Do you discord during TFs?

Lunchmoney

On 9/8/2020 at 3:39 AM, Ironblade said:

Get yourself a headset so you can join people on Discord and *TYPE* to them that you have a sleeping baby so you can't talk. 

A headset would stop me hearing the baby if he should wake (should also mention I'm deaf in one ear). Defeating one of the points of playing with the speakers off.

• Like 2

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

4 hours ago, EmmySky said:

If you ever imagine a voice to go with any of my girls, imagine deep texas drawl, barely understandable to normal folk, full of local coloquialisms and old family sayings.  That'll just about hit the nail on the head.  And it explains yet another reason I don't discord, y'all wouldn't understand me.

I think hearing that would be a hoot n a holler. 🙂

• Haha 1

My and my VG mates used vent back on live and now use teamspeak. All of us with the exception of one do not team with anyone else we only team with each other.

I wont use Discord as I found out yesterday what it is and find it intrusive and overreaching.

If I do TF's its either solo or with my VG, I find I'm rather judgmental of people and it would ruin mine and their experiences if we were teamed together. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Generally I only use voice chat in a couple of cases. Primarily, if I'm just sitting in a voice channel with a bunch of my buddies while we play sometimes the same game, sometimes everyone playing their own. With total strangers, though, I only use voice comms if extremely quick comms are necessary, but this doesn't apply to CoH.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

My group is on Discord almost every time we play.  Makes it more fun for us, and lets us coordinate if needed, but mostly we're just chatting.

I almost never team outside that group these days, but if there were more people that used voice casually as a social thing, I might team with others more.

all these excuses to not use discord is dumb, just tell people you are too shy or dont know how. seriously you can easily keep one earphone off if you need to hear real world sounds.  most of the rest of these excuses are silly, i am sorry if this offends people but once you find a group of people with similar interests, discord or otherwise it makes the entire experience better.

• Confused 2

On 9/16/2020 at 4:26 PM, Chrome said:

all these excuses to not use discord is dumb, just tell people you are too shy or dont know how. seriously you can easily keep one earphone off if you need to hear real world sounds.  most of the rest of these excuses are silly, i am sorry if this offends people but once you find a group of people with similar interests, discord or otherwise it makes the entire experience better.

I'm not offended but I don't agree that it makes my play experience better.  I tried it with Roll20, Neverwinter Nights, ect.  I didn't like it.  Understand, I'm mainly an RP'er, and most human beings (including myself) are atrocious voice actors.  On the the other hand, I'm a dab hand at keyboarding and know how to turn a phrase, so using the in-game chat is more pleasurable experience for me.

Clearly, you have the opposite experience, and that's just fine- even though the two of us would not enjoy playing together, for the same reason. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 2:26 PM, Chrome said:

Dude... I like opera. 

Do you honestly think the people I'm playing with,  generally speaking, want to listen to me blaring Cosi Fan Tutte while we're kicking Romulus' butt?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

12 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

Dude... I like opera. 

Do you honestly think the people I'm playing with,  generally speaking, want to listen to me blaring Cosi Fan Tutte while we're kicking Romulus' butt?

I would love that. 

But rather than listen to it through someone else’s microphone, I’ll just queue up my own copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

I thought you meant the browser at first, @Coyotedancer.

But, uh  . . . well . . . maybe not Cosi Fan Tutte, but Duo des Fleurs instead?

A good pick. That duet is just gorgeous...

• Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Not opera, but one of my all-time favourite pieces (and an incredible rendition of it in this particular recording):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W4PJUOeVYw

Buuuuuut back on topic:   It's true that a lot of VOIP software offer users the power to mute individual users, or even tweak volume levels on a per user basis . . . but that doesn't solve problems like people making really uncomfortable sounds between moments of speech.

I use Teamspeak pretty extensively for my virtual tabletop roleplaying games.  Some of my peers record our sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm7nmDMdjAo

As an example, the guy who recorded this session constantly burps and coughs during some of the recordings.  It's not some silly excuse when someone says they don't want to be subjected to that; it's a legitimate concern.  As are all of there personal reasons, frankly.  Personal preferences are valid by their very nature of being -personal.-

• Like 1

I *do* like playing online games with old friends, especially in today's environment, and we will usually set up a Zoom meeting.  But we're almost exclusively BS-ing, and there is nothing that is so complex that it needs to be coordinated in real time in audio.  The idea of running missions with voice seems unnecessary to me, and I'd rather BS with CoX people through pithy (and occasionally witty) chats.

Who run Bartertown?

I team with a lot of the same friends. We all belong to a specific Discord group. We never type if it is just us, but if we are leading an itrial or something we type since there are people not in discord with us. We don't just invite people to the Discord because we are a close group of people and only invite people we team with often. We also have different discords for other games we play: Dead by Daylight, Fall Guys, Among Us.. etc 🙂

On 9/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Chrome said:

This sort of response will not get anyone to consider using discord who already has reason not to. At best it is an insulting dismissal of player preferences that don’t align with yours. 

There is absolutely nothing in CoH that requires voice chat. Nothing. Although I don’t use discord I am not unfamiliar with voice chat in games and I find it at best unnecessary in most cases, and at worst completely distracting and annoying. Also, it doesn’t matter what reason people have for not using voice chat. They are playing the game for their own enjoyment and are allowed to have whatever preference they so choose for whatever reason. 

Sorry if it offends you, but some people just don’t like voice chat in games. You need to realize not everyone is the same as you and learn to respect others choice in how they pursue their own enjoyment of the game. If you like voice chat, then use it. Those who don’t like it are free to do what they like as well. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 9/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, Lunchmoney said:

A headset would stop me hearing the baby if he should wake (should also mention I'm deaf in one ear). Defeating one of the points of playing with the speakers off.

Okay, impaired hearing is definitely a problem.

However, for your info and others, a headset does not automatically prevent you from hearing things around you.

Headsets are made with 'open cup' and 'closed cup' designs.  They often look similar, but open cup headsets leave your ears 'open' to the air and don't block ambient noises.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Normal PUGs? I can't say I actually ever have. Not even a "hey, we're on discord, feel free to join."

SG iTrials? Yes, many times. 

Pre-planned "record" speed task forces where we're all trying to get the fastest times possible? I have. 

My view on voice in discord as someone who has an unmistakably "Cali girl" voice, is that it is a necessary evil sometimes. I learn to gauge who is emotionally charging/inappropriate and avoid those individuals or having to engage with them in my play time. The game is first and foremost about having fun, I am not a customer service representative and never have been. I have received unwarranted advances that I have not reciprocated before. My advice if the person is not imperative to the group is to A. learn as much as you possibly can about the activity to not need directions and ask leaders beforehand if there is anything you should know B. Right click that person's name in the call and use the slide feature to turn their volume to as low as possible. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:58 AM, Ironblade said:

Headsets are made with 'open cup' and 'closed cup' designs.  They often look similar, but open cup headsets leave your ears 'open' to the air and don't block ambient noises.

I did not know that, thanks, learned something new today 👍

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:54 PM, Grindingsucks said:

Understand, I'm mainly an RP'er, and most human beings (including myself) are atrocious voice actors. 

Ive often wondered why a voice chat software didnt take advantage of this.  Let me make my voice sound like a dwarf or elf.  Id be more likely to rp on voice if it didnt sound like me.  

Im quiet till ya get to know me.  Then you cant shut me up.

• Like 1

i mean 90% of these issues can be solved by using push to talk, i dont want to hear anyones back ground while they are not speaking and in my own discord i enforce the use of ptt.  i agree that chewing noises and overly loud music can be annoying, but with ptt those things are drastically reduced.  

and in regards to having unwarranted advances and what not or even insults/bully behavior. that is something that can be minimized, if you were in my discord all you would have to do is tell me, and i would remove the individual. the trick is to join a group is suits your personality and social standards.  as in any where there are jerks, perverts and morons. i recently joined a discord where the person who owned it was toxic AF, after a few minutes of adjustment, i opted out of that discord and deleted it from my list. this of course wont prevent these behaviors from happening, but will limit your exposure to them.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:26 PM, Chrome said:

I don't need an excuse, I don't want to, and frankly I don't need to. All I do is pve and I know all of the content now. If this bothers you, that's your problem. 

Usually the only time I go in discord is for a weekly rhw with some specific folks, and even then I only join because it's mandatory and since it's so short, I don't really mind.

Nobody's ever said anything in it that I've actually needed to hear.

Same for record attempts etc, I might join now and then if I'm asked to, but if I genuinely needed to hear anybody saying anything, I would not belong on such a run.

I want to be able to take phone calls, or talk with my family irl, or I want to listen to music or podcasts. I've let my kids listen to what they want for their entire lives, they're finally in their own houses now, and I have decades of music to catch up on. I'd rather not play at all then constantly have to listen to redundant bs for a game that was created without voicechat.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2020 at 4:26 PM, Chrome said:

This game isn't remotely hard enough to require that nonsense. People are under no obligation to use some third party program because you cant be bothered to read chat or specify that it is a discord only group when advertising for people to join your team. I say this as someone who uses it with friends, but hard pass on joining discord for some rando pug. 

Edited by Bossk_Hogg
  • Like 5