Jump to content
Neogumbercules

Page 6 predictions!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Not many people noticed, but this billboard was defaced for a while. Those were some dark days.

Anyway, allow me to assist with your predictions:

  • The letter Q (currently) appears in the patch notes 9 times.
  • The word cartographer appears once.
  • Only one genre of music is referenced.

I hope you have found this helpful.

The patch notes starting with "QQQQQQQQQ" is just mean and misleading

Edited by Galaxy Brain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

What's the point of anything on the internet without internet arguments? 

 

Porn.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

I've grown tired of waiting. My SG/Discord groups have put CoH on hold and we are playing other games. We understand the team is small. We understand covid has affected the team's ability. What we don't understand is how it has been 6 months and no real information about anything in Page 6 has been shared. These clues and riddles are irritating to people who just want to know the basics of what to expect. I played from launch to sunset (beta tested from Issue 6 to 24)...and have never felt so frustrated at the lack of any information. I love CoH, but the dwindling population...and interest...from players is evident. It's a niche game... with a niche player base. Failing to keep the players interested...or informed... is putting a lot of players off of HC. I won't go to another server, but at this rate... I also won't be playing and definitely not donating until actual information is provided. 

 

Sorry if this seems "angry." but I am irritated that the game I love is dying again because the team refuses to keep people up to date with actual information. Our SGs and Discords are becoming ghost towns because people are moving on to other games; who frankly do a better job of engaging and keeping their players updated. 

 

Before you waste your breath replying to me.... just know I posted this for me. To help with my frustration. I'm not going to get into internet arguments over this. I'm not going to actually do anything further in this thread. Maybe someone will actually see this from HC and look at the numbers and see "oh yeah damn we are losing a lot of people" and maybe just maybe they will realize that while we are willing to wait 6-7-8-9-10 months for a Page... what people grow tired of is... being kept in the dark. 

 

I'll post again once real information on Page 6 is provided... otherwise... like almost all of my friends... I'll be off playing other games. 

Honestly, you're right.

 

We went for the whole structure of doing small pages instead of big issues specifically so we could have more frequent updates, as we just wouldn't be able to put bigger updates out frequently with the limited resources we have available if we wanted to maintain the quality bar we've set.

 

Unfortunately though a crapton of stuff has happened this year to slow everything down. The stars all aligned in really bad ways.

 

Getting a good, stable release out relies on a window of sustained, simultaneous availability from several people in order to prepare for and then make good use of the public testing cycle (if we iterate too slowly during the public testing window, interest wanes and bug reports slow down - this happened with Page 5 4). That's just not been possible for a big chunk of this year, but it does have the silver lining of a large amount of stuff piling up over the last few months. It's probably going to be our biggest release yet for that reason.

 

In the future I think we'd all like to see smaller more frequent updates. I remember thinking that after Page 5 - that got a bit big and slow as well.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 13

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the team discussed chunking Page 6 up and getting the stuff that's in the best position out now, and delaying other stuff until Page 7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Has the team discussed chunking Page 6 up and getting the stuff that's in the best position out now, and delaying other stuff until Page 7?

A few smaller things have already been pulled out, yes. There's not much else we'd be able to pull out that would really speed stuff up at this point.

  • Thanks 4

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this sounds suspiciously like a metaphoric reference to slicing up that deep dish pizza, with it's thick, crunchy, golden brown crust and piles of toppings, and then distributing it to everyone except me and pretending there was no pizza in the first place.

 

Don't toy with my emotions like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no Pizza.  Just Casserole.  

 

 

 

And Pineapples.

😝

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

T4     TankYou  :  JAQ  :  T.Jones  :  SunshineSky  :  JaqMacPratt  :  PrestigeSky  :  EmmySky  :  Madame Meltdown  :  CoffeeBean  :  SmurfYou  :  Mostly Human  :  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

There is no Pizza.  Just Casserole.  

 

 

 

And Pineapples.

😝

 

NO PENSION FOR YOU.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Honestly, you're right.

 

We went for the whole structure of doing small pages instead of big issues specifically so we could have more frequent updates, as we just wouldn't be able to put bigger updates out frequently with the limited resources we have available if we wanted to maintain the quality bar we've set.

 

Unfortunately though a crapton of stuff has happened this year to slow everything down. The stars all aligned in really bad ways.

 

Getting a good, stable release out relies on a window of sustained, simultaneous availability from several people in order to prepare for and then make good use of the public testing cycle (if we iterate too slowly during the public testing window, interest wanes and bug reports slow down - this happened with Page 5 4). That's just not been possible for a big chunk of this year, but it does have the silver lining of a large amount of stuff piling up over the last few months. It's probably going to be our biggest release yet for that reason.

 

In the future I think we'd all like to see smaller more frequent updates. I remember thinking that after Page 5 - that got a bit big and slow as well.

I agree with the quoted person's point regarding clues and riddles being irritating to a degree and also agree with Luminara's explanation as to why developers (in general) tend to keep quiet. That said, since we're seemingly getting closer to release, a general overview of the update and it's contents might be good info to drop at this point. Nothing specific like a list or even saying what has been changed or added, if you guys don't want to, but at least some kind of forward describing the aims and ideas leading into the patch. 

 

If not I'm just gonna assume regen is getting buffed and then just get mad when it gets nerfed again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Neogumbercules said:

If not I'm just gonna assume regen is getting buffed and then just get mad when it gets nerfed again. 

Less raising of the blood pressure if you just assume regen is getting nerfed again...and (a slim chance that) you can be pleasantly surprised if it isn't!  😁


T4     TankYou  :  JAQ  :  T.Jones  :  SunshineSky  :  JaqMacPratt  :  PrestigeSky  :  EmmySky  :  Madame Meltdown  :  CoffeeBean  :  SmurfYou  :  Mostly Human  :  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*instant healing has been reverted to a toggle. 

     * Instant healing will now automatically kill you when toggled on. 

Edited by Neogumbercules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Neogumbercules said:

I agree with the quoted person's point regarding clues and riddles being irritating to a degree and also agree with Luminara's explanation as to why developers (in general) tend to keep quiet. That said, since we're seemingly getting closer to release, a general overview of the update and it's contents might be good info to drop at this point. Nothing specific like a list or even saying what has been changed or added, if you guys don't want to, but at least some kind of forward describing the aims and ideas leading into the patch. 

 

If not I'm just gonna assume regen is getting buffed and then just get mad when it gets nerfed again. 

Something I should point out is that the clues / riddles aren't instead of a more comprehensive post. One of the developers simply wanted to have a little fun whilst working on their project.

 

Spoiler

Some of the hints are actually also... important... for something...

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jimmy said:whilst working on their project.

whilst

And now you know who usually writes the patch notes.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

My prediction is the ability to bid in stacks of ten thousand so market manipulation is easier.

Now we're talking. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

In the future I think we'd all like to see smaller more frequent updates. I remember thinking that after Page 5 - that got a bit big and slow as well.

I will never turn down new content, whether that's story arcs, whether thats changes to powersets, whether that's new features in base building or AE maps, etc.

 

That said, I've also learned quite a bit of patience in the 7 years I waited for this game to rise from it's grave. 

And I would much rather have a well prepared omelette than a plate with some raw eggs and a slice of cheese and some chopped ham and onions.

So if you NEED to take your time?  Do so.  I have no fear of the game "Dying" out from under us again if we don't get new shiny toys on a regular basis. 

 

Transparency is a good thing, but I get there's also the factor that this is a labor of love, and not a paying job, and people have families and other obligations as well.  I can understand that while I as an end user might very much appreaciated some kind of blog or posted notes from scrum sessions of who's been working on what lately, what's starting to look good, what didn't pan out and went back to the drawing board, what's been set aside into the "sorry guys, we tried but no" bucket.... as much as I'd like that....  I can understand that from the standpoint of the developers, that might just be BEGGIN for non-stop criticism and "why didn't you do this instead" and the always 'helpful' suggestions of people who've never read the code and don't get why some things are not straightforward.

 

So, if you guys WANT to do some kind of blog / weekly minutes update, whatever? I'll devour it, I'm sure so will many others.

But if you'd almost rather saw your legs off?  I get that too.  And I'm fine with it, if you prefer to keep things behind the scenes.

 

TL;DR   You Do You, I'm here for the duration.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

I've grown tired of waiting. My SG/Discord groups have put CoH on hold and we are playing other games. We understand the team is small. We understand covid has affected the team's ability. What we don't understand is how it has been 6 months and no real information about anything in Page 6 has been shared. These clues and riddles are irritating to people who just want to know the basics of what to expect. I played from launch to sunset (beta tested from Issue 6 to 24)...and have never felt so frustrated at the lack of any information. I love CoH, but the dwindling population...and interest...from players is evident. It's a niche game... with a niche player base. Failing to keep the players interested...or informed... is putting a lot of players off of HC. I won't go to another server, but at this rate... I also won't be playing and definitely not donating until actual information is provided. 

 

Sorry if this seems "angry." but I am irritated that the game I love is dying again because the team refuses to keep people up to date with actual information. Our SGs and Discords are becoming ghost towns because people are moving on to other games; who frankly do a better job of engaging and keeping their players updated. 

 

Before you waste your breath replying to me.... just know I posted this for me. To help with my frustration. I'm not going to get into internet arguments over this. I'm not going to actually do anything further in this thread. Maybe someone will actually see this from HC and look at the numbers and see "oh yeah damn we are losing a lot of people" and maybe just maybe they will realize that while we are willing to wait 6-7-8-9-10 months for a Page... what people grow tired of is... being kept in the dark. 

 

I'll post again once real information on Page 6 is provided... otherwise... like almost all of my friends... I'll be off playing other games. 

 

 

If we are to be honest new content will not be a panacea that makes players happy and/or increases their retention. A new arc, new missions, or a new power set will not breathe in months of extra gameplay to someone who has reached the end of their interest in the game.

 

I can say so because I'm there myself. The community is great, and I loved this past year of going nuts over the game up to even waking up earlier on my own (not setting an alarm for it) because I wanted to level something new. Leveling new characters with double XP was also a net -positive-. Slowing leveling is not something I feel that would have made me extra interested in playing as I would simply had abandoned projects earlier instead of reaching level 50 with them.

 

But over a year later (I have characters with 450+ days of offline) I can say I've done it all, leveled all I cared, played all I wished to play, and there is nothing much more to do. My friend list is empty, the roleplay crowd has thinned, and my interest in joining random persons to do random TFs is no longer there.

 

So I'm waiting for WoW's expansion next month and will be playing something new.

 

Please accept I'm not saying this out of pettyness and 'if only there had been more page releases!!!'. We can only do something so much before we are done with it. Playing the same game for more than a year is pretty damn good. The only game I've played for longer (two years in a row, not touching other games) was GW2 and it was because of the amazing game it turned out to be but mostly the amazing roleplay community that kept things going once the pew pew novelty wore off.

 

CoH is a great game in the current climate. Several years back I had left it, went to Champions Online for a while, grew bored with it, played WoW, grew bored with it, then came to check CoH, paid for a month, came in, looked around, got icked at the old graphics (THEM HAND MITTS!) and logged off after half an hour and didn't log again for the rest of the month I had just paid.

 

But the day of abundant MMO riches is past and the fact we can play CoH without a sub, and just log in at any moment and not worry because our gear and whatever current power mechanic is now several tiers late making catching up a hassle also is CoH's strength. We can always just log back in at any moment, not worry about 'wasting' a month's sub to play a few days in a month and just have our fun.

  • Like 1

@sovera in Everlasting - I love teaming up so hit me up.

 

Simple guide for newcomers. - Money making included among other things.

 

FIRE CLAWS! - Altitis cure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Something I should point out is that the clues / riddles aren't instead of a more comprehensive post. One of the developers simply wanted to have a little fun whilst working on their project.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Some of the hints are actually also... important... for something...

 

Was that another hint?

 

Was that another hint, Jimmy?!?

 

ALRIGHT, LET'S TANGO!


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Number Six said:

And now you know who usually writes the patch notes.

haha

 

My hints in this thread are completely unimportant and irrelevant. I was trying to stay on topic!


Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

haha

 

My hints in this thread are completely unimportant and irrelevant. I was trying to stay on topic!

Staying on topic is for the Suggestions and Feedback forum....here in General Discussion we are more stream of consciousness...its like timsey wimsey travel stuffs but makes less sense.

 

😝

 

*runs away before I get the big thumbs down*

  • Thanks 1

T4     TankYou  :  JAQ  :  T.Jones  :  SunshineSky  :  JaqMacPratt  :  PrestigeSky  :  EmmySky  :  Madame Meltdown  :  CoffeeBean  :  SmurfYou  :  Mostly Human  :  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sovera said:

 

 

If we are to be honest new content will not be a panacea that makes players happy and/or increases their retention. A new arc, new missions, or a new power set will not breathe in months of extra gameplay to someone who has reached the end of their interest in the game.

 

I can say so because I'm there myself. The community is great, and I loved this past year of going nuts over the game up to even waking up earlier on my own (not setting an alarm for it) because I wanted to level something new. Leveling new characters with double XP was also a net -positive-. Slowing leveling is not something I feel that would have made me extra interested in playing as I would simply had abandoned projects earlier instead of reaching level 50 with them.

 

But over a year later (I have characters with 450+ days of offline) I can say I've done it all, leveled all I cared, played all I wished to play, and there is nothing much more to do. My friend list is empty, the roleplay crowd has thinned, and my interest in joining random persons to do random TFs is no longer there.

 

So I'm waiting for WoW's expansion next month and will be playing something new.

 

Please accept I'm not saying this out of pettyness and 'if only there had been more page releases!!!'. We can only do something so much before we are done with it. Playing the same game for more than a year is pretty damn good. The only game I've played for longer (two years in a row, not touching other games) was GW2 and it was because of the amazing game it turned out to be but mostly the amazing roleplay community that kept things going once the pew pew novelty wore off.

 

CoH is a great game in the current climate. Several years back I had left it, went to Champions Online for a while, grew bored with it, played WoW, grew bored with it, then came to check CoH, paid for a month, came in, looked around, got icked at the old graphics (THEM HAND MITTS!) and logged off after half an hour and didn't log again for the rest of the month I had just paid.

 

But the day of abundant MMO riches is past and the fact we can play CoH without a sub, and just log in at any moment and not worry because our gear and whatever current power mechanic is now several tiers late making catching up a hassle also is CoH's strength. We can always just log back in at any moment, not worry about 'wasting' a month's sub to play a few days in a month and just have our fun.

Have you tried FFXIV? I've been playing during my CoH downtime and having a good time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...