DC Universe to end streaming service

So I've been a subscriber to DC Universe Online and was sent a survey last week which I took the time to do. It was rather exhaustive and covered which sections I use and which could use improvement. This week I get an email from them saying they will be ending their streaming service in October and moving some of the content there to HBO and HBO Max. I'm kind of disappointed but I've also only been subscribed for 2 months and I've watched everything all ready. It does look like they plan on expanding the comic reader service though so that's good if you subscribe for the comics library.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

• 2 weeks later

IF we never have to see their version of Starfire again, I'm cool with it going away. Not a race thing either, actually casting all the Tamaraneans was black would have been a cool idea, but if you want to cast Starfire,  you cast someone that looks like this:

spacer.png

Not this:

spacer.png

Edited by Judasace

I'm not terribly surprised.  I've been saying for some time now that it is an unsustainable model for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to have their own paid-access streaming service.  Just how many of these do they think the average subscriber can sustain?  What needs to happen is something like the old cable service model, where all these highly-specialized streaming services become "channels" in a few single-pay collective streaming services.  So we get the equivalent of a Time-Warner, Comcast, Spectrum, etc., but unlike their continued market monopoly, You'd have a choice, and might be able to handle two a month.  Netflix, Disney-Hulu, and Amazon seem the best positioned to become the foundations for these collective services.  That said, I'm not sure the pubic is ready to go back to a whopping cable bill-equivalent every month.  They might have to create something like a smaller package deal: pick x number of channels with option to rotate per quarter, or some such.

• Like 1

• 3 months later

I cancelled my annual DC Universe subscription because they moved the originals to HBO Max.  I have no interest in the other HBO offerings and felt kind of cheated since they did not lower the subscription amount.

I will have to say, I was never fond of the comic side of DC Universe.  Full disclosure, I have been a Marvel Unlimited sub for years.  DC missed one major feature that Marvel has, sort by original publish date.  One series added to a list was fine, but if I started adding more titles (like all the Legion titles in the 90's) to one list, I had to alternate adding one issue in one series then the other to read in proper order.  It just seemed too cumbersome when a simple sort would solve that.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:13 PM, Techwright said:

What needs to happen is something like the old cable service model, where all these highly-specialized streaming services become "channels" in a few single-pay collective streaming services. 

I work for Comcast* and for 15 years, I've heard endless complaints from people who wanted "a la carte" programming so, now that it's nearly upon us, it's interesting to see people begin to realize how unfeasibly expensive those standalone options will be.  

(*I have nothing to do with tech support, billing or customer service, so don't yell at me.)

• Like 1

Original CoH player [2004-2012]; Freedom Server

• 6 months later