember the Sister Flame stories?

No. What did I miss?

3 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Pics. I want a Maine Coon so bad. English Mastiff was my favorite dog so far. Figure MC would be right up my alley.

Find one.  They're very dog-like, as @Coyotedancer mentioned.  They adore being handled, hugged and rough petting.  Very playful, even when they're old, and just as delighted to sit in your lap quietly when you're not in a playful mood (they purr up a storm and drool a bit, just from the sheer delight of being close to you).  Friendly with everyone, including small children, and they're not averse to a little rough handling.  They know they're big cats and can take it.  They'll even chase dogs, though it's strictly play, they're not aggressive.  Just be aware, they're not small animals.  Maine Coons are the largest cat breed, they can grow up to 20+ pounds.  And whatever you're doing, they'll want to "help"... which typically translates to sitting on your workspace, purring and giving you "I love you" eyes.  They're one of the most intelligent breeds, too.  They can figure out how to turn a knob and open a door.  They'll actually pat you to tell you they want to be petted, or pull your hand onto their head and rub up against your palm.  They are, in my experience, the most loving breed.  They love you and expect you to love them back, and they express that affection through as much physical contact as possible, and expect you to do the same.  If you want a lapdogcat, this is it.

An alternative would be a Savannah cat.  They're also dog-like.  They enjoy walking on a leash, they fetch and they're VERY active.  Unparalleled loyalty.  They'll follow you to the depths of Tartarus and back, and they won't go far from your side when you're in the same room, except to play (again, VERY active breed) and for biological necessity (litter box, food).  They're also fascinated with water (water bowls tend to double as kitty pools for Savannahs).  They're not snugglers like Maine Coons, but they crave any attention you give them and will tolerate being held without putting up a struggle, as long as you're letting them face whatever direction they choose (Jessica likes to sit on my arm, monorail cat style, watching the valley while we stand on the porch).  They also grow large, but they're longer, leaner and taller than Maine Coons, not as bulky.  The big caveat with Savannahs is that they need to play.  They don't want to play, they NEED to play.  You have to spend some time every day playing with them, primarily giving them something to chase.  Catching the toy is a secondary consideration for them, it's the chase that they need.  If you don't keep them chasing something for a while every day, they'll start climbing the walls, literally, looking for something to chase, and 3 a.m. is prime time as far as they're concerned.  They're also very intelligent.  When Jessica wants to play, she selects a toy, takes it to one of the areas she's decided is her play space, and pats the toy to tell me that it's time.  She couldn't be any more blunt and direct if she shouted "PLAY TIME NAO" in English.

Even these generalizations fall short of how remarkable these two breeds are.  They're both very, very intelligent, and every individual has unique traits.  My Maine Coon, for example, couldn't get enough of whatever I was eating, which included some really odd things for a cat, like apples, plums and pistachios.  My half-Savannah, on the other hand, won't even lick the plate, regardless of what I've had on it, but she stands up on her hind legs and expresses excitement at dry cat food.

You can't go wrong with either of these breeds.  Even half-breeds retain defining characteristics from the Maine Coon or Savannah lines.  Pure bred kittens or adopted shelter cats, you just can't make a bad choice with them.  They're amazing, incredible companions and friends.  The greatest gift you could possibly give yourself is a friend like a Maine Coon or Savannah.  They'll love you every second of their lives, and you'll love them more every day, and be endlessly fascinated with their minds and personalities and entertained and comforted by their presence.

One warning, though.  Once you let them into your heart, you're setting yourself up for the worst grief you'll ever experience.  They don't live forever.  I learned that the hardest way.  It's been 8 years since I lost my Maine Coon and I still struggle with the grief.  They're that... intense, in every way.  They crawl right into your soul and make themselves a part of you, and when they're gone, the world is the darkest place imaginable.  Be ready for that, and plan to get another as quickly as possible after he/she passes.  It's the only thing that helps, which is another thing I learned the hardest way.  But I wouldn't trade one second of my time with my Maine Coon, no matter how much I miss him now, and I wouldn't trade one second of my time with my half-Savannah either, despite knowing that I'll be absolutely destroyed when she dies (fortunately, she's barely over a year old, so that day is far in the future).

For dog-like companion cats, there's nothing comparable to Maine Coons and Savannahs, but really, any cat is a worthwhile friend.  There are plenty of shelter cats and strays just waiting for someone to love them, and I think you have a lot of love waiting to be shared.  Don't just think about getting a cat, Bill, go out and do it.  Don't stress about which cat or what breed, the cat will choose you and you'll know it when it happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Oh, man.

I know what you mean. I'm hideously allergic to cats, but doglike cats sound amazing.

My late wife was a world-class rescuer, and for a while we had 16 dogs, 2 lizards, and a turtle.

I'm down to 9 dogs now, and they are all approaching 10 years old.

I had to bury two this year, in hard clay soil, and the effort was nothing compared to the grief.

I generally say, every dog comes with a heartbreak built in.

That said, please adopt dogs and cats if you can! Dogs have evolved along with us, and they need us to survive.

Cats? OK, them too. But don't let them kill birds.

Seriously.

They kill all the birds.

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Remember the Sister Flame stories?

How do I find this arc? My duck-duck-go fu is coming up with, in Harley's parlance, a whole lot of nothing.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Sounds like we need a new SG called "Geezers Unanimous." Anyone in?:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Just now, cranebump said:

Sounds like we need a new SG called "Geezers Unanimous." Anyone in?:-)

If it has a branch on Torchbearer, I'm up for a coalition!

1 minute ago, DoctorDitko said:

If it has a branch on Torchbearer, I'm up for a coalition!

Just need a nice, retro base. I'm not a builder, unfortunately.

And it would seem the heroes need to be Silver or Golden Age.:-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

51 here.  Not the oldest, but apparently part of a larger age bracket than I thought.

So cheers to all of you who:

1) Looked forward to spending Saturday mornings with Blackstar and Thundarr.

2) Watched Superfriends before the Wonder Twins.

3) Thought finding the secret room in "Adventure" was the COOLEST THING EVER.

4) Listened to anything on 8 track...including playing with something called 2XL.

And special respect to those that:

1) Played p&p Villians and Vigilantes

2) Know who Benu was, watched the show and can recall the movie the actor played a small but memorable role in.

3) Wanted to shout "CROMWELL!!!" in an English history class.

No incarnates for me yet, but definitely the Vahzilok wasting disease.

• Like 1

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

4 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

OK, I think I have a tongue-in-cheek test for antiquity:

1. Who won, Nikolai or Thomas?

2. Name Zeppo's brothers.

3. If Carol, Tim, and Harvey had a race, who would come in last?

4. Spike totally won what medium?

5. Where were you on July 20th, 1969 and why?

No fair googling, but if you do at least you'll learn something, you dadgum whippersnappers!

PS: I live in a log cabin, I don't have a lawn. But if I did...

1. Depends what you mean by "won". Thomas was more successful, but Nikolai invented cooler stuff.
  2. Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Gummo
  3. Tim
  4. Radio? Was never a Spike fan.
  5. Watching the moon landing on TV.

I'm only 57, but my mom is turning 100 in October.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

OK, “You’re in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike,” is in my blood, but Benu I don't know.

And, yes the damn Wonder Twins ruined an already marginal Super Friends.

(For some reason producers thought teen sidekicks should be a thing.)

I prefer my cartoons as teen-sidekick and producer-free as possible.

(cf. DCAU)

15 hours ago, Fire Chief said:

64 and sooooo much more...did I win 😄

I like that I'm not the oldest. Some days I do feel that way. (56 here)

Edited by KC4800
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I just did the Black Swan mission today with a group, and was explaining to them I had this exact mission on another server, and could never find Black Swan. 

They said I needed to use the targetenemynext command or something like that. I was like:

I'll never do that! I'm old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Uun for the win!

Tesla's AC won out over Edison's DC.

Spike Milligan had a radio show called the Goon Show that inspired basically everybody: Monty Python, Tom Lehrer, George Carlin, Firesign Theater, et al.

Well worth checking out: https://archive.org/search.php?query=goon show

Any time you want to team on Torch, I am your humble & ob't servant!

14 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

OK, “You’re in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike,” is in my blood, but Benu I don't know.

And, yes the damn Wonder Twins ruined an already marginal Super Friends.

(For some reason producers thought teen sidekicks should be a thing.)

I prefer my cartoons as teen-sidekick and producer-free as possible.

(cf. DCAU)

Google "The Phoenix" for Benu. It's a niche show that was terribly cheesey and barely a season. But you can track the actor to the best OG "Star Trek" movie.

Hated the Wonder Twins. Despised that dang monkey too. 

Water Damage - Water/Ice Blaster

Atom Bum -  Rad/Fire Brute
Abyssal - Titan Weapon/Bio Scrapper
Razer's Edge - Katana/Bio Brute

They did some sly parodies of all that stuff in the last season of Justice League Unlimited.

Watching the Wonder Twins get beat down was a treat!

41 minutes ago, Argent Aegis said:

51 here.  Not the oldest, but apparently part of a larger age bracket than I thought.

So cheers to all of you who:

1) Looked forward to spending Saturday mornings with Blackstar and Thundarr.

2) Watched Superfriends before the Wonder Twins.

3) Thought finding the secret room in "Adventure" was the COOLEST THING EVER.

4) Listened to anything on 8 track...including playing with something called 2XL.

And special respect to those that:

1) Played p&p Villians and Vigilantes

2) Know who Benu was, watched the show and can recall the movie the actor played a small but memorable role in.

3) Wanted to shout "CROMWELL!!!" in an English history class.

No incarnates for me yet, but definitely the Vahzilok wasting disease.

A year or so ago, I bought a 2XL off of Ebay.  Works beautifully.  Got tapes as well.  Plays 8 track music too, which is something I didn't know.  I remembered some of the questions, jokes and quips.  Please press A, B or C now!  Showed it to my niece who was 12 at the time (14 now).  Kept her interest for a few minutes before she went back to her phone to watch other people play games.