Page 6 predictions!

Neogumbercules

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

If these other servers had 5 shards and a test server it'd amount to lets say $1500.  You're telling me redundancies and other QoL features would rack up to be 3-4x the cost of running the thing? 

You need to read @Jimmy's post again,

The hardware demand isn't determined by the number of SHARDS, it's determined  by the number of PLAYERS.

• Like 4

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

2 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

You need to read @Jimmy's post again,

The hardware demand isn't determined by the number of SHARDS, it's determined  by the number of PLAYERS.

image.gif.a258209b9b157e4165ad2c9a6dbec6b1.gifOr don't even bother with listing that, up their donation amount still, and be more transparent with what's cooking as far as what affects us all in the game.  I could care less about what they list out for donations so long as they get what they need plus some for their work on the game we all care for.  

6 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Are you even comprehending what your're quoting me of?  The cost of running just one shard no backups or redundancies is about $150 as illustrated on some of these other offshoots.  Assuming a better host I'm giving them the benefit of $250 a shard.  So backups and redundancies total out to be triple the cost of what it would take to run the whole thing?  Mkay. 

You're telling me car repair services don't include the cost of labor in their repairs?  They can list their expenses with certain costs maybe built in and I'm hoping they get some of the money for doing this and want them to add cost of labor to their donation tabulation and up the donation amount.  Or don't even bother with listing that, up their donation amount still, and be more transparent with what's cooking as far as what affects us all in the game.  I could care less about what they list out for donations so long as they get what they need plus some for their work on the game we all care for.  

Don't be naive.  

Stop.

They can't accept payment for what they're doing.  Not at this time, in the middle of negotiations with NCSoft.  It's not only not on the table, it's not going to be anywhere near the table until the negotiations are concluded, for better or worse.

Furthermore, you don't understand how the money they are getting is being used, why their server expenses are higher than other groups', and you don't seem to be willing to educate yourself.  That's a very poor position from which to launch snippy comments and weak insults.  You're also being ungrateful for the time the HC team has invested and continues to invest in this, at their own expense, at the expense of spending time with their families and other hobbies, and that's an even worse position.

Take a breath, calm down, read up on what you're shouting at them, and me, about, and come back when you can discuss it rationally.

• Like 8

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Mezmera said:

I'm pretty familiar with that power.  I'm not sure how confused I am yet, I may need another application before I notice the effect.  Hopefully valid critiques aren't being brushed aside as "confusion", typically confusion is born out of secrecy. 

If these other servers had 5 shards and a test server it'd amount to lets say $1500.  You're telling me redundancies and other QoL features would rack up to be 3-4x the cost of running the thing?  Look I think you all deserve to get monies for your work, or at least a ham sandwich.  I'd actually advocate for bumping up the donation amount and officially classify Stars and a few other hard workers on this thing as an actual dev team.  I get there's responsibility that would come with that acknowledgement but so be it there's already some more expectation on this project than the others.  

As an outsider learning about what had went on prior to HC it's pretty upsetting but honestly it's water under the bridge.  Going forward is where I'm more apt to hold for more accountability.  Hence why I don't like the idea of secret servers where I hear already top tier Fire powers are getting buffs and no one but the old guard has a say.  I'm hoping the new blood can get mixed in a bit with the old gatekeepers to get more creative discussions. 

Again:

Accountability?!

Are you mad?!

These people aren't accountable to you. You're just some random person playing on their privately-owned server.

The Homecoming team have gone above-and-beyond in being transparent with everything, even when they didn't need to.

Reign in your entitlement please.

Edited by Xanatos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

13 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Stop.

They can't accept payment for what they're doing.  Not at this time, in the middle of negotiations with NCSoft.  It's not only not on the table, it's not going to be anywhere near the table until the negotiations are concluded, for better or worse.

Furthermore, you don't understand how the money they are getting is being used, why their server expenses are higher than other groups', and you don't seem to be willing to educate yourself.  That's a very poor position from which to launch snippy comments and weak insults.  You're also being ungrateful for the time the HC team has invested and continues to invest in this, at their own expense, at the expense of spending time with their families and other hobbies, and that's an even worse position.

Take a breath, calm down, read up on what you're shouting at them, and me, about, and come back when you can discuss it rationally.

I am calm.  They can't take payment for what they are doing I know this hence why I'm insinuating my hopes are that it's likely a cost built into their donation structure.   

Here's a good quote for you "Look Mr. Wayne, if you don't want to tell me what you're doing, when I'm asked I won't have to lie, but don't think of me as an idiot."

I never was shouting, that's you're assumption.  Since old habits die hard I'm picking up on the more transparency train, game development, could care less about the actual donation allocation. 

Edited by Mezmera

3 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

Accountability?!

Are you mad?!

These people aren't accountable to you. You're just some random person playing on their privately-owned server.

The Homecoming team have gone above-and-beyond in being transparent with everything, even when they didn't need to.

Reign in your entitlement please.

The vast majority of people playing on Homecoming are only able to do so because factions within the old Vanguard broke apart and it was leaked that someone had their hands on the keys to the game.  Whether it broke apart for reasons due to allowing more people to know about it good on them.  Or if it was about design contention well lets just be glad it came to fruition.  

21 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

The vast majority of people playing on Homecoming are only able to do so because factions within the old Vanguard broke apart and it was leaked that someone had their hands on the keys to the game.  Whether it broke apart for reasons due to allowing more people to know about it good on them.  Or if it was about design contention well lets just be glad it came to fruition.  

Tinfoil Hat Against Mass Media Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image.  Image 52234616.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

13 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

spacer.png

Can you please listen to what everyone is trying to say to you? Take a step back and read up on the stuff everyone was patient enough to try to provide you.

• Like 3

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Perhaps this topic has ran its course. If nobody wants to discuss Page 6 predictions, the thread can probably be locked.

In an effort to get back on track, here's a prediction: new Control power set, Sonic Control, with its signature T9 "Pied Piper" a mass confuse

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 minute ago, Bopper said:

Perhaps this topic has ran its course. If nobody wants to discuss Page 6 predictions, the thread can probably be locked.

In an effort to get back on track, here's a prediction: new Control power set, Sonic Control, with its signature T9 "Pied Piper" a mass confuse

I was just about to post that, glad I checked yours.

I'm predicting MM pet customization and controller pet AI improvents.

Edited by Dragotect

6 hours ago, Xanatos said:

What a horrible thing to say.

Donations are for those who support that the game should be back. They don't exist for people to dictate how.

Hell, I'd be happy to donate, I just honestly keep forgetting to look up where and how.   That and people apparently fill the quota faster than a PS5 preorder sells out.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mezmera said:

what I don't want to see is more of what took place for those secretive 7 years.  

Everything that transpired in those seven years after The Snap led us to where we are today. Everyone has access to the code, everyone can play on whatever open servers they like and (imaginary deity of your choice willing) this one will soon have legitimacy.

If you had been the one making those choices eight years ago, what would you have done?

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Ok, back on the topic of predictions

* All Regeneration characters will have that armor set changed to Willpower. The players affected will be granted a character respecification  and directed to ancient infomercials of Ron Popiel for build advice.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

2 hours ago, Mezmera said:

Are you even comprehending what your're quoting me of?  The cost of running just one shard no backups or redundancies is about $150 as illustrated on some of these other offshoots.  Assuming a better host I'm giving them the benefit of $250 a shard.  So backups and redundancies total out to be triple the cost of what it would take to run the whole thing?  Mkay. 

You're telling me car repair services don't include the cost of labor in their repairs?  They can list their expenses with certain costs maybe built in and I'm hoping they get some of the money for doing this and want them to add cost of labor to their donation tabulation and up the donation amount.  Or don't even bother with listing that, up their donation amount still, and be more transparent with what's cooking as far as what affects us all in the game.  I could care less about what they list out for donations so long as they get what they need plus some for their work on the game we all care for.  

Don't be naive.  

I invite you to look at each of the monthly recaps for finances and donations. They show with statements where the money is going. None of it is going to developer time. The donations have nothing to do with adding new content to the game. That is all developer time, which is free. All the donations go to cover costs in running the servers as has been clearly shown. 

Also, ready Jimmy’s post again. 

• City Council

Sure, you can run a shard for 50-100 people or so on a $150/mo dedicated server. However, the game wasn't designed for that and running everything on one box is a bit of a house of cards -- I promise you from experience it will crumble once you put any kind of serious load on it. Our smaller shards have several times that number online on a slow night.

As Jimmy said, we don't run one shard per server. Not only is that a bad idea for reliability but it's also an inefficient use of hardware and it would cost more, assuming we could even find a single server large enough to host something like Excelsior without crashing and burning. We run a clustered multi-shard setup with shared global services that's much closer to the way the game was run when it was in retail. That takes a higher class of hardware.

There are multiple people on the team with enterprise-level operations experience, and I'm confident that our costs (on a per-player basis) are quite a bit lower than a professionally hosted MMO would be, despite being close to that level in terms of server reliability.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7