If you could radically overhaul 1 thing....

Galaxy Brain

47 minutes ago, Apogee said:

Did I miss something? Not a single call to nerf regen yet? For shame y'all, for shame.

TL;DR

nerf Regen

They said "radically overhaul," not "tuesday."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just now, Giovanni Valia said:

Buff Regen.

So... Regen makes your costume disappear?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

a lot of brilliant ideas... some I never even dreamed that I need. Let me see if I can throw in something to the pot... 

Not a big revamp, but I suppose could entail some work: make team missions affect every member. My idea here is when I team, only the leader gets the NPC dialogue (even with TFs), only the leader gets credit for completing the arc, and usually only the leader gets the reward merits (except TFs). For example, If I team with someone who's doing say Twinshot's arc, then I get to read the major NPC dialogue as if I was the leader. At least make it an option to be able to view it along with the leader. (on the other side of the table, make an option to turn off or skip cut scenes, I can almost recite Romy's by heart).

Also, get credit for completing the contact mission. If I run Marchand's missions with someone, I shouldn't have to redo them for myself when I do his arc. Maybe that should have prerequisite that I do have that mission up... something like that. It will make it seem that the leader and I are actually doing the mission together, not just me riding piggy-back as a hired hand. Similarly, Tip missions should chalk one down to my tip mission completion -- going for Vigi choices but teamed with someone who was doing Hero choices, too bad, you get +1 to your hero counter instead.

That and a Personal Min FX Stealth setting. I spent some time creating that costume, I'd very much like to be able to see it instead of it being hidden from me. This is the biggest reason why I don't play Stalkers. I can be translucent/transparent to everyone else's view, but I want to see my toon. 

Edited by Six Six
  • Like 7

I'd want to make the outdoor city zones to feel as interesting and rewarding as missions. Make the zones really respond to how players interact with them, having all sorts of random events happening all the time, encouraging big teams to street sweep and explore the world in interesting ways. I'd  want to do away with how enemy groups spawn neutrally all over the place in weird little groups and have them a lot more responsive to how players are inhabiting the zone. Make it always worth the player's time to stop and prevent whatever crime/do-gooding is happening and for doing to to feel like it has an impact on the state of the zone.

[edit: I just read this back to myself and I don't know what that last sentence was meant to say. I had just woken up.]

Edited by Lines
  • Like 7

Okay, to be honest, I haven't read the entire thread, I wanted to type up my idea before it ran away from my brain, so if its been listed, sowwies!

All zones open to any alignment.  It doesn't make sense that villains are NOT in Paragon City. It doesn't make sense that heroes are NOT in the Rogue Isles. 

I can see keeping goldside separate because that's a penance you have to pay for choosing it its an alternate something or other.  Plus, if you are red or blue you can use pocket D to go to goldside and help out the folks there.

But lets allow villains and heroes to intermingle, without requiring an alignment change and without the 'kick from team' if you accidentally zone to your supergroup base before you remember you can't do that because you're a vigilante.

This would open up a lot of the teaming limitations we have now, such as 'nobody on redside to team with' when all the sudden, Azuria sends you to Port Oakes to find her pantihose!  I am not entirely sure how heroes and villains teaming up on the same team would work, perhaps making alignment solely an RP thing, leave it to the player to decide if their villainous murderer would save Atlas or not.  I mean, as it stands now, people will switch alignment at the drop of a hat in order to join teams, so if the mission doors may end up red or blue, this would go a long way to resolving the issues that people keep trying to 'draw people in' to redside zones.

How difficult would it be to proliferate random door spawning to include opposite faction zones as well as your own?  How difficult would it be to get rid of all those 'you cannot enter here because you are the wrong alignment' gates?

Okay, second honest moment, I'm still not quite entirely awake, i'm awake by my eyes are still groggy, so anything that doesn't make exact sense, just pretend it does, please 😄

• Like 7

2 hours ago, EmmySky said:

I am not entirely sure how heroes and villains teaming up on the same team would work, perhaps making alignment solely an RP thing, leave it to the player to decide if their villainous murderer would save Atlas or not.  I mean, as it stands now, people will switch alignment at the drop of a hat in order to join teams, so if the mission doors may end up red or blue, this would go a long way to resolving the issues that people keep trying to 'draw people in' to redside zones.

I mean there are some of folks who don't use Null to switch alignments, and just switch characters if a friend on the opposite side needs help.

That said, I'm on board with the basic idea, even if I still want alignments to exist and be distinct.

But I would like to separate "Alignment" from "Where You Can Go".

I'd love for there to be Redside contacts in every Blueside zone.  Strategically placed around Warehouses and Back Alleys. Not next to Miss Liberty or Blue Steel.

I'd love for there to be Blueside contacts in every Redsize zone.  Again, with some consideration of the neighborhoods. 

I wouldn't object to an actual Villain being Kill-On-Sight to certain NPC's in blue zones, and I wouldn't object to an actual Hero being Kill-On-Sight to certain NPC's in red zones (if only because said redside NPC's are sure you didn't come here just for the fine dining and ocean views, you're probably here to try to arrest them),  But by the same token, Officer Vic Johannsen (sp?) of King's Row?  Good dude and all, but I mean, it just wouldn't make sense for him to try to go all "There can be only one!" against Venom, and Billy Heck of Port Oakes is not about to go after Thor. Has to be some discretion in Kill-On-Sightness.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I wouldn't object to an actual Villain being Kill-On-Sight to certain NPC's in blue zones, and I wouldn't object to an actual Hero being Kill-On-Sight to certain NPC's in red zones (if only because said redside NPC's are sure you didn't come here just for the fine dining and ocean views, you're probably here to try to arrest them),  But by the same token, Officer Vic Johannsen (sp?) of King's Row?  Good dude and all, but I mean, it just wouldn't make sense for him to try to go all "There can be only one!" against Venom, and Billy Heck of Port Oakes is not about to go after Thor. Has to be some discretion in Kill-On-Sightness.

I'd object to that strongly. 

Although I do like the idea of 'all zones for all players' something like this would just be obnoxious.

"Sorry guys. I can't make it to this mission... Auto-Hostile Overpowered Contact NPCs X, Y and Z are being jerk-asses. I've been killed three times just trying to cross the zone to get to the door-" is pretty much the complete opposite of fun. <_<

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Actually, I'd like access to branching dialogue for AE mishes. It would be nice to split up some of the text, and to offer different choices/outcomes. Trying to nudge everything into 1000-character boxes doesn't allow for much development. Just ran Shauna Braun arc, and, dialogue-wise, it appears quicker because the text is spread among many screens, which keeps to a rule I recall for email: "All relevant text in the window without scrolling." I tend to use every character I have just to advance story/plot. Spreading it out with be better for the player (if not more work for me, but I'd enjoy the opportunity to try). 

And, of course, more AE slots for SFMA writers (though you can normally get a few more by request).

• Like 5

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I'm very pleased with being able to do the old Outbreak tutorial again, but I miss being able to alternate between Galaxy City and Atlas Park for my new characters. So I'd ditch that (IMO) godawful Galaxy City tutorial and restore Galaxy City to its former -- or rebuilt! -- glory. Alternately, maybe expand the tutorial zone version into a full-fledged low level zone with new contacts and missions, and something along the lines of the DFB thing in Atlas Park.

I'd also restore the original Dark Astoria, but give it some story arcs and a Task Force. The Incarnate version would still be available for Incarnates, with the option to choose which version you wanted to enter at the Talos Island gate.

And one more thing! I'd restore the pointy ears head!

• Like 5

I would like to have the OPTION of NOT getting a power at the higher levels. I would like to be able to get 3 more slots or the power. I have some "higher" level powers that I just took and then almost NEVER use them, yet I am slot poor on some I use very often. I am reminded of the saying  "Less is More"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lines said:

I'd want to make the outdoor city zones to feel as interesting and rewarding as missions. Make the zones really respond to how players interact with them, having all sorts of random events happening all the time, encouraging big teams to street sweep and explore the world in interesting ways. I'd  want to do away with how enemy groups spawn neutrally all over the place in weird little groups and have them a lot more responsive to how players are inhabiting the zone. Make it always worth the player's time to stop and prevent whatever crime/do-gooding is happening and for doing to to feel like it has an impact on the state of the zone.

[edit: I just read this back to myself and I don't know what that last sentence was meant to say. I had just woken up.]

I'd go with this. I like street sweeping, especially for getting defeat badges. 

1) Quadruple the bonus influence you get for saving someone (or getting the one that runs away), and this is added even with P2W change of XP gain because it's not the normal influence you get for defeating the enemy.

2) Have the security officer of the zone give out repeatable missions for street sweeping, but it's random on the number needed: from 5 to 20, with starting at 5 there's a (low) random chance the enemy defeated divulges the information you are after and 20 is guaranteed (the chance increases with each enemy defeated). This can lead to an indoor mission (e.g., you learned where the kidnappee is being held, you learn of a pawn shop or jewelry shop robbery is about to take place, or where said robbers after the fact is hiding and stashing their loot). This could also give a Tip mission if you don't already have 3.

3) Have some NPC be an informant for your character, which could also lead to some of the same missions from 2 (but he might not always have it, which could be annoying I realize, but then go see the security officer). Yeah, some contacts are of that vein, but this one is variable to the character (more than origin variability). I guess this is like Tip missions, but I like the personal touch more than the near abstraction of how Tip missions are gained now.

4) Make more Tip missions, even for levels less than 20. I don't know why they made 20 the lower limit.

edit: I forgot about the detectives of each zone.. but who doesn't want more options? 😄

Also, to create the interesting NPC contacts and cut down on develop time (hopefully) have a contest for players to make said characters with dialogue. This would make them more distinctive than having one or two devs create them. 

Edited by gamingglen
add ideas
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I mean there are some of folks who don't use Null to switch alignments, and just switch characters if a friend on the opposite side needs help.

That said, I'm on board with the basic idea, even if I still want alignments to exist and be distinct.

But I would like to separate "Alignment" from "Where You Can Go".

I'd love for there to be Redside contacts in every Blueside zone.  Strategically placed around Warehouses and Back Alleys. Not next to Miss Liberty or Blue Steel.

I'd love for there to be Blueside contacts in every Redsize zone.  Again, with some consideration of the neighborhoods.

Yes, that's what I meant....alignment not limiting your available locations.  Words are hard before the first cuppa coffee 😝  Reference to 'RP only' would be to allow them to join a Posi even as a villain, you make that choice for if your character would do that or not, and why (the beginnings of a nefarious plan).  Basically let all the people do all the things if they so choose, but yes keep contacts alignment based.  So villain cant start Posi but can join in, and not be kicked when using SG base as a shortcut.

And sure lets add contacts in opposing zones to carry through the theme.

I do think police drones or the redside equivalent should zap you based on alignment, make your forays into zones more tactical and strategic, but I dont think NPCs should have kill orders.  Lets let the other guys level up, it'll be alright.

Edited by EmmySky
  • Like 3

Well, if -anything-, I'd port this over to a updated graphics engine which was also x64 and used more cores.

In game, I'd take a shot at end game.  i'd add an OPTIONAL gear treadmill.  Optional.  As in you don't have to do it.  I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea, but more options is better than less IMO.

Edited by Xeres
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

We get giant monsters in certain zones at certain times. What about costumed villains? In the open world. Like a bank robbery, only you see the aftermath of the villain engaging the PPD or Longbow and can simply jump in. Sure there are hazard zones, where you can encounter the various gangs of Paragon in their coordinated outfits doing gang things, but costumed villains seem to be relegated to instances. I'd like to see more random events in the open world. 

We (sort of) have a taste of this with the zig breakout, syndicate, protester, etc. events. And with GMs showing up at various times. This would not be a bad idea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Still gangs in coordinated outfits, not costumed villains.

.... riiiiight, which is why I said what you mentioned would not be a bad idea.  We have mechanics in game that could be used to allow for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krimson said:

If you can spawn Eochai or Jack in Irons in the Portal Corp parking lot, you can spawn Marauder outside a bank.

I'm not sure why you seem to be arguing with me when I'm agreeing that "yes, that should be doable and not a bad idea." Which I've said multiple times.

3 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Flagging appropriate doors would be one of the many aspects to development of this sort of content.   Ideally no mission would ever put you in range of a Police Drone or Trainer while invading a zone.

Doors. MAKE THE GORRAM DOORS CLICKABLE regardless of whether they are open or not! ALL DOORS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think zone system could use some rework as well. Mobs don't respawn they are sent to brickhouse jail. All of them. No more repeated names appearing on missions. No more outdoor spawns. At least until they get out of brickhouse. Which they get out if Brickhouse jail event failed or take too long.