Update from the Homecoming Team (April 26th): Excelsior!

Jimmy

Quick question/comment - I had a toon on Torchbearer. I was leveling her up. Stepped away from the game for a few hours. Came back and the toon was gone. I don't have her. Recreate her again, and am told that the name has been taken. Did I just lose a toon?!?!?!?!

Yes. Don’t get super attached to your toons. Rumor is that it might pop back up.

Quick question/comment - I had a toon on Torchbearer. I was leveling her up. Stepped away from the game for a few hours. Came back and the toon was gone. I don't have her. Recreate her again, and am told that the name has been taken. Did I just lose a toon?!?!?!?!

Yes. Don’t get super attached to your toons. Rumor is that it might pop back up.

I get that there's probably going to be a wipe.

In any case, I'm just happy that people stepped up to do what they are doing, and reviving this game. Kudos and many, many thanks to you!

I'm an 'old man' now but was in my 20's when I was given my first gift subscription to CoH back in 2005.  I had played WoW but couldn't get into it - The CoH community was always the friendliest and most mature crowd.  Broke my heart when they shut it down, but having logged in [with actual NPCs and tons of fellow players!] again after all of these years has brought me back in time...  I get that my sole hero might get wiped - again - but it's WORTH IT.

I have already made 10 toons, the thing I missed so much about this game is the possibilities it provided for us "alt-oholics".  I sat in the queue last night for over an hour and a half before being able to play and it was worth every second.  Thanks again for bringing this back to us.

I just want to thank you all for your hardwork and thank this community for being awesome. This game went down soon after my father passed away, and it was instrumental in helping me keep my head afloat. I've been able to reconnect with one of my best internet friends to play this again after all this time and couldn't be happier. Now I'm trying to convince my fiancee to join in on the fun, hah. Thanks and please let me know if there's anything I can do. Donations, free pizza, someone to guard the server room with their lives, you name it!

Why the heck can’t the owners of these IPs just open a kickstarter???

I’ve seen some of the donations people put in and out of over 20,000 people there’s going to be at least ONE person who could fund a legit server for years.  Sub out the support staff and be done with it. 

There’s an established audience ready to fork over good money ffs...just take it and get it done already.

I’ve seen some of the donations people put in and out of over 20,000 people there’s going to be at least ONE person who could fund a legit server for years.  Sub out the support staff and be done with it. 

There’s an established audience ready to fork over good money ffs...just take it and get it done already.

Because accepting money for what is basically stolen property is kind of illegal? :P

Because accepting money for what is basically stolen property is kind of illegal? :P

I said the owners of the IP. NC Soft in this case.

The game was running a profit when NCSoft killed it in the first place.  They just didn't want to keep running it, but also didn't want to give up the IP, so they refused to sell.

Then sell the IP. I’d donate to that. I don’t know what the operating costs are on running servers with no content development but it’s obviously affordable out of pocket. Without a billing dept, legal and marketing fees, things aren’t likely to get out of hand.

Part of why crowdfunding works better than the sub model is it only takes a few donors with deep pockets as opposed to thousands of subbers who only contribute pocket change every month.

I just look at MMOs like Pantheon and how 5 years later how difficult (and expensive) it apparently is to build a game from scratch. CoH is done and has a pretty big audience.

Then sell the IP. I’d donate to that. I don’t know what the operating costs are on running servers with no content development but it’s obviously affordable out of pocket. Without a billing dept, legal and marketing fees, things aren’t likely to get out of hand.

There was an organized fan effort to try and buy rights to continue COX during the last like, half, of the three-month "the game is going to close", and as I recall, NCSoft didn't want to come to the table to treat, or at least not in any form that would have let the game continue.

• 1 month later